Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Interbike, Nothing to talk about?
Quote | Reply
t's been a while since it concluded, and even with a search here, I see nothing posted. I did see where Nick from TriRig was not impressed. Any thoughts or opinions? I thought the lack of buzz does not bode well for future....
Quote Reply
Re: Interbike, Nothing to talk about? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Browsing all the blogs, it seems like there wasn’t much for roadies or triathletes but MTB, gravel, and e-bikes saw a lot of new products. Everyone seemed pretty happy with the venue.
Quote Reply
Re: Interbike, Nothing to talk about? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea, the only thing I saw was Nick's review which stated it was pretty much a waste, and the post on FB that Dan had a crowd for his presentation. I guess I was surprised at the lack of buzz given the attempts to infuse some energy into the tri market. Seems a lot to do about nothing so little commentary or feedback.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought GPLama had a good video. But, yes I don’t think anything major was announced.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think what we, as triathletes, need to understand about cycling is that we are a very, very small segment of cycling. Not everybody cares about aero bikes and aero bars and aero helmets and aero cockpits...

Personally, after my short delve into gravel, I get it. Comfort sells. Versatility sells. Ease of use sells. At the end of the day this is a business.

One thing I’d like to add: watching GPLama’s walkaround, it seems like the likes virtual cycling apps and smart trainers had quite a presence.
Quote Reply
Re: Interbike, Nothing to talk about? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I think what we, as triathletes, need to understand about cycling is that we are a very, very small segment of cycling. Not everybody cares about aero bikes and aero bars and aero helmets and aero cockpits...

Personally, after my short delve into gravel, I get it. Comfort sells. Versatility sells. Ease of use sells. At the end of the day this is a business.

One thing I’d like to add: watching GPLama’s walkaround, it seems like the likes virtual cycling apps and smart trainers had quite a presence.

Oh, I understand how small we are. That said, I was frankly surprised that the tri outlets, including ST had so little publicity, reporting or buzz. TBI had ONE post and I saw nothing else. I did expect Dan to have some pearls of wisdom from the experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw one TT bike out in a hallway. I'm sure there were more but they were noticeably absent. Kind of low energy in feel, but I think Reno as a venue is way better than Vegas.

Very little new or interesting products that weren't previously out there. Few new tires and novel stuff, but it seems as though the industry is settling on Sea Otter as the US show (especially for MTB) TdF for new bike announcements, and Eurobike, along with more niche shows/expos like NAHBS, Kona and DK.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i've already posted about 2 products i saw at interbike (we have a front page). i have more coming.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Interbike, Nothing to talk about? [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
I saw one TT bike out in a hallway. I'm sure there were more but they were noticeably absent. Kind of low energy in feel, but I think Reno as a venue is way better than Vegas.

Very little new or interesting products that weren't previously out there. Few new tires and novel stuff, but it seems as though the industry is settling on Sea Otter as the US show (especially for MTB) TdF for new bike announcements, and Eurobike, along with more niche shows/expos like NAHBS, Kona and DK.

It seems from a distance that more needs to be added as far as seminars, etc to add some possible interest? With few product announcements and buzz, I can't see how it can remain relevant and improve the interest in tri. Perhaps combine a few "events" to draw more as to travel to a remote location for the same old stuff makes it not appealing to those not using a business expense account.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

DC Rainmaker has few things on his site.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Interbike, Nothing to talk about? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i've already posted about 2 products i saw at interbike (we have a front page). i have more coming.

I looked on the front page, but could not see your interbike new product(s) post.
Where is it exactly? Thanks.

Also, in the front page 'small cog conundrum' article (a good piece, by the way), Greg Kopecky wrote this:
Quote:
With the single chainring bikes, all of a sudden chainring and freehub swaps became a daily occurrence. Say it’s a flat stage – you want a tight-range cassette. You pick an 11-28, with a 53 tooth chainring. The next stage is steeper, so you pick an 11-36, keeping the 53 tooth chainring. The next stage is extremely hilly, requiring a move to the 10-42. New chainring, new freehub, new cassette. For the next stage, the 9-32 is most appropriate – new chainring, new cassette. It seems that rinsing and repeating this procedure was taxing – not to mention repeating the process for the spare bikes.

However, the article missed one of the biggest pains regarding changing the gearing of 1X bikes when doing chainring and/or freehub and/or cassette swaps. With the very wide range gearing of 1X bikes, chain tension is kind of important for the drivetrain to work correctly, and 1X gearing changes often also require a change of chain length. And THAT is where the real pain in the neck comes from. Clearly, one should not be breaking chains frequently (damages the chain and makes for catastrophic chain failure more likely), so obviously one needs a quick link. But to avoid breaking the chain, one then needs to have a full inventory of already assembled chains of different lengths to put on one's bike. Basically, you need a full inventory of different chain lengths for every single bike.

That is a big pain if you have just one bike.

But, if equipping a full team for road racing on 1X bikes, it quickly gets beyond kinda crazy. (in addition, of course, to needing to stock--a bigger stock than typically necessary for 2X--a range of cassettes and chainrings, again for every single bike).

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Sep 28, 18 13:20
Quote Reply
Re: Interbike, Nothing to talk about? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
one then needs to have a full inventory of already assembled chains

... or just a whole bunch of quick-links you can string together!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the reasons you’ve outlined I’ve decided to stick with 2x for everything except mtb (which is stochastic in nature and well served by 1x). It “hit me” earlier this summer when planning a vacation out to Colorado that I would need very different gearing for Boulder and The Vail Pass and that I wouldn’t just need a different chainring and cassette: I’d also need a different chain (if I didn’t want to “fudge” one of the setups).

2x still has its place. There are very few places I can’t ride with 52/36 11-30. Perhaps 1x12 with gearing similar to what 3T has done with their “bailout” cassette will change the calculus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Slowman wrote:

I looked on the front page, but could not see your interbike new product(s) post.
Where is it exactly? Thanks.

Also, on your front page 'small cog conundrum' article (good piece, by the way), you wrote this:
Quote:
With the single chainring bikes, all of a sudden chainring and freehub swaps became a daily occurrence. Say it’s a flat stage – you want a tight-range cassette. You pick an 11-28, with a 53 tooth chainring. The next stage is steeper, so you pick an 11-36, keeping the 53 tooth chainring. The next stage is extremely hilly, requiring a move to the 10-42. New chainring, new freehub, new cassette. For the next stage, the 9-32 is most appropriate – new chainring, new cassette. It seems that rinsing and repeating this procedure was taxing – not to mention repeating the process for the spare bikes.

However, in the article, you missed one of the biggest pains regarding changing the gearing of 1X bikes when doing chainring and/or freehub and/or cassette swaps. With the very wide range gearing of 1X bikes, chain tension is kind of important for the drivetrain to work correctly, and 1X gearing changes often also require a change of chain length. And THAT is where the real pain in the neck comes from. Clearly, one should not be breaking chains frequently (damages the chain and makes for catastrophic chain failure more likely), so obviously one needs a quick link. But to avoid breaking the chain, one then needs to have a full inventory of already assembled chains of different lengths to put on one's bike. Basically, you need a full inventory of different chain lengths for every single bike.

That is a big pain if you have just one bike.

But, if equipping a full team for road racing on 1X bikes, it quickly gets beyond kinda crazy. (in addition, of course, to needing to stock--a bigger stock than typically necessary for 2X--a range of cassettes and chainrings, again for every single bike).

look for rouvy and the phoenix hub. 2 or 3 more coming.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe not a super sexy product launch, but I like the k-edge di2 Mount that attaches to the head tube and sits below the stem.

This can get me away from zip ties and rubber bands that sometimes result in a loose wire and shift malfunction. Which has been a problem since running the cycliq 12 beneath my Garmin.

https://k-edge.com/...-junction-box-mount/
Quote Reply
Re: Interbike, Nothing to talk about? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, I just noticed that the 1X article was by Greg Kopecky and not you. Pardon the error.

Looking forward to your interbike scoops.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really don't know what will do it. On the way up I bumped into the owners of a shop in Folsom who hadn't been in years, and were going for the day. The regional draw could be interesting but I don't see how a fixed location is the way forward. Maybe it moves around the country to cycling hotbeds or something so that dealer have easier access.

Regarding products, yes, there were some new things. But 5 years ago most of this year's new stuff wouldn't have gotten noticed or would be buried in a roundup. The lack of big ticket items is apparent, especially by the lack of notable bike brands; Cannondale had a meeting room but wasn't on the show floor.

Actually the most interesting thing I saw was TrainerRoad's HQ, which is very impressive for a number of reasons (office space, gym, bike repair station, podcast studio).
Quote Reply