Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help: Bad saddle sore! Alternative activity most-close to cycling?
Quote | Reply
I have a bad saddle sore and can’t ride until it heals. I’m looking for an activity that’s as close to cycling as possible since I’m ramping up for IMCoz. Any ideas? Today I did the stairclimber/stairmaster at my gym and was surprised it really got my heart rate up! It seems like stairmaster works cycling muscles-has anyone subbed cycling for stairmaster or other machine/exercise?
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Bad saddle sore! Alternative activity most-close to cycling? [cestmoi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How long are you thinking it will take to heal?

Just a week or two? Really anything that uses the legs... Stair master, elliptical, running...

I had really good crossover from running to cycling this year. I ran 6x and biked 1-2x still ended up with high ag bike splits. So, if it were me... I'd just run more.
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Bad saddle sore! Alternative activity most-close to cycling? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I’m going to up the running a bit but I’m worried about missing a long ride waiting til I can sit on a saddle, so I was thinking stairmaster since it works the glutes. Elliptical doesn’t increase my HR enough to be much of a workout
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Bad saddle sore! Alternative activity most-close to cycling? [cestmoi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm certainly not recommending it but I lanced mine this year when I got really bad ones and then put some kind of diaper rash stuff on them I forget what it's called. Worked amazing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
elliptical
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Bad saddle sore! Alternative activity most-close to cycling? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
I'm certainly not recommending it but I lanced mine this year when I got really bad ones and then put some kind of diaper rash stuff on them I forget what it's called. Worked amazing
I had bad ones earlier in the season, and a buddy told me the holy trinity of saddle sore treatment is nystatin, hydrocortisone (the Rx stuff, not the cheap drug store 1%), and bacitracin (or triple antibiotic). So I tried it.. it's not like it disappears overnight, but it's better than waiting it out. Personal experience - it'll make it manageable to ride with maybe one day off, and gradually get better even as you ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Bad saddle sore! Alternative activity most-close to cycling? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:

Nope- not looking for remedies for saddle sores—looking for alternate activities so I don’t loose bike fitness. I’m not taking the chance of it getting infected!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cestmoi wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

Nope- not looking for remedies for saddle sores—looking for alternate activities so I don’t loose bike fitness. I’m not taking the chance of it getting infected!
Do you actually know anyone who's gotten an infected saddle sore? I know of one person who did, and yeah it wasn't pretty for him. But for the most part they just come and go and are just annoying. So if you're bound and determined to just wait it out, it still doesn't hurt to apply a remedy to speed up the healing time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cestmoi wrote:
Yeah, I’m going to up the running a bit but I’m worried about missing a long ride waiting til I can sit on a saddle, so I was thinking stairmaster since it works the glutes. Elliptical doesn’t increase my HR enough to be much of a workout

I don't really think you need to "worry" about missing one (or even two) long rides. Given that you are 4 weeks out, you should be at your peak. You aren't going to lose anything---especially since you are going to up the run a bit.

I think the elliptical would be the most "specific" to the cycling motion (speed of contraction, etc), but it certainly takes some coordination to do right...which I don't have, so I understand not being able to get your HR up.

I think one of those stair master's that lets you alter the step height would also work (the kind with two levers that you stand on), if you kept the step height similar to pedal stroke length, and took faster steps (similar to your normal bike cadence). I wouldn't think one of those stair climbers (the escalator style) would be as good, because the cadence would be SOOO different from normal running/cycling cadences.

But, you're only talking about a week or two. So, just doing SOMETHING/anything will keep your current fitness just fine. Do an extra run, do an extra swim, and spend some time on the stairmaster instead of a long bike. Just don't hurry back to the bike and risk another saddle sore, and you will be fine.

My second $0.02.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SQUAAAAATS!!!!

Seriously. Call it cross training. Youd be surprised how much basic weight training can help, given specificity. Good luck, man!
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Bad saddle sore! Alternative activity most-close to cycling? [777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
777 wrote:
SQUAAAAATS!!!!

Seriously. Call it cross training. Youd be surprised how much basic weight training can help, given specificity. Good luck, man!

I got it!!! Call Ashley Horner... she'll hook u up
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Stairclimber/stairmaster should be fine for you. Cycling and stairclimbing are really similar in the muscles recruited and used, as well as the cardio. I'd say stairclimbing has a lot more in common with cycling rather than running, actually.

Standing cycling can be considered.

Our YMCAs also have the Precor Adaptive Motion trainer in quantity; check to see if your gym has them as they are super popular now. They look like ellipticals but actually you can have a huge range of leg stride motions from cycling to running, so you can def do standing cycling-type workouts on them. I found them really legit for cardio and leg beatdown; I've been using it more as a running substitute to alleviate my ankle arthritis but it def does cycling motions really effectively too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rowing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speed Skating
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pics or it didn't happen............

------------------------------------------------------------
"PAIN is nothing compared to what it feels like to QUIT" Wink
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cestmoi wrote:
I’m not taking the chance of it getting infected!

Pretty easy to keep that from happening.

Open it, squeeze a few times (mine bleed like crazy), put some alcohol and antibiotic on it, ride as usual. Ya, it hurts to be grinding on an open wound, but... man up.
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Bad saddle sore! Alternative activity most-close to cycling? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had one this summer that I damn near lanced, glad I didn’t. I alternated triple antibiotic & a gel epsom salt treatment I bought at Walmart, one in the morning & one at night. Resolved itself rather quickly & rode through it.
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Bad saddle sore! Alternative activity most-close to cycling? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
cestmoi wrote:

Open it, squeeze a few times (mine bleed like crazy), put some alcohol and antibiotic on it, ride as usual. Ya, it hurts to be grinding on an open wound, but... man up.

I just remembered. A And D is what works for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Bad saddle sore! Alternative activity most-close to cycling? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Speed Skating

+1

Eric Heiden and many other great cyclists were/are great speed skaters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
cestmoi wrote:

That's what I did...Hot shower, let it soften up a bit, and squeeze until hurt like a bey0tch (and bled). Alcohol after shower, then a triple antibiotic. I've done that at least 2 times over the past couple of years.
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Bad saddle sore! Alternative activity most-close to cycling? [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ripple wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

I had bad ones earlier in the season, and a buddy told me the holy trinity of saddle sore treatment is nystatin, hydrocortisone (the Rx stuff, not the cheap drug store 1%), and bacitracin (or triple antibiotic). So I tried it.. it's not like it disappears overnight, but it's better than waiting it out. Personal experience - it'll make it manageable to ride with maybe one day off, and gradually get better even as you ride.

Preparation H works for mine. Never miss a workout. And they still will disappear in a day or 2 using prep H. But you have to be consistent with use. Dries it right up.

Second thing is figure out why you got it. Either fit, saddle or shorts. Fix the problem. I tried a new saddle, which helped a little, but it turned out that the new Chamiox in Pearl Izumi shorts this year didn't agree with me. Switched to different shorts and no more problems.
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Bad saddle sore! Alternative activity most-close to cycling? [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting .. it is important to figure out the "why". I was using chamois cream and stopped, and they've been gone since spring. I know some people swear by cream, I did too, but it seemed like the padding was irritating me and stays better put without it.
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Bad saddle sore! Alternative activity most-close to cycling? [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ripple wrote:
Interesting .. it is important to figure out the "why". I was using chamois cream and stopped, and they've been gone since spring. I know some people swear by cream, I did too, but it seemed like the padding was irritating me and stays better put without it.
Good point. Depends on shorts whether cream should be used.
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Bad saddle sore! Alternative activity most-close to cycling? [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
efernand wrote:
Quote:
Speed Skating

+1

Eric Heiden and many other great cyclists were/are great speed skaters.

Yes!!! Totally agree....now where to find me a speed skating oval :P
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Bad saddle sore! Alternative activity most-close to cycling? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
cestmoi wrote:

I don't really think you need to "worry" about missing one (or even two) long rides. Given that you are 4 weeks out, you should be at your peak. You aren't going to lose anything---especially since you are going to up the run a bit.

I think the elliptical would be the most "specific" to the cycling motion (speed of contraction, etc), but it certainly takes some coordination to do right...which I don't have, so I understand not being able to get your HR up.

I think one of those stair master's that lets you alter the step height would also work (the kind with two levers that you stand on), if you kept the step height similar to pedal stroke length, and took faster steps (similar to your normal bike cadence). I wouldn't think one of those stair climbers (the escalator style) would be as good, because the cadence would be SOOO different from normal running/cycling cadences.

But, you're only talking about a week or two. So, just doing SOMETHING/anything will keep your current fitness just fine. Do an extra run, do an extra swim, and spend some time on the stairmaster instead of a long bike. Just don't hurry back to the bike and risk another saddle sore, and you will be fine.

My second $0.02.

Thanks for this! my gym has two kinds of stair steppers - "escalator style", which wasn't great because the stepping cadence is low, and the other, one that is like stepping on levers, was much better, since you can, as you said, take large or small steps. I definitely think this is keeping my glute and hammy strength up while I can't sit on the bike!!!
Quote Reply