Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ho'ala swim - Last PRO Test before the big dance [MTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last year Lucy Charles came 5 seconds short of Jodi Jackson 1999 Ironman Hawaii swim course record of 48:43. Today she swam on the feet of Josh Amberger and came in 47:09 at Ho'ala event. If next Saturday swim conditions are fairly good and no jellyfish in her way she has a good chance to beat that record.

I just hope that ROKA offers her a good Bonus if she breaks that record!

I don't see Josh getting near Lars Jorgensen swim record 46:41 because he's looking for an overall finish result. In the future if Lukasz Wojt qualifies for Hawaii he's the one with the really good chance of breaking that record.
Quote Reply
Re: Ho'ala swim - Last PRO Test before the big dance [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the insight.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Monty, do you think most pros swim this all out, or their race day pace?
Ya, I think that most of them go hard, until they don't, like the finishing couple hundred meters for many. And looking at the times, it looks like Lionel swam in a group with Wurf most the way, a bunch of people in that 30 second range, Lionel 24 seconds back of him at the finish. I would guess it was the larger of the groups that formed, and then some sprinted in, others just cruised in. Lionel's and Wurf's delta to the winners is encouraging though, that is a distinct improvement from last year and should bode well for both of them if conditions stay the same...
For the few leaders they of course drilled it, around 47 flat is a good time, even on the short course. And no surprise Lucy was able to hang on Josh's feet, he stand alone time pulling water the whole way says she would be fine at his pace in the draft. And a shout out to an old, old friend from the past who is doing Kona for the first time in many moons, Juliana Nievergelt, she has to be pushing 60 these days, and she still beat a lot of women pros here in a 55+!! Good luck Juliana!!
Looks like the course was neutral, not too fast, not too slow, just about average. Have to keep in mind that a lot of the folks are not fully tapered, another week to race, and a lot more fast feet to follow on race day, except for Lucy and Josh of course!!

Wow congrats to Julia....I have nothing else to add. That's a seriously fast time in her upper 50's!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Ya, I think that most of them go hard, until they don't, like the finishing couple hundred meters for many. And looking at the times, it looks like Lionel swam in a group with Wurf most the way, a bunch of people in that 30 second range, Lionel 24 seconds back of him at the finish. I would guess it was the larger of the groups that formed, and then some sprinted in, others just cruised in. Lionel's and Wurf's delta to the winners is encouraging though, that is a distinct improvement from last year and should bode well for both of them if conditions stay the same...
For the few leaders they of course drilled it, around 47 flat is a good time, even on the short course. And no surprise Lucy was able to hang on Josh's feet, he stand alone time pulling water the whole way says she would be fine at his pace in the draft. And a shout out to an old, old friend from the past who is doing Kona for the first time in many moons, Juliana Nievergelt, she has to be pushing 60 these days, and she still beat a lot of women pros here in a 55+!! Good luck Juliana!!
Looks like the course was neutral, not too fast, not too slow, just about average. Have to keep in mind that a lot of the folks are not fully tapered, another week to race, and a lot more fast feet to follow on race day, except for Lucy and Josh of course!!

Monty, you keep saying the new course is short. The new course is accurate. It seems like when you were doing it, it was also accurate (you guys used to finish on the other side of the pier). In between the course got longer when they moved the finish to this side of the pier and magically put the turn buoys out further. I concede that the distance to this side of the pier and the old side of the pier are pretty well the same, but it seems like the turn buoy location moved '"out" in between resulting in a 4-4.1k course vs 3.8k. Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Ho'ala swim - Last PRO Test before the big dance [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monty, you keep saying the new course is short. The new course is accurate.//

No, it is short from the old course. I'm pretty sure I have said this several times, but one more time since you must have forgotten. Yes, the old finish is a bit shorter, but the start now is a "lot" shorter than where we used to start. I remember swimming next to the pier for a very long time at the start before getting clear, now they start nearly at the end of the pier. There has been start creep since the late 80's, to where it has been for 20 years now at the end. Those two things basically cancel each other out, and the turnaround was a hard buoy that could not move, and of course the start is hardened as well

You are correct, the new course is an accurate 2.4, but it is short from the old standard course that was used for 35 years before it..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

No, it is short from the old course. I'm pretty sure I have said this several times, but one more time since you must have forgotten. Yes, the old finish is a bit shorter, but the start now is a "lot" shorter than where we used to start. I remember swimming next to the pier for a very long time at the start before getting clear, now they start nearly at the end of the pier. There has been start creep since the late 80's, to where it has been for 20 years now at the end. Those two things basically cancel each other out, and the turnaround was a hard buoy that could not move, and of course the start is hardened as well

You are correct, the new course is an accurate 2.4, but it is short from the old standard course that was used for 35 years before it..

OK I was not aware of the start creep that you explained. I thought the really old course was shorter than the recent "old course" which was longer than the really old and the new courses. I stand corrected.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I´ve raced in IM WC

2008 (59m10 247º Swim Position Overall +10m30 with Swim Leader Benjamin Sanson 48m40)
2010 (59m39, 201º +10m51, Andy Potts, 48m48)
2012 (1h00m48, 244º + 10m44 Andy Potts 50m04)
2014 (58m58, 140º, +8m02 Frodeno 50m56)
2016 (54m14, 137º +6m14 Harry Wiltshire 48m00)

And Ho´ala Training Swim
2014 (59m58 + 11m38 Rafael Goncalves, 48m20)
2016 (56m35 + 7m40 Lucy Charles 48m50)
2018 (55m59 + 8m41 Josh Amberger 47m08)

My swim abilities have improved since 2008; 48" in 1500 meters test (from 21m00 to 20m12)

I´m pretty sure that the 1st buoy is closer to Pier, at least since 2016. See pic (left is 2014, right is 2016)

Last edited by: luarca: Oct 6, 18 18:34
Quote Reply
Re: Ho'ala swim - Last PRO Test before the big dance [luarca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In other hand;

In 2018 I noticed a slow swim out (1m36/100 meters) and a faster back (1m19/100)
Quote Reply
Re: Ho'ala swim - Last PRO Test before the big dance [MTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like Holly Lawrence swam as a bandit.
Quote Reply
Re: Ho'ala swim - Last PRO Test before the big dance [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
monty wrote:

OK I was not aware of the start creep that you explained. I thought the really old course was shorter than the recent "old course" which was longer than the really old and the new courses. I stand corrected.

The creep is very strong with this race! Mostly amongst AG men, the women are easier to handle!

Having said that it is a numbers game, I don’t think the women (Ag) are any more polite or less aggressive just easier to manage due to the number racing.

Been in the water 4x at the start and will film it again this year, the pro field is easy to manage m/f so from my opinion reasonably close swims...Ag men....very tough to manage with the amount of great volunteers in the water.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Ho'ala swim - Last PRO Test before the big dance [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The creep is very strong with this race! Mostly amongst AG men, the women are easier to handle! //

HA, you are thinking of a different creep! Yes everyone on the start line likes to move forward the last minute, and the paddlers have a hard time keeping the herd in the paddock. But the creep I'm talking about is the actual start line. We used to start just a bit off the beach at dig me there, where over half the field would still be up on the parking lot when the gun went off. They slowly moved it out so that a few 100 could all start in the water, and then each year more and more, and at some point when it was 1500+ athletes, they just put that start line near the end of the pier. I would say 75 to 100 yards at least, enough to offset finishing at dig me instead of the inside beach..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

This race demonstrates definitively the effect of drafting in the swim. Lucy received roughly a 1:39 benefit from swimming behind Josh; 1.65 min/47.15 min x 100% = 3.5% faster. In all my years of swimming, I've never seen the draft advantage so clearly delineated. TBH, I did not think it would be this great, was thinking more like 2%. Since they allow drafting on the swim, g**da**it, they should allow drafting on the bike!!! Lionel would be SO pissed!! :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Ho'ala swim - Last PRO Test before the big dance [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 In all my years of swimming, I've never seen the draft advantage so clearly delineated. TBH, I did not think it would be this great, was thinking more like 2%.//

You must never have swam in a lane with 6 guys then, it is quite apparent that the draft advantage can be a lot higher than you even accept now. I figure there are times when I'm getting 5 seconds a 100, so depending on the pace, upwards of 7 or 8+%. And now we got Josh's take on the actual race, Lucy was only drafting about 1/2 of it apparently, so she got all those savings in about 2000 yards. I think for her in this race it was as much about being able to follow someone the second half, as much as trying to stay on his feet and getting a good pul. When you are all alone on the front picking your own route and pace, things slow way down in comparison to what happened here.

It will be a totally different swim for both of them on race day, as well as all the followers. I would suspect that Wurf and Sanders will have slower times on Saturday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
In all my years of swimming, I've never seen the draft advantage so clearly delineated. TBH, I did not think it would be this great, was thinking more like 2%.//

You must never have swam in a lane with 6 guys then, it is quite apparent that the draft advantage can be a lot higher than you even accept now. I figure there are times when I'm getting 5 seconds a 100, so depending on the pace, upwards of 7 or 8+%. And now we got Josh's take on the actual race, Lucy was only drafting about 1/2 of it apparently, so she got all those savings in about 2000 yards. I think for her in this race it was as much about being able to follow someone the second half, as much as trying to stay on his feet and getting a good pul. When you are all alone on the front picking your own route and pace, things slow way down in comparison to what happened here. It will be a totally different swim for both of them on race day, as well as all the followers. I would suspect that Wurf and Sanders will have slower times on Saturday.

Oh I've swum in lanes with 4 to 6 other guys but, until I started reading this forum, no one ever in all my yrs of swimming has said anything about the draft effect. Everyone just seemed to take their times for what they were. When you were swimming in college, were you aware of the drafting advantage??? I certainly was not. Perhaps b/c all swimmers know they will never be drafting in a pool race, they just don't think about it???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply

Prev Next