Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

heart rate during half marathon
Quote | Reply
Yesterday I ran my first stand alone half marathon. I've run two half marathons and a full marathon in triathlons though.
I always struggle to keep my pace down at the start of the run during the triathlons and blew up on my last half marathon in a tri. This was in May.
Yesterday went reasonably well and I ended up with a negative split, however, I was surprised by my heart rate during the race.

I'm a 39 year old male. Up to September this year I thought my max heart rate was about 196, never been above that in the last 2 years. But in september during a sprint tri at the sprint to the finish I hit 202.
My lactate threshold, estimated through a Garmin test (I use a Garmin 935 with the tri chest-strap), has been hovering between 174-177 the whole year, most recently it was estimated at 175 in september.
At the run of the half distance tri in september my average hart rate was 175, reaching a max of 189 in the sprint to the finish.

My rest heart rate earlier in the year hovered around 50-52, but the last few months (since an Ironman and slight overtraining in the month before) it has been a little higher, 54-55.

Yesterday morning I felt good, and my rest heart rate after waking up was 52 again, for the first time in months that it was so low.

I was hoping to keep my heart rate below 165 in the first 5k and under 170 in the first 10k and then see how I felt so I wouldn't blow up. I did 1k in the middle of a 7k run earlier this week and had a max heart rate of ~160 at a pace slighty faster than I was planning to run. But I also had in mind that at races my heart rate is often a little higher than during training.

Just after the start I saw a club mate running about 50m ahead of me and after about 1km I had caught up with him. He was basically running at the pace I was hoping to run so we ran together the rest of the race. The pace felt good, rpe about 7, we chatted every now and again. Not full stories, but I could easily speak short sentences. The heart rate was a bit higher than anticipated though, hitting 170 in 10 minutes and in Zone 5 (as estimated by Garmin starting at 175) after about 15 min.
After 14k I felt good and we accelerated to get a negative split. Soon I saw my heart rate hit 190, but again, didn't feel too uncomfortable. Roughly the last 30 min I ran 190+, and the last 15-20 min 194-195+. The last 10 minutes were hard though, but up to then I could still speak a few words every now and then and breathing in general was under control.
I ended up with an average heart rate of 181. Almost 1.5 hours in Z5 and above my estimated lactate threshold. Today my legs ache a little, but not too bad and I have no issues with walking up and down the stairs. Biked to work this morning fine too.

I'm surprised that I could maintain such a high heart rate (190+) for such a long time (about half an hour). Does this fall in a normal range? Or should I check my heart rate monitor? Or should I maybe do some proper testing for heart rate zones? I have done a bunch of different tests over the past years and the threshold heart rate hasn't varied that much, neither did the max heart rate until it jumped up in september this year.
Quote Reply
Re: heart rate during half marathon [TriStart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had a similar experience recently. About 45 minutes in the 190-195 range. Max 202.
Watching this thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
some people just have higher HRs than others, also your HR zones are wrong if you're doing Z5 for 90 minutes. If it was me, i'd borrow a friends HRM and watch (preferably a different brand or style) and go for a run(wearing both HRMs); easy, hard, tempo, uphill, downhill, you know, go for a fun run over a wide range of intensities. if the HR data matches, reset your HR zones with your recent half mary data and move on with life. if it doesn't match, then it gets more complicated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stayed in Zone 4 for 70% and Zone 5 for 30%. Average HR over the race was at 88% of Max and I got to 10 beats under my max for the last 5 minutes of the race. This was just under my LT HR which from everything I've read, is where you want to be for a half marathon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems high for a 39 yo... but, as with all things HR-related, ymmv. I last saw those kinds of numbers several years ago in my early 20's, but before I had the aerobic base I have now and at a time when I was much less aerobically fit.

Keep in mind lots of things impact HR on a given day. Caffeine, dehydration, stress, sickness, fatigue, chronic training load,etc. See a doctor if you are concerned.
Quote Reply
Re: heart rate during half marathon [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadTownTRI wrote:
See a doctor if you are concerned.

Assuming the heart rate monitor was reading correctly, and my max HR is indeed 202, is there a reason to be concerned?

I might do a run as suggested this coming weekend if I feel enough recovered. I should have another watch lying around somewhere and have another heart rate strap lying around too which I think still works. However, nothing over the past week has suggested the HR monitor is reading wrong, the profiles look all normal too, no weird spikes and drops (although one very short drop during the run).

Half marathon profile:
[url=https://ibb.co/gMEOyp][/url]

7k run with a 1km slightly faster than race pace a few days before:
[url=https://ibb.co/jn4Oyp][/url]

Run at the start of the week where I did 5k at the race pace I hoped for at the time. In the end I aimed 5-10 sec per km slower as it felt too hard. However I ended up only doing 3 sec slower than that. I did some warm up exercises in the beginning where I stopped the watch, also at the end of the 5k I stopped the watch for a bit when I walked to recover, hence the drops.
[url=https://ibb.co/g0U1jU][/url]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't be worried, I'm a few years younger than you, but my last marathon I averaged 185 which creeped up to 190 the last 5k. Really depends on your real max hr and I am guessing it is quite a bit higher than 202. I have never tried getting my exact number but guessing it's around 210. Hr varies a lot between athletes.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: heart rate during half marathon [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
I wouldn't be worried, I'm a few years younger than you, but my last marathon I averaged 185 which creeped up to 190 the last 5k. Really depends on your real max hr and I am guessing it is quite a bit higher than 202. I have never tried getting my exact number but guessing it's around 210. Hr varies a lot between athletes.

To add, I recently read that having a higher HR is not a marker of athletic or aerobic ability. If someone knows otherwise, please chime in.
Quote Reply
Re: heart rate during half marathon [Chan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For sure that is true, a better marker is low resting hr.
Here is what someone a lot smarter than me says regarding the effect of low resting hr
"With every heart beat (contraction of the heart pump), a certain amount of blood (stroke volume) is pushed through the system. The contraction frequency of the heart is the heart rate (HR). The amount of blood moved to the cells of the body every minute is the product of the heart rate and stroke volume (HR x strove volume).
With physical activity (exercise) more oxygen is required by the muscle cells, and the circulatory system responds by increasing the heart rate (and the cardiac output). With aerobic training, the actual amount of blood pumped per heart beat (stroke volume) increases and the efficiency of the exchange process at the capillary level improves. The result is a lower heart rate for any level of physical activity in the trained versus the untrained individual. Thus aerobic training benefits include:

a lower resting heart rate
a lower heart rate for a specific level of exertion
an increased exercise capacity at an individual's maximum heart rate. "
http://www.cptips.com/hrmntr.htm

Quote Reply
Re: heart rate during half marathon [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I though it was shown many years ago that restong heart rate compared to others means nothing

What is important is you exercising heart rate compared to your own reading heart rate

Wasnt there some Olympic 1500 runner whose resting heart rate was something like 70 BPM
Quote Reply
Re: heart rate during half marathon [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you not read my post? Cause that’s pretty much what I posted and what the link says as well. You max hr is unchangeable, you can however work faster and better at a given hr if you are more fit.
Resting hr is useless compared to others, but useful when checking your fitness. I check my hr every morning, and it tells me if my training is going the right direction, if i need a rest day etc.

Last edited by: oscaro: Oct 8, 18 21:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Were you tapered for the half marathon? In my experience, tapering makes a big difference to my HR at higher intensities. When I'm training every day, I can't get my HR much above 170, I certainly can't keep it above 170 for long without blowing up, and it takes some very high intensity efforts to get it up there.

When I'm tapered it's a different story. During race week I'll typically throw a few short, high intensity surges into my training to just blow out the cobwebs, and it's common to see my HR shooting up to high 180s or even low 190s during those surges. On race day I find that an average HR that is 5-10bpm higher than my race pace training sessions is sustainable. I put some of this down to psychology as well - even when I race untapered I dig deeper than I ever do in training, and see slightly higher HR as a result
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriStart wrote:
Yesterday I ran my first stand alone half marathon. I've run two half marathons and a full marathon in triathlons though.
I always struggle to keep my pace down at the start of the run during the triathlons and blew up on my last half marathon in a tri. This was in May.
Yesterday went reasonably well and I ended up with a negative split, however, I was surprised by my heart rate during the race.

I'm a 39 year old male. Up to September this year I thought my max heart rate was about 196, never been above that in the last 2 years. But in september during a sprint tri at the sprint to the finish I hit 202.
My lactate threshold, estimated through a Garmin test (I use a Garmin 935 with the tri chest-strap), has been hovering between 174-177 the whole year, most recently it was estimated at 175 in september.
At the run of the half distance tri in september my average hart rate was 175, reaching a max of 189 in the sprint to the finish.

My rest heart rate earlier in the year hovered around 50-52, but the last few months (since an Ironman and slight overtraining in the month before) it has been a little higher, 54-55.

Yesterday morning I felt good, and my rest heart rate after waking up was 52 again, for the first time in months that it was so low.

I was hoping to keep my heart rate below 165 in the first 5k and under 170 in the first 10k and then see how I felt so I wouldn't blow up. I did 1k in the middle of a 7k run earlier this week and had a max heart rate of ~160 at a pace slighty faster than I was planning to run. But I also had in mind that at races my heart rate is often a little higher than during training.

Just after the start I saw a club mate running about 50m ahead of me and after about 1km I had caught up with him. He was basically running at the pace I was hoping to run so we ran together the rest of the race. The pace felt good, rpe about 7, we chatted every now and again. Not full stories, but I could easily speak short sentences. The heart rate was a bit higher than anticipated though, hitting 170 in 10 minutes and in Zone 5 (as estimated by Garmin starting at 175) after about 15 min.
After 14k I felt good and we accelerated to get a negative split. Soon I saw my heart rate hit 190, but again, didn't feel too uncomfortable. Roughly the last 30 min I ran 190+, and the last 15-20 min 194-195+. The last 10 minutes were hard though, but up to then I could still speak a few words every now and then and breathing in general was under control.
I ended up with an average heart rate of 181. Almost 1.5 hours in Z5 and above my estimated lactate threshold. Today my legs ache a little, but not too bad and I have no issues with walking up and down the stairs. Biked to work this morning fine too.

I'm surprised that I could maintain such a high heart rate (190+) for such a long time (about half an hour). Does this fall in a normal range? Or should I check my heart rate monitor? Or should I maybe do some proper testing for heart rate zones? I have done a bunch of different tests over the past years and the threshold heart rate hasn't varied that much, neither did the max heart rate until it jumped up in september this year.

Do you enjoy running? Because this sounds like a miserable way to run.
Quote Reply
Re: heart rate during half marathon [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds strange. Your numbers are very similar to mine. I can feel fine and be suprised by a higher hear rate than my RPE would indicate up to about 185. Above that and I really feel it (hurting).
Quote Reply
Re: heart rate during half marathon [Karstenks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let me guess, you've got a Garmin with Optical HRM??
Quote Reply
Re: heart rate during half marathon [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Loved the run! Was exactly as it should be, first half comfortable and enjoyable, next 5 km starting to feel a litle harder but well in control, after that building up to the final km of really pushing myself. My running at the moment is not at its best. After an IM in August I took some time off and gained some weight. Only started training regularly again a few weeks ago, but the race went better than expected, so a good day :) Also, I had never run in such a big race (>10,000), which gave a pretty cool overall vibe I have to say.

I have a garmin 935 with optical HR, but ran with the tri-chest strap, as always. All 3 profiles shown are from the tri chest strap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am really surprised by those max heart rate figures you have.
Depending on the formula used your predicted max HR should be around the 180 bpm mark. One would expect a distribution around this value depending on the formula used of anywhere from 7-12 bpm (SEE), meaning having a max HR around the 200 mark is quite a few deviations from the predicted max for you.
I am not sure of the accuracy of the garmin above certain heart rates?
Given you are using a chest strap and the data appears quite consistent, seems like you have a naturally very high max heart rate, just way outside what is predicted for your age.
Sorry not really helping your discussion much, just surprised at such a high maxHR!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heart rate is influenced not only by metabolic strain but also circulating catecholamines. During a race you will have more catecholamines than during usual exercise, thus elevating heart rate for a given metabolic strain. This is one explanation to why RPE to HR is off in some races.

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriStart wrote:
Loved the run! Was exactly as it should be, first half comfortable and enjoyable, next 5 km starting to feel a litle harder but well in control, after that building up to the final km of really pushing myself. My running at the moment is not at its best. After an IM in August I took some time off and gained some weight. Only started training regularly again a few weeks ago, but the race went better than expected, so a good day :) Also, I had never run in such a big race (>10,000), which gave a pretty cool overall vibe I have to say.

I have a garmin 935 with optical HR, but ran with the tri-chest strap, as always. All 3 profiles shown are from the tri chest strap.

I asked what I asked because it doesn't sound like running, it sounds like staring at a watch.

Ditch the HRM for racing, especially standalone. Just race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good point, I've been thinking about that. I really like numbers though, but I'm leaning towards putting up a screen on my watch which only shows time and distance and just race by feel. But for a first stand alone half marathon I thought that could be a bit risky, with my experience of starting too fast in runs in half distance triathlons. Thinking about running a few 10kms in the winter and maybe another half marathon in the spring and good chance I'll obscure the heart rate for myself during the race (but still record it to compare RPE and HR afterwards).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriStart wrote:
Good point, I've been thinking about that. I really like numbers though, but I'm leaning towards putting up a screen on my watch which only shows time and distance and just race by feel. But for a first stand alone half marathon I thought that could be a bit risky, with my experience of starting too fast in runs in half distance triathlons. Thinking about running a few 10kms in the winter and maybe another half marathon in the spring and good chance I'll obscure the heart rate for myself during the race (but still record it to compare RPE and HR afterwards).

Practice it in training. Learning to run by feel is so important for any runner.

I use an HRM as one tool in training, but over indexing on it isn't good. I, and virtually all decent run only runners, do plenty of efforts while training where we're learning how long different efforts can last and all that. It's invaluable for it to be 2nd nature in a race to be able to take stock of how you feel. I'm pretty sure I can go run a 10k with and without a watch and end within maybe 30s of eachother just by running on effort and most good runners will be like that too.

Plus, in a 5k I don't need an HRM to tell me that my stomach is on fire and my heart wants to jump out of my chest.:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suspect your max HR is higher than 202 - I'm pretty sure mine is 201 and anything above 190 is really cooking it - in a half marathon I target low 170s for the first 5k, mid-to-high 170s for the next 5k and then low-mid 180s for the remainder of the race - average is about where you were, 181 for the race...the difference being I don't go into 190s until the last .25 miles or so
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have almost identical HR numbers as a 32 year old. Just checked and my average HR for my last half was 177 and maxed out at 193. Was a perfect day for running. I felt like I ran an almost perfect race and may have left just a little on the table. That's just how my HR is. I can push 200 average for a 5k for reference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marklemcd wrote:
I use an HRM as one tool in training, but over indexing on it isn't good. I, and virtually all decent run only runners, do plenty of efforts while training where we're learning how long different efforts can last and all that. It's invaluable for it to be 2nd nature in a race to be able to take stock of how you feel. I'm pretty sure I can go run a 10k with and without a watch and end within maybe 30s of eachother just by running on effort and most good runners will be like that too.

Over indexing for you is under indexing for another. How we use and process data has far more to do with our personalities than our training method. Katie Ledecky plans her races and practices to the tenth of a second. Which doesn't mean you need to as well. It just means some are hardwired that way.
Quote Reply