Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Car Review: I Drove a Model 3 Today... It Was Pretty Cool [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
fierceSun wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
As I have said, Tesla put a lot in one package (and charged for it) also has done a wonderful job of marketing and even has turned some negatives into positives. None of that changes the fact, the car is not a technological marvel that no one else could do. All GM products come with the App feature you mention. Many cars have adjustable suspensions. I don't know of any sensing technology unique to Tesla.

Your post seems to be defending your purchase of Tesla, its a great car and great package and has all the shit in it. My point was its not a new technology marvel.

I'm not saying no one else can do the individual parts that Tesla has done. But no one has put all those parts in an individual car, that is why the Tesla is a marvel.

1. According to NHTSA test results the 3 best performing cars are the 3 tesla models.
2. No other brand of cars have the ability to do Over The Air updates that can update the entire car (updating all sub-system computers). Such as the charger, drive unit, HVAC controls, User interface, Braking, Autopilot hardware, etc.
3. The model 3 is one of the most efficient cars ever built. This is due to a combo of technologies including special tires, aerodynamics, drive unit efficiency, inverter efficiency, charger efficiency and temperature controls.
4. Fun to drive. Tesla manages all the above while having immense amount of power, torque and traction without sacrificing handling with econo-box suspensions.

The marvel of a Telsa is the "you can have your cake and eat it too mentality" of having a safe, efficient, hi-tech, stylish and fun vehicle all wrapped into one.

What other car can do all that?

I think this is the first time I have replied to you on this thread, regardless to answer you last question. again none. But none of that is an advanced technology which is what we started off discussing. Not that the Tesla is not a marvelous vehicle, a unique vehicle, a marketing and packaging marvel.

Then I'm not sure what you consider an "advanced technology". Does it have a Mr. Fusion? No. Is its technology better than the competition? Yes.

That and at it owns 1/2 of the worlds EV Battery production.
Quote Reply
Re: Car Review: I Drove a Model 3 Today... It Was Pretty Cool [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:

And as far as technological advancement, Tesla has been granted hundreds of patents
https://patents.justia.com/...y/tesla?list=patents

Using your link one level back it gives patents by company.

Hell linkedin has almost as many as Tesla

Then you get to the real patent heavy company

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Car Review: I Drove a Model 3 Today... It Was Pretty Cool [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am the only one who read the thread title and thought it said "Model T"?

I'm so disappointed.

Driving a Model T really would have been all sorts of cool.
Quote Reply
Re: Car Review: I Drove a Model 3 Today... It Was Pretty Cool [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:

I'm so disappointed.

Driving a Model T is really weird as nothing works like it does in a modern car. The dam thing doesnt even have a gas pedal.

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Car Review: I Drove a Model 3 Today... It Was Pretty Cool [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:

I'm so disappointed.

I've been a passenger in a Model T. It's terrifying! I thought the damn thing was going to fall apart and we were only doing 25mph on a really nicely paved road. Also, I could barely fit in it.
Quote Reply
Re: Car Review: I Drove a Model 3 Today... It Was Pretty Cool [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
satanellus wrote:

I'm so disappointed.

I've been a passenger in a Model T. It's terrifying! I thought the damn thing was going to fall apart and we were only doing 25mph on a really nicely paved road. Also, I could barely fit in it.

I think that's as close as we're likely to come to a review of the Model T.

For that, I thank you. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
satanellus wrote:

I'm so disappointed.

I think that's as close as we're likely to come to a review of the Model T.

For that, I thank you. :-)

Greenfield Village in Dearborn Michigan has a fleet and your can take a ride in one around the village. Very cool little trip. We use to be members with a ride pass, and my wife and kids went one day and rode like 30+ times cause it was a slow day. All the drivers knew them, and started letting the kids steer or work the throttle, they loved it. GreenPlease be happy they didn't go faster, the brakes on Model T's are not great and it can take a long time to slow from 35 or 40.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Re: Car Review: I Drove a Model 3 Today... It Was Pretty Cool [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Fishy, I know that you are the LRs biggest Tesla Fanboy. So when is the $35,000 model coming? or was that just the world's greatest bait and switch?

Doubtful it will be out before the Tax credits disappear. Some think it will be a long time if ever.

Oh I know the answer. The answer is that it was a tremendous bait and switch.

The $35,000 model 3 will never exist.

FYI. $35k Model 3 was released today. Existing Model 3's will get a software update that gives them about 5% more power.
Quote Reply
Re: Car Review: I Drove a Model 3 Today... It Was Pretty Cool [Burhed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
does the 35 K include autopilot and any other colour than black? Cool car but they advertise this price that is about 15K less than the real price. And they give you the price after estimated fuel savings.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Car Review: I Drove a Model 3 Today... It Was Pretty Cool [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
does the 35 K include autopilot and any other colour than black? Cool car but they advertise this price that is about 15K less than the real price. And they give you the price after estimated fuel savings.

In case you can't find it, here is the website for ordering. All your questions will be answered.

https://3.tesla.com/model3/design#battery

Colour other than black is extra. Autopilot is $3k extra. The $35k is the price, not factoring in the current $3275 tax credit or gas savings.
Quote Reply
Re: Car Review: I Drove a Model 3 Today... It Was Pretty Cool [Burhed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Burhed wrote:
BLeP wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Fishy, I know that you are the LRs biggest Tesla Fanboy. So when is the $35,000 model coming? or was that just the world's greatest bait and switch?

Doubtful it will be out before the Tax credits disappear. Some think it will be a long time if ever.

FYI. $35k Model 3 was released today. Existing Model 3's will get a software update that gives them about 5% more power.

Yes, I saw that. And to make any money they will close a bunch of stores, lay off a bunch of employees and this particular model will only be available for order online.

But yes, they did manage to release this model at that price. In black.

I guess he figures Henry Ford was on to something...

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Burhed wrote:
len wrote:

In case you can't find it, here is the website for ordering. All your questions will be answered.

Colour other than black is extra. Autopilot is $3k extra. The $35k is the price, not factoring in the current $3275 tax credit or gas savings.

this, or something like it, is going to be my next car. i would imagine i'll be waiting another 5yr or so before i get what i want, which is, closer to 500mi range, self-driving. i'm going to limp along with what i've got until then.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Car Review: I Drove a Model 3 Today... It Was Pretty Cool [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Burhed wrote:
len wrote:

this, or something like it, is going to be my next car. i would imagine i'll be waiting another 5yr or so before i get what i want, which is, closer to 500mi range, self-driving. i'm going to limp along with what i've got until then.

Just curious why want 500 mile range? Tesla has the Supercharger network that makes long distance travel easy. I drive a lot for my job (not in a Tesla) and I can't go more than 2 hours with out getting out for biological reasons. Hopefully the other manufacturers can do something about the long distance travel infrastructure.

I've admitted it before and I'll admit it again, I'm a total Tesla fanboy (Tesla, not necessarily Musk). Maybe they'll be out of business in 5 years, but hopefully they will have pushed EV technology to the point that it is widely available.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Supercharger network needs more capacity. Badly.

I rarely have to use the public chargers but I did this week in San Diego. All charge spots were full and I had to wait to charge. Lots of 3s in the spaces.

Further, when I searched for charge locations, the web was saying that all local supercharge spots were full.

I have a chargepoint account but that’s not really a viable option for a full charge as I dont believe they have supercharging capabilities.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Burhed wrote:
Just curious why want 500 mile range? Tesla has the Supercharger network that makes long distance travel easy. I drive a lot for my job (not in a Tesla) and I can't go more than 2 hours with out getting out for biological reasons. Hopefully the other manufacturers can do something about the long distance travel infrastructure.

I've admitted it before and I'll admit it again, I'm a total Tesla fanboy (Tesla, not necessarily Musk). Maybe they'll be out of business in 5 years, but hopefully they will have pushed EV technology to the point that it is widely available.

well, look, i'm naive to this. i want to be able to get from socal to mammoth, the bay area, and across the desert to arizona and utah, without getting stuck. so, i don't mind stopping. i mind stopping for hours. as long as there are charging stations, and enough spots on those stations so that i'm not in a queue to charge, and i can get a charge fairly quickly, i'm good. so let me rephrase: i'm good with a 300mi range if the ability to recharge to 100 percent comes down to, say, 20min or 30min.

but this does bring up an interesting new business opportunity: charging stations at restaurants; or restaurants (or at least food trucks) at charging stations.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Car Review: I Drove a Model 3 Today... It Was Pretty Cool [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Burhed wrote:
BLeP wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Yes, I saw that. And to make any money they will close a bunch of stores, lay off a bunch of employees and this particular model will only be available for order online.

But yes, they did manage to release this model at that price. In black.

I guess he figures Henry Ford was on to something...

They are laying of sales staff because they are getting rid of showrooms. If this means the end for car salesmen, I'm not going to shed a tear.
Quote Reply
Re: Car Review: I Drove a Model 3 Today... It Was Pretty Cool [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Burhed wrote:

well, look, i'm naive to this. i want to be able to get from socal to mammoth, the bay area, and across the desert to arizona and utah, without getting stuck. so, i don't mind stopping. i mind stopping for hours. as long as there are charging stations, and enough spots on those stations so that i'm not in a queue to charge, and i can get a charge fairly quickly, i'm good. so let me rephrase: i'm good with a 300mi range if the ability to recharge to 100 percent comes down to, say, 20min or 30min.

but this does bring up an interesting new business opportunity: charging stations at restaurants; or restaurants (or at least food trucks) at charging stations.

As JW13 says the Supercharger network even needs expansion, especially in CA. I'm in the Midwest, so it's not currently much of an issue.

Telsa has a map that is interesting to play with. https://www.tesla.com/trips Enter what vehicle you have, where you want to go, and it gives you what stops you need and charge time. This is also built into the car, with the car giving you more accurate information and Supercharger availability.

Many Superchargers are near restaurants and shopping centers. Unfortunately on our first road trip any money we saved on gas was spent on merchandise purchased at the shopping centers that we probably wouldn't have stopped at normally!
Quote Reply
Re: Car Review: I Drove a Model 3 Today... It Was Pretty Cool [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are three Tesla dealerships and two showrooms within ten miles of my house.
Quote Reply

Prev Next