Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

LOOK or Speedplay Triathlon Pedals?
Quote | Reply
I have been using Look but am looking into speedplay as it seems most serious athletes go for that so I am wondering general opinions and if anyone has made the switch and their thoughts. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: LOOK or Speedplay Triathlon Pedals? [Try_Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love them. Easy adjustment, double sided entry, low(est?) stack, light and aero. Have a set on every bike now
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have ridden SpeedPlays since the early 90's I would NEVER even consider Looks because they are just an inferior design. They are so adjustable, aero, light, rebuildable...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most serious athletes go for speedplays? I didn’t know that
Quote Reply
Re: LOOK or Speedplay Triathlon Pedals? [Afg53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're probably right I think that was a little bit of an unqualified statement I just meant I had seen them on quite a few pro setups and wanted to know general opinions on them over LOOK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been using Speedplay since I started in cycling (when the company sponsored the Bjarne Riis Team CSC). I have tried Look and SPD-SL and always went back and I can't imagine riding anything else. They are fantastic!! Now if they would only come out with a powermeter in them.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would go Shimano over Look. I'm not a fan of Speedplay, mainly due to the price.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have speed play pedals and have really struggled to get in and out of them. On my TT bike my shoes stay clipped in, so no big deal.

But for all the talk about double side ease of entry, I don’t get it. There are a few folks who struggle with the same issue. I bet if I bought another set it would be different (better), but I am not willing to risk it.

I will say other pedal systems are slower, which is why I ride them on my TT. Pedals for some don’t matter much, but for me and my pedaling style it is noticeable.

YMMV
Quote Reply
Re: LOOK or Speedplay Triathlon Pedals? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
I have ridden SpeedPlays since the early 90's I would NEVER even consider Looks because they are just an inferior design. They are so adjustable, aero, light, rebuildable...

Same here, I don't know that I will ever switch from Speedplay.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: LOOK or Speedplay Triathlon Pedals? [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRinSD wrote:
I have speed play pedals and have really struggled to get in and out of them.

Glad I’m not the only one. I’ve previously used Looks, Garmin, Powertap P1, and Shimano. I got some speedplay for my road bike this fall to try them out. I really struggled getting in the the first few rides. I’ve gotten better but I still think Shimanos are easier to get in.

As for Look. I used them for years before switching to Shimano Ultegra which I think are WAY better. Lower stack, larger platform, the clip in/out mechanism feels more solid.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I have not ridden Speedplay pedals I have set up cleats for a few friends.

They were the most difficult cleats to set up than any others I have worked on. To get them flat on the shoes required a few different shims, then we had to do adjustments to line them up correctly for the rider.

Maybe that's changed?
Quote Reply
Re: LOOK or Speedplay Triathlon Pedals? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have never understood the struggle that so many folks seem to have clipping into their pedals such that double sided entry is needed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went from X1 Speedplay on my last bike (2000 Tiphoon), to Look Keo Max when I got my 2010 Cer velo P3. I could not be happier, my feet are happier. My next pair of pedals on my next bike--likely in 2 years, will be Look again--unless something I like better pops onto the market. Used to race TIME before that--the sSpeedplays were a big improvement over those & the Look on the Speedplays as well.
Quote Reply
Re: LOOK or Speedplay Triathlon Pedals? [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve used ultegra, ,vector, time/mavic and speedplays.

I really liked liked all of them, however i felt time/mavic amazing and speedplays best overall.

The real difference from speedplay for others is that it doesnt work best at the very beginning, cleats and pedals needs a little bit of time do adapt to each other. Whenever i use new cleat or pedals i spend 5 min on the trainer just mounting and unmounting them.

I am currently using the aero on my tt bike, they lose one of the best characteristics of speedplay which is double side mount but they are light and confortable
Quote Reply
Re: LOOK or Speedplay Triathlon Pedals? [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In helping a lot of folks who struggled with the entry to Speedplays, I found that in all but one case the shims had not been used. This led to the screws being overtightened and curving the cleat. Using the shims fixes this. A dab of glue between the adapter plat and the shim will keep them from falling out.
Quote Reply
Re: LOOK or Speedplay Triathlon Pedals? [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks - I’m planning on moving them over to a different pair of shoes. Perhaps I chose the wrong shims. Hopefully it improves the entry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speedplay on both road and TT for over ten years now. The new walkable cleats are great, much improved over first edition. There can be a needed break in period for new cleats, I use the trainer for that. First time after installation can seem very had to unclip but after half a dozen on and off and some dry lube good to go. I grease the pedals every few months with marine grease and put dry lube on the cleats after very wet rides or super sweaty roller workouts. Once on a set of the ti pedals I had the pedal dislodge from the spindle, SpeedPlay replaced the set without issue. After knee surgery I liked being able to adjust the float too.
Quote Reply