Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Kona Press Conference: IM CEO State of IM Interesting Facts [Jelana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jelana wrote:
That's a great deal. I was mostly talking about day-to-day stuff. The most I spent on a meal in SA was $40, and that was a really nice full course meal, including a beautifully prepared fillet and a few glasses of great wine. I figure that meal would have cost me minimum $200+ at home, and lord only knows what in Nice. Just an example. I'm estimating I saved at least a few hundred dollars just on food over the course of the trip.

Wow $40 for that kind of meal is fantastic is right. I might not even get decent tacos in Nice for that price. Especially since the USD is weaker than the EURO.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Press Conference: IM CEO State of IM Interesting Facts [Skyline Chili] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skyline Chili wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
Where will the Russia race be located?

Cities haven’t been announced to date.

It's an interesting choice given how strict the visa rules are for entering Russia as a tourist (to include needing a visa sponsor/voucher) if you're from North America, UK, most of Europe, AUS/NZ... well most of the world save for South America, former Soviet Bloc, and some Asian and African countries.

I wonder if WTC is going to partner with some Russian tourism group in order to satisfy the Russian-based visa sponsorship hurdle. Otherwise the travel to Russia is a bit complicated.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Press Conference: IM CEO State of IM Interesting Facts [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AKCrafty wrote:
Nearly 2500 athletes...I think I'd rather go watch and drink from the sidelines than race it considering the costs involved to get there.

A 25%+ increase in racers in the last five years. Oof.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Press Conference: IM CEO State of IM Interesting Facts [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I was wondering about that...but then Americans bought the most tickets of any nationality not Russian for the World Cup. Not sure there were 20k sponsors for just Americans.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Press Conference: IM CEO State of IM Interesting Facts [Skyline Chili] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is Nice that much more expensive than Paris?

Recently had dinner for two by the arc de triumph steak tar tar and escargot with real Champaign for less than $100 US
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Press Conference: IM CEO State of IM Interesting Facts [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RBR wrote:
Is Nice that much more expensive than Paris?

Recently had dinner for two by the arc de triumph steak tar tar and escargot with real Champaign for less than $100 US

No. Paris is 20% more expensive than Nice for just about everything.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Press Conference: IM CEO State of IM Interesting Facts [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are the problem in this world, quit eating snail!

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Oct 12, 18 19:31
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Press Conference: IM CEO State of IM Interesting Facts [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've casually looked into it (not for IM race). It seems like can get a sponsor letter from the hotel that you are staying at. If it's that simple, a the local RD can give a sponsor letter to any registered athlete and their entourage.

The GMAN wrote:
Skyline Chili wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
Where will the Russia race be located?

Cities haven’t been announced to date.

It's an interesting choice given how strict the visa rules are for entering Russia as a tourist (to include needing a visa sponsor/voucher) if you're from North America, UK, most of Europe, AUS/NZ... well most of the world save for South America, former Soviet Bloc, and some Asian and African countries.

I wonder if WTC is going to partner with some Russian tourism group in order to satisfy the Russian-based visa sponsorship hurdle. Otherwise the travel to Russia is a bit complicated.

Quote | Reply
Skyline Chili wrote:
TRIPRO wrote:
rrheisler wrote:
Relying on a free, stable technical platform was a genius idea.

I'm sure Facebook (and in turn, brands like WTC) will figure out a way to monetize video content in a subscription based service - but that pivot hasn't yet come.

But they miss all people with ipads tablets since they do not support flash.....

Use the NBC Sports app to steam it.

You can also stream on an iPad from the Facebook app :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Great stats!
Wonder if the 10% increase in IM Includes both the 70.3 + full distance or just the full distance

Based on casual observation, the 70.3 has taken off and continue to grow whereas i do think there has been a stagnation in the full distance apart from Europe!
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Press Conference: IM CEO State of IM Interesting Facts [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
I’m more confused about the fact that I thought they couldn’t add anymore people to the pier hence why it’s not 50/50 for pros.

WTC think that the current male/female split for pros is fair. Their refusal to make it 50/50 has never been about space on the pier, and I'm pretty sure that they have never stated that it was.

Space on the pier (and the course) is the reason why they can't make significant increases to the number of competitors. But from a business planning point of view it makes sense for them to always keep some slack back so that they have the option to use Kona slots as incentives to sell races, and for when new races are added so they don't have to go and take 1 or 2 slots from other races to give the new race some slots.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Press Conference: IM CEO State of IM Interesting Facts [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Yeah I was wondering about that...but then Americans bought the most tickets of any nationality not Russian for the World Cup. Not sure there were 20k sponsors for just Americans.

If you bought a match ticket from an official source, you got with it a special "World Cup" visa that was valid for something like 20 days before through to 20 days after the world cup.

I saw a lot of travel tips recommending that people buy a ticket to the cheapest match they could find to get the visa to make a trip to Russia easier/cheaper - actually using the match ticket being optional.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m trying to wrap my head around going to France and ordering taco’s :)

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Press Conference: IM CEO State of IM Interesting Facts [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:

Wait.... we actually have 20,000 soccer fans in the USA?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, that's why we need that wall.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Press Conference: IM CEO State of IM Interesting Facts [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
:-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skyline Chili wrote:
Jelana wrote:
That's a great deal. I was mostly talking about day-to-day stuff. The most I spent on a meal in SA was $40, and that was a really nice full course meal, including a beautifully prepared fillet and a few glasses of great wine. I figure that meal would have cost me minimum $200+ at home, and lord only knows what in Nice. Just an example. I'm estimating I saved at least a few hundred dollars just on food over the course of the trip.

Wow $40 for that kind of meal is fantastic is right. I might not even get decent tacos in Nice for that price. Especially since the USD is weaker than the EURO.

There are so many small restaurants in Nice that you can eat like a king with totally fresh items for a lot less than you may think. I would absolutely love to go back there as it's one of my favorite spots. Gorgeous water, crazy scenic bike and run along the coast with amazing food? What's not to like? Some teammates biked down to Monaco while they were there.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:

They simplify the visa process for people with tickets.
Quote Reply

Prev Next