Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

WADA and canabis: what’s “Prohibited in competition” mean?
Quote | Reply
This may be a stupid question, but with legality in Canada, I found myself on the WADA site to try to understand what the actual status of this is. It said it’s “Prohibited during competition.”

Does that mean that you can’t smoke a fatty in your car and go do a race (good!)? Or does that mean that you can’t do it any time leading up to your race? I’ve read it is fat soluable, so I wonder if they would be able to test for when it was actually consumed. Would smoking or eating the night before show up? Would there be a distinction?

Mostly just curious, it was never really a thing for me.

Quote | Reply
geodee wrote:

Sure. ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: WADA and canabis: what’s “Prohibited in competition” mean? [geodee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
geodee wrote:
This may be a stupid question, but with legality in Canada, I found myself on the WADA site to try to understand what the actual status of this is. It said it’s “Prohibited during competition.”

Does that mean that you can’t smoke a fatty in your car and go do a race (good!)? Or does that mean that you can’t do it any time leading up to your race? I’ve read it is fat soluable, so I wonder if they would be able to test for when it was actually consumed. Would smoking or eating the night before show up? Would there be a distinction?

It means that if tested in-competition, you cannot exceed the threshold.
Quote Reply
Re: WADA and canabis: what’s “Prohibited in competition” mean? [geodee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do hope that people no longer give the "Marijuana isn't addictive" BS. Just don't do drugs kids, mmkay!

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: WADA and canabis: what’s “Prohibited in competition” mean? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In-competition vs. out of competition simply means WHEN you are tested.

For 99.9% of AG athletes or anyone NOT on the whereabouts program this isn't an issue as USADA or equivalent won't be showing up at your door for a piss test. What you then need to worry about is being over the acceptable limit if tested IN-competition if they pull your #.

Practically speaking that means within 40 days of competition don't be smoking weed or consuming products. And now that its legal, its no different than beer so it's not even something to have to worry about. Post training ride brownies....yum.
Quote Reply
Re: WADA and canabis: what’s “Prohibited in competition” mean? [RONDAL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RONDAL wrote:
For 99.9% of AG athletes or anyone NOT on the whereabouts program this isn't an issue as USADA or equivalent won't be showing up at your door for a piss test.

Showing up at your door isn't in-competition, so cannabis is never an issue except at in-competition tests.

Also I thin you're incorrect. A significant portion of amateur/age-group sanctions recently has been from out-of-competition testing. E.g. tip-line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WADA has a very high threshold for Cannabis compared to the NBA for example.... like a factor of 10x higher.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: WADA and canabis: what’s “Prohibited in competition” mean? [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAB wrote:
WADA has a very high threshold for Cannabis compared to the NBA for example.... like a factor of 10x higher.

This, basically WADA did not know how to handle this. Previously at 50ng and then they just raised it to 150ng.

For reference 150ng is “gross dependency”

I think most jobs if you are over 10-15 in safety critical you are fired.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: WADA and canabis: what’s “Prohibited in competition” mean? [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
realAB wrote:

This, basically WADA did not know how to handle this. Previously at 50ng and then they just raised it to 150ng.

For reference 150ng is “gross dependency”

I think most jobs if you are over 10-15 in safety critical you are fired.

Maurice
WADA doesn't want to lose all the Olympic snowboarders.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The WADA threshold for a positive test result is 150ng/mL. That is an incredibly high standard and effectively means if you avoid smoking in the transition area pre-race or in the hotel room that morning, you’ll be fine. For most people you could even take a few hits the night before without worries.

As a matter of context, in an employment context, most employers consider anything above 50ng/mL a positive test result. This is the level set by the US DOT regulations covering a number of industries, including truckers, pipeline, etc. Even at this level most people will be clear after about 72 hours - that’s not the case though for habitual users.

DISCLAIMER: I’m a lawyer but not your lawyer.
Quote Reply
Re: WADA and canabis: what’s “Prohibited in competition” mean? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
RONDAL wrote:

For 99.9% of AG athletes or anyone NOT on the whereabouts program this isn't an issue as USADA or equivalent won't be showing up at your door for a piss test.

Also I thin you're incorrect. A significant portion of amateur/age-group sanctions recently has been from out-of-competition testing. E.g. tip-line.

i agree the SANCTIONS have been from out of comp testing, but those are as you pointed out with evidence through the tip lines, so the age old "where theres smoke theres fire". I stand by my point, for the vast majority WADA isn't coming to your door for a test. Given weed isn't against WADA out of comp, there is no concerns for them showing up for weed, it would have to be something else.
Quote Reply
Re: WADA and canabis: what’s “Prohibited in competition” mean? [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WADA didn't want to lose all the off-season NBA players.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
In-competition refers to the period commencing twelve hours before a competition in which the athlete is scheduled to participate through the end of the competition and the sample collection process related to the competition.

Out-of-competition refers to any period which is not in-competition.

Definitions for In-Competition and Out-of-Competition are taken from the WADA Code.

One needs to make sure they are below the threshold at the latest 12 hours prior to the race for an in-competition test.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I make my living as a professional skier (using the word living very broadly here). I am on whereabouts testing and get test all the time in and out of competition. I also ingest marijuana along with many of my teammates. I have never actually heard of anyone failing doping control for a positive THC test (for the record they are not testing for CBD). We are all well aware of the rules and I try very hard to make sure I am within them. This being said, some of my teammates do not and I am sure could have been in jeopardy of testing positive for THC at some point. All of this being said, many of us are of the belief that USADA/WADA does not actually test for THC when doing urine screens and possibly even when they chose to take blood (it is expensive and not worth it). The only times I have ever had my blood taking for doping control were in the in the lead up to the games last year. THC actually stays in urine for a very long time. It does dissipate over time but it is my understanding that because it is stored in the fat, for some people it will show up in their urine for quite a while. Just my two cents on the issue.
Quote Reply
Re: WADA and canabis: what’s “Prohibited in competition” mean? [t1dtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny that a skier is now on this thread. In some circles the WADA threshold of 150 ng/ml is referred to as the “snowboarders” rule. Previously the WADA threshold was 15 ng/ml which is a crazy low level and if I remember correctly the low limit of testing equipments ability to register a positive result. Anyways, a Canadian snowboarder won the first gold medal but tested positive around 17-18 ng/ml. He argued it was from second hand smoke but was disqualified. Eventually though the disqualification was reveresed.

WADA absolutely tests for THC via urine. It’s a cheap and easy test. However, because the threshold is so high you virtually never hear of a positive test result. Anything below the threshold is reported back as a negative result regardless of the level detected.

You are corrected that THC stays in the system for awhile but as I mentioned previously because the threshold is so high even ingestion the night before is fine for recreational users. Habitual users, especially those using for “medical” purposes but without a TUE, need to be more careful though.

DISCLAIMER: I’m a lawyer but not your lawyer.
Quote Reply