Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Powertap P1....anyone else experience this?
Quote | Reply
Really frustrated with my PowerTap P1 pedals. I purchased them in 2016 and after an issue with the original battery cover caps, they've worked really well - linked up nicely with my Edge 520 and providing rock solid readings. Trained with them up to IMLOU this past weekend. In my final bike checkup, the tech noted the bearings on the right pedal appeared to be going south, but she didn't think they were so bad that I needed to service/change them. Drove to Louisville through terrible driving rains. First practice ride, I get nothing, nada, zippo from the pedals. Hmmm. Go back to the hotel, change the batteries, pop in new lithium AAAs, pull up the app on the phone - the app only sees the right pedal (the one with questionable bearings). I change batteries again, towel out the inside of the battery compartment, the cover (no moisture apparent), but still nothing. I leave the case open overnight in hopes this might dry the battery out. Next day, nothing. Sigh. So I get to ride on heart race, RPE, and perceived cadence. Frankly, the crap weather had me ride rather conservatively, especially on the downhills, but having a working PM might have had me put out a stronger effort on the flats and climbs since I hadn't been focusing on heart rate all summer, but rather on power.

Sorry for the long megillah on this, but has anyone else had similar issues? I really didn't appreciate riding on a pair of $800 Look-alike pedals for my big race of the season and I've learned that bearing maintenance has to be done by Powertap to the tune of $150. This hardly seems like a particularly "bulletproof" product given its high cost.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap P1....anyone else experience this? [globetrotterjon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had problems with mine though the details differ from yours. After about two years of use my power numbers turned to garbage. They'd spike, they'd drop to zero, I'd get periodic 100%-0% L-R readings, and so on. I exhausted the potential fixes (firmware update, new batteries, new battery caps) and then contacted Powertap. They wanted $300 to address it and I can't convince myself it's worth it given all the other problems I know people have had, including the bearings issue you've had.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap P1....anyone else experience this? [globetrotterjon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I purchased my P1's in May/June 2016. Earlier this year I started riding again after taking a 6 month break. When I started using the pedals again my left side pedal was working; however, my right side pedal was not discoverable. I changed batteries (I've only used lithium), I tried the old battery caps, tried cleaning the inside, no avail. I was able to momentarily get it to show up on the iPhone Powertap app and attempted to update the firmware on the right pedal. After it 'completed' the task, I never did get it to show as discoverable again. Luckily mine were still under warranty, only by a couple of months. I was able to send them back and they fixed them. I received them a couple of months ago, but they're still sitting in the box as I ended up taking the year off due to a knee injury. When they returned them, they suggested pulling the batteries out of the pedals when not in use.

I've never had issues with power spikes/power drops/R-L imbalances. Other than this issue, I have been very happy with the performance of the pedals.
Last edited by: boyle_supremacy: Oct 18, 18 7:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, the P1's have always been spectacular at knowing when I had a race coming up and deciding that was the time they were going to die. I'm on my third or fourth set, can't really remember anymore. For some asinine reason PowerTap always makes you do the new batteries and new caps dance before admitting that they're fried and allowing you to send them in. Mine are finally out of warranty so I'm counting down the days before they die again and I finally switch to something else. Maybe I'll just pay the $300 for another year or so of life when they do.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap P1....anyone else experience this? [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, that's bad news!

In my case adjusting the battery cap with 3Nm torque was the answer for some time, a little bit more or less and the pedals wouldn't give any response. Now I just started the new batteries and caps move :(
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap P1....anyone else experience this? [lcparlatto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That did happen to me one time where it was just a little loose
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap P1....anyone else experience this? [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My right P1 pedal came totally loose tonight (before I started a ride on the trainer I noticed it). The pedals are out of warranty, so I guess I'm going to have to just bite the bullet and pay the $175 fee to get them looked at.

This may be a dumb question, but is there any reason to have my local bike shop look at it before shelling out the $175 to PowerTap? I do understand the PowerTap P1's have proprietary bearings and all..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two years of working flawlessly for me!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
globetrotterjon wrote:
Really frustrated with my PowerTap P1 pedals. I purchased them in 2016 and after an issue with the original battery cover caps, they've worked really well - linked up nicely with my Edge 520 and providing rock solid readings. Trained with them up to IMLOU this past weekend. In my final bike checkup, the tech noted the bearings on the right pedal appeared to be going south, but she didn't think they were so bad that I needed to service/change them. Drove to Louisville through terrible driving rains. First practice ride, I get nothing, nada, zippo from the pedals. Hmmm. Go back to the hotel, change the batteries, pop in new lithium AAAs, pull up the app on the phone - the app only sees the right pedal (the one with questionable bearings). I change batteries again, towel out the inside of the battery compartment, the cover (no moisture apparent), but still nothing. I leave the case open overnight in hopes this might dry the battery out. Next day, nothing. Sigh. So I get to ride on heart race, RPE, and perceived cadence. Frankly, the crap weather had me ride rather conservatively, especially on the downhills, but having a working PM might have had me put out a stronger effort on the flats and climbs since I hadn't been focusing on heart rate all summer, but rather on power.

Sorry for the long megillah on this, but has anyone else had similar issues? I really didn't appreciate riding on a pair of $800 Look-alike pedals for my big race of the season and I've learned that bearing maintenance has to be done by Powertap to the tune of $150. This hardly seems like a particularly "bulletproof" product given its high cost.

Same thing to me at IMMD this year. Trained on them leading up to the race. Went for check ride Friday and they were working fine. Race morning couldn't get them connected, got out of water and they weren't connected still. Raced on HR alone.

Sent them back last Thursday and got an email saying the bearings were bad on them. They apparently fixed them and I should be getting them back today. Crappy time IMO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a similar experience with P1. Everything was working fine before the race. I've took the pedals off during bike transfer. I don't remember exactly where I put them, in my backpack or in the bike case. Probably in the case and they probably got thrashed during the flight.

Starting the race, Garmin 520 shows 0 power. Garmin 935 shows ~100W. As I realized later, the left one was showing 0 power, the right one, that's supposed to work through the left one was showing the real numbers. I'm not sure why 520 was not showing at least half.

To my surprise, back home during the next couple of rides the situation started to improve gradually. Left power was about ~30%, then ~50%. I even got achievement from Garmin Connect for 50%/50%. Right now the pedals are working fine.

Next time I'll try to bring the pedals with me in the hand luggage.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap P1....anyone else experience this? [ppkestrel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ppkestrel wrote:
Two years of working flawlessly for me!
Same. Well the first pair had the R pedal fail after a couple of months. Replaced under warranty and some then almost 2.5 years of flawless running.

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3
GT - Sensor Carbon Expert

Supporters - Flo Cycling, Mount Bikes
Quote Reply