Duffy wrote:
Speaks for itself.

Looks like a size Medium at Walmart.
Quote Reply
Re: Piers Morgan and Tess Holliday "row" [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
There was an article the other day on HuffPo about how we have seen obesity all wrong over the years.
https://highline.huffingtonpost.com/...ut-obesity-is-wrong/

I personally think a lot of the article is crap but there were some valid points. The basic gist was, don't be mean when you tell someone they are obese, do it nicely and everyone who is obese is not necessarily unhealthy. Obviously there's more but the main theme was, people are mean.

I'm sick of the "body positive" movement. Sure, I want people to be comfortable but that doesn't mean I want to pay for their health issues because they are comfortable. I want people to live a healthy lifestyle. Yes, I know for the single mother of two who has two jobs, this is not always possible but the article points out the CEO of a company. There's no way she is not smart enough to know or have enough money to support a healthy lifestyle.

Maybe I'm way off base here, if so, please tell me how.

The only problem I have is the common perception that obesity is merely a matter of self-control. I don't disagree that there are elements of self-control, but I think it's more than that. There are reasons why people don't have self-control, and that may be more a physiological issue than a psychological or character issue.

In a way, the calories in, calories out model is a tautology. It says nothing about cause and effect. Do we gain weight because we eat more, or are we eating more because we're gaining weight. Not all calories are equal. They are processed differently for fuel. Arguably, if we're eating the wrong type of calories (most carbs), ones that are more likely to be stored as fat, we're not getting enough fuel to satisfy are organs' minimal needs. So our body tells us to consume more.

In a way, it's like breathing. We need to breathe. If we hold our breath, exercising self-control, we can only go so far. At some point, we will give in, or we will pass out. If someone can only hold his breath for 30 seconds, and can't last any longer, nobody says that the person lacked the self-control to go to 60 seconds, or even to the point of passing out. Of course, there's a greater role of self-control in eating. But that's only a matter of degree.

That said, I don't think obesity should be glorified, any more than cancer is glorified.

People still choose to eat too much and/or the wrong food.

Over the last year I lost almost 30 lbs.

I did it by changing my diet. I did it by choice. Before that I chose foods that made me gain weight. And guess what? I gained weight.

The amount of exercise I do has remained consistent.

I decided to eat less and eat different and I lost 30 lbs.

Amazing....

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Piers Morgan and Tess Holliday "row" [Goosedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Goosedog wrote:
Is Piers' schtick just to be an asshole?

I only read about him through headlines and that seems to be the common thread.

PM may or may not be a flaming dickhead, but if he says 20 things and only 2 of them are inflammatory, how likely are you to hear about the other 18? When's the last time you saw a headline "TV SHOW HOST SAYS SOMETHING POLITE AND UNOBTRUSIVE YET AGAIN"?
Quote Reply
Re: Piers Morgan and Tess Holliday "row" [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
There was an article the other day on HuffPo about how we have seen obesity all wrong over the years.
https://highline.huffingtonpost.com/...ut-obesity-is-wrong/

I personally think a lot of the article is crap but there were some valid points. The basic gist was, don't be mean when you tell someone they are obese, do it nicely and everyone who is obese is not necessarily unhealthy. Obviously there's more but the main theme was, people are mean.

I'm sick of the "body positive" movement. Sure, I want people to be comfortable but that doesn't mean I want to pay for their health issues because they are comfortable. I want people to live a healthy lifestyle. Yes, I know for the single mother of two who has two jobs, this is not always possible but the article points out the CEO of a company. There's no way she is not smart enough to know or have enough money to support a healthy lifestyle.

Maybe I'm way off base here, if so, please tell me how.

The only problem I have is the common perception that obesity is merely a matter of self-control. I don't disagree that there are elements of self-control, but I think it's more than that. There are reasons why people don't have self-control, and that may be more a physiological issue than a psychological or character issue.

In a way, the calories in, calories out model is a tautology. It says nothing about cause and effect. Do we gain weight because we eat more, or are we eating more because we're gaining weight. Not all calories are equal. They are processed differently for fuel. Arguably, if we're eating the wrong type of calories (most carbs), ones that are more likely to be stored as fat, we're not getting enough fuel to satisfy are organs' minimal needs. So our body tells us to consume more.

In a way, it's like breathing. We need to breathe. If we hold our breath, exercising self-control, we can only go so far. At some point, we will give in, or we will pass out. If someone can only hold his breath for 30 seconds, and can't last any longer, nobody says that the person lacked the self-control to go to 60 seconds, or even to the point of passing out. Of course, there's a greater role of self-control in eating. But that's only a matter of degree.

That said, I don't think obesity should be glorified, any more than cancer is glorified.

People still choose to eat too much and/or the wrong food.

Over the last year I lost almost 30 lbs.

I did it by changing my diet. I did it by choice. Before that I chose foods that made me gain weight. And guess what? I gained weight.

The amount of exercise I do has remained consistent.

I decided to eat less and eat different and I lost 30 lbs.

Amazing....

Well there you have it... Once again, the real answer for fat people to lose weight is they just need to be a cool as Duffy thinks he is.

QED
Quote Reply
Re: Piers Morgan and Tess Holliday "row" [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Well there you have it... Once again, the real answer for fat people to lose weight is they just need to be a cool as Duffy thinks he is.

The point is that even if you want to claim that it’s not a calories in/calories out equation and that “all calories are not the same” you are still choosing to put in your mouth what you put in your mouth.

Tess Holliday is obese because she eats too much and the wrong type of food.

She does this by choice and she is going to die sooner than she would if she wasn’t obese.

This isn’t something that should be encouraged.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply

Prev Next