Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Omega X "Sticking" - Not Reverting to Neutral Position
Quote | Reply
Has anyone had trouble with their Omega X's not reverting back to normal position? Take a look at my video below to see what I mean. The black coating where the rollers sit seem to have worn off after only 8 months of having these brakes and there seems to be significant resistance when the brakes try to spring back.

I have cleaned them and there is zero dirt/grime and I have even put some lube in there to try and loosen things up but as of now I think I have a defective brake. There is adequate tension in the brake cable.

This has happened to a lesser extent on my front brake but I lubed up the rollers and they seem to be working ok. But for now I have to ride without a back brake which is super annoying and shouldn't be the case with a brake this expensive.

And yes, I have sent an email to Tririg support, but they claim a 2 business day turnaround and I want to ride in the meantime.

Thanks.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Omega X "Sticking" - Not Reverting to Neutral Position [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if that's on the bottom bracket its a common problem. It will continue to happen the only way to keep it from happening as often is to keep the orange rollers clean. they get gunked up with dirt. I wouldn't recommend a omega x for a underside mounted brake.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Re: Omega X "Sticking" - Not Reverting to Neutral Position [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
when you say you cleaned them, did you completely take them apart? my front one gets all mucked up from my front hydration and i have to completely take it apart, clean all the gunk off, and then add a dab of lube on the posts to get 'em working nice again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have spring-return brake levers?

Can you remove the brake cable and then test the action of the brakes without a cable in play at all? Or ideally, install just a loose piece of cable and actuate the brakes manually from the separate cable. If you see the same behavior without any cable in play, it confirms the issue in the brake. Any binding in your brake cable or brake lever would cause that symptom.

Just spit-ballin' here, but the problem is in the brake, then my hunch it is probably not the rollers & wedge. My hunch is that the problem is binding in the pivot point of the calipers. It is super-simple mechanically, and if that pivot is not smooth, then the spring will not be able to deliver enough force to pull the triangle back down. If you remove the triangle, do you feel smooth spring & return action compared to the front brake?

Since you have 2 brakes, have you tried swapping the front & rear to see if the problem moves with the caliper or stays with the installation location?
Last edited by: exxxviii: Sep 27, 18 12:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d recommend taking the brake completely off the bike and cleaning the pivots. I’ve had mine get gunked up and not want to open in the past. Check the cable while you’re at it. Hopefully you can get it working.
Quote Reply
Re: Omega X "Sticking" - Not Reverting to Neutral Position [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Per what was said here, I have a lot of experience with Omega brakes and my bet is that your issue is in your cable run/housing. Maybe a turn that's too tight and isn't allowing free movement of the cable? I've run an Omega (not an Omega X) in a behind the BB location on my Specialized Shiv TT for many thousands of miles without issue. But I had to work on the cable routing to the brake. Curves or bends that are too tight can create friction that the brake can't overcome. Shimano "Special Grease" lightly coated on the brake cable can make for smoother sailing through tight cable housing runs. But not too much so it doesn't become a dirt magnet.

Stay aero my friends.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you torque all the bolts correctly? That's typically the issue with TriRig product failures.
Quote Reply
Re: Omega X "Sticking" - Not Reverting to Neutral Position [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jazzymusicman wrote:
when you say you cleaned them, did you completely take them apart? my front one gets all mucked up from my front hydration and i have to completely take it apart, clean all the gunk off, and then add a dab of lube on the posts to get 'em working nice again

Yep I did - but it may have been too late. Generally I clean it out without taking it apart but I didn't realize that there is hidden grime sitting in there.

Tririg support already got back to me and offered to replace the wedge (Thanks!) but I am going to try WD40 first and maybe get the brake cable replaced as well.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Omega X "Sticking" - Not Reverting to Neutral Position [bobby11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bobby11 wrote:
Per what was said here, I have a lot of experience with Omega brakes and my bet is that your issue is in your cable run/housing. Maybe a turn that's too tight and isn't allowing free movement of the cable? I've run an Omega (not an Omega X) in a behind the BB location on my Specialized Shiv TT for many thousands of miles without issue. But I had to work on the cable routing to the brake. Curves or bends that are too tight can create friction that the brake can't overcome. Shimano "Special Grease" lightly coated on the brake cable can make for smoother sailing through tight cable housing runs. But not too much so it doesn't become a dirt magnet.

Now that you say that, I do recall my LBS shop mechanic tell me that the angle on the cable was tight, but having never run a brake cable I didn't give it a second thought. It was built by a different shop that may have faultily installed the cable. Would it be worthwhile to just get the whole cable replaced?

I just want to make clear that I didn't do any of this myself so it's hard for me to diagnose. But what you're saying makes sense in the context of what I have heard.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is just running in the SpeedConcept rear brake emulation mode.
Quote Reply