Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

cardiac drift and running zones
Quote | Reply
It has been pretty hot and humid where I live and I have noticed I am experiencing cardiac drift. Typically for an easy endurance run my heart rate is around 150. However when hot it will drift up to 160 to maintain that same pace, which is getting closer to tempo zone heart rate.

My question is - if my goal is to go out for a 1.5 hour endurance run. Should I simply go by perceived effort and pace? Or should I try to keep the HR down to stay in the proper zone, and have positive splits? Or start the run even slower in the 140 zone to account for the fact I will probably bump up to 150?

Appreciate any advice.
Quote Reply
Re: cardiac drift and running zones [connan23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The heart rate increases when it's hot, as that is the primary driver to regulate body temperature. Move more blood, and more water is transferred to tissues to replace that which is lost in perspiration. A 10 beat increase is typical. If its real hot and humid you can expect 15 beats.

I an not an expert however, I would say it's probably better to maintain your heart rate - which means your effort will be a little less than it usually is when cooler. I think a higher heart rate puts more stress on your system in these conditions. But I am not the expert.
Quote Reply
Re: cardiac drift and running zones [connan23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats not drift, that is just your HR when you do that pace in that temperature. We do not race in a controlled environment, so good to work out in various conditions to see what pace, power, you can actually hold or attempt to hold on race day.

Your running and cycling power are not disconnected to what the weather is, and your HR reflects that, pay attention. You do not get 10 more beats on the top end because you are running at 10 higher beats because it is hot, the engine will fail if you think that.

So for long runs/rides, keep the HR in the zone you set out to, for sprints or long rest intervals you can push that out further, as you will be stopping and resting before the radiator boils over...
Quote Reply