Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Football Talk
Quote | Reply
I just returned from lunch with a group of co-workers and, living in Houston, the conversation centered around the Rose Bowl. Fine, I can nod at the correct times and laugh at the correct times...but a some point they begin discussing "the line", "point spreads", "over/under", etc.

I have no idea what any of this means. For the sake of my own education, is there anyone in Slowtwitchia that can interpret this language?
Quote Reply
Re: Football Talk [Matt Boutte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe "the line" and "point spread" are the same. It's how many points the favorite is expected to win by....kind of. So if USC is the favorite and there is a 3 point spread, and you thought USC would win by more than 3, then you could wager on USC. If you think Texas will either win or be within 2, then you could wager on Texas.

The over/under relates to how many total points will be scored by both teams. If the USC/Texas over/under is 60, and you think they'll score more than that, you would take the over. And vice versa.

The reason for my "kind of" in the first paragraph is because it's mostly set by oddsmakers in Vegas in order to gain the most betting dollars. The spread will change with time depending on how the betting dollars are coming in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Matt Boutte,

It seems as though the conversation is centered around the gambling side of the game, and not the game itself.

"The Line" and the "Point Spread" are terms that the odds makers use as sort of a prediction on how teams match up on a given week. The "point spread" is a general indicator of how far apart the scores will be at the end of the game. A suspected close game might have Team A favored to beat Team B by 1 1/2 points.

If you were, for instance, going to bet someone a case of Vernors on a game, you might look at the point spread and say, "Well my team is favored by 1 1/2, so I'll bet you this case of Vernors that your team won't beat the spread." So, in a sense, you are giving the other guy 1 1/2 points before the game even starts. If in the end your team wins by 2 or more points, he may have to buy you a case of Vernors.

Bernie

Quote | Reply
http://sportsgambling.about.com/library/blglossary.htm

I'm all for talking about football, but talking about gambling on football means it's time to order another drink.
Quote Reply
Re: Football Talk [IAMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, so what does it mean to "take the points"?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMO, to bet on the underdog (i.e., taking the points).

Just say, "I'm going w/ USC and the over" and collect your money on Thursday. =)

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Re: Football Talk [slowbern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have never understood how a team can be favored by X and 1/2 points? How do you score 1/2 point in football? What is the difference in being favored by 1 1/2 vs. 2 points? Since I never bet on football, I don't really care, just confused.
Quote Reply
Re: Football Talk [tri_bri2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am pretty sure this is right.....

The half point is to get rid of the possibility of a "push" on the bet. If USC is favored by 3 and wins by 3, it is a push and the bet is cancelled. No winner, no loser. If they use 1/2 points, there can be no push.
Quote Reply
Re: Football Talk [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Three people are going to win this game for USC...Reggie Bush, Matt Leinart, and Darnell Bing. Bing is going to intercept at least one pass, and sack Vince Young at least 2 times.
Last edited by: CoreyFarrell: Jan 4, 06 15:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everytime I have seen the hypothetical matchups that have been presented on sportscenter of this years USC team vs. some of the greatest National champs of all time it makes me wonder how much this is motivating Texas. I would not be surprised if there is an upset.
Quote Reply
Re: Football Talk [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Just say, "I'm going w/ USC and the over" and collect your money on Thursday. =)[/reply]

HA, TEXAS IS GOING TO WIN THIS GOING AWAY. We have had 2 nights of GREAT FOOTBALL and this one is not going to live up to the hype (on way or another) and Im betting Texas. Either way its over by half time (or at least I Hope so I cant take staying up past 1 o'clock 3 nights in a row).

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Football Talk [tri_bri2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 1/2 point is so there can be no tie when "giving points." There must be a winner.

Bernie

Re: Football Talk [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's looking that way.

I've been having the running argument w/ a coaching buddy that (IMO) Leinert is over-rated. He certainly looks it tonight.

Carroll should remind Bush that it's better to run vertically down the field, rather than horizontally (Hint: Texas's D is fast enough to string Bush out and not let him around the corner).

I'm impressed with Texas.

=======================
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, do I have the Midas touch or what?

I say Leinert looks over-rated and he goes 12/22 to start the 2nd half. I say Texas is fast enough to string Bush out of bounds, and Reggie goes for 26-yd TD up the right sideline.

Oh well, my original comment of "USC and the over" is looking decent ... despite the subpar first half.

How does the running back situation work at USC? Bush gets all the attention and highlights, and White gets all the meaty yards and the TD's?

White's stock has went up (IMO).

=======================
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well it may all come down to this 4th adn 5

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dont know what the over was..... BUT it looks like

TEXAS and the over........

TD Texas.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amazing ... and yet many draft *experts* and scouts will have reservations about Young's "throwing style".

Did it ever occur to them that some folks can just play the damn sport. I'm trying to recall the last college football player that was as impressive as Vince Young. He may be the slash type that Kordell Stewart never became. I'd like to see him get a (legit) shot at playing QB in the NFL.

=======================
Quote Reply
Re: Football Talk [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guess I was wrong. Bing didnt do anything exept commit fouls, then Leinart and Bush were too afraid to get hurt because they are 1st and 2nd round NFL draft picks. It was a really good game though, even though Vince Young just ran all around the SC defense. It's okay SC still has 2
Heisman winners and 2 National Championships.

p.s. Kevin Thomas #15 from my highschool (Rio Mesa) stopped two of Vince Youngs 2nd and 3rd down TD attempts in the last 30 seconds of the game.
Last edited by: CoreyFarrell: Jan 4, 06 21:43
Quote Reply