Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Supplements might actually work...
Quote | Reply
because they contain actual drugs and it appears the FDA knows this and has done very little to address it.

So maybe you're not just pissing your money down the drain, on the other hand maybe you'll have a heart attack or something because that natural supplement isn't so natural.

https://www.npr.org/...at-herbal-supplement

Quote Reply
Re: Supplements might actually work... [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whenever I see a GNC I always think, “wow, a whole chain of stores containing nothing.”

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet. Did they give any hints as to which ones might contain the cocaine?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
because they contain actual drugs and it appears the FDA knows this and has done very little to address it.

The FDA only regulates drugs, not supplements. Do you really want supplements to fall under FDA regulation?

I have little problem to leaving supplements in the wild west. Buyer beware.
Last edited by: trail: Oct 12, 18 19:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, there has been a steady increase in the number of athletes (college and pro) who have gotten popped for a banned substances and have been able to trace it back to an otherwise "permissible" supplement. Unfortunately for them, it does not exonerate them from the suspension/fine, but it does shed light on the supplement industry.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Supplements might actually work... [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

The FDA only regulates drugs, not supplements. Do you really want supplements to fall under FDA regulation?

Pretty sure they would fall under F part of the FDA. You cant sell a food product that's laced with a drug, if discovered they would force a recall.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Supplements might actually work... [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

Exactly.

Also that article on NPR is an example of why journalism has a horrible name these days. Supplements are "tainted." How much is tainted? Do they contain traces of drugs or are they "laced" (per Davhamm) with effective doses? Seems like click bait.

I even reviewed the linked JAMA article, and some of the tables, but could find no reference to dosage. Did I miss it? Or is dosage not relevant?

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:

So maybe you're not just pissing your money down the drain, on the other hand maybe you'll have a heart attack or something because that natural supplement isn't so natural.

https://www.npr.org/...at-herbal-supplement

If I hadn’t read your title and only the first sentence I would have bet money you were talking about tap water.
Quote Reply
Re: Supplements might actually work... [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
Pretty sure they would fall under F part of the FDA. You cant sell a food product that's laced with a drug, if discovered they would force a recall.

That's a fair point. Like they did with ephedrine, which, when combined with shit-tons of caffeine, could cross over into a public health risk.

But per H-'s point, it's not clear from the article if that line has been crossed with these other supplements. Dose is everything. Per the comment above, there are trace elements of drugs in the water supply, and presumably all kinds of foods.
Quote Reply