Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Would Someone Please Explain Airsoft and MilSim to Me?
Quote | Reply
Adults playing Army, using very realistic kit and simulated weapons. I don't get it.

Does anyone here engage in such things? If so, why? Not a flame, just a sincere attempt to understand.

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: Would Someone Please Explain Airsoft and MilSim to Me? [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't do airsoft. I do other stuff.

The answer is because its fun.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Would Someone Please Explain Airsoft and MilSim to Me? [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like hopped up paintball. Probably a lot of fun.

Otherwise if you want to play army you'd have to join one of those militia groups and hang out with crazy people :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crank wrote:
Adults playing Army, using very realistic kit and simulated weapons. I don't get it.

Does anyone here engage in such things? If so, why? Not a flame, just a sincere attempt to understand.

I don't know of a single former or retired trigger puller would does either Airsoft or MilSim, though there probably are some out there doing it. So it looks to me like it's mostly a way of "playing Army" like we did when we were kids. And I'm sure more than a few of these folks sincerely believe doing Airsoft or MilSim will prepare them for the real deal, if sh*t ever got real. Just like joining one of those militia groups does! ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Would Someone Please Explain Airsoft and MilSim to Me? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Crank wrote:

I don't know of a single former or retired trigger puller would does either Airsoft or MilSim, though there probably are some out there doing it. So it looks to me like it's mostly a way of "playing Army" like we did when we were kids. And I'm sure more than a few of these folks sincerely believe doing Airsoft or MilSim will prepare them for the real deal, if sh*t ever got real. Just like joining one of those militia groups does! ;-)

Mostly done by folks who could never hack it in the real military, if they had the balls to try.

Quote Reply
Re: Would Someone Please Explain Airsoft and MilSim to Me? [llewis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
llewis wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
Crank wrote:

Mostly done by folks who could never hack it in the real military, if they had the balls to try.

That food blister wouldn't be able to come close to effectively shooting, moving and communicating, nor of cycling his weapon if he somehow found himself in the sh*t. He'd be a liability to his unit and he'd quickly fall out. Not to mention that he'd probably be the first person hit by the bad guys, mostly because he's so wide and non-STRAC. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Would Someone Please Explain Airsoft and MilSim to Me? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not everyone can be as cool as a triathlete.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with BK here, I don't know any former military that do this, maybe the young studs who didn't get enough during their one enlistment (not knocking one-and-done's at all here). I suspect most retirees just don't care for it anymore, for me, I did enough of this stuff during my time I damn sure don't want to use my time and money now to pretend I'm still young and dumb.

I knew a few military kids whose parents let them play with airsoft.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Would Someone Please Explain Airsoft and MilSim to Me? [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Not everyone can be as cool as a triathlete.

You also can't buy cool by running to your nearest Army surplus store and buying up XXXL woodland cammo BDUs and advanced combat helmets and then an Airsoft rifle at the local Walmart. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't get it, either. Some fan boys really get into it and create IG pages completely dedicated to portraying US SOF personnel in their kit so that the airsofters can get the look right.

I only knew one guy who did MILSIM (we were in SOF together), but he did it before joining.

After nearly ten years in the army and four deployments, I have zero interest in it. Maybe going to the range so much ruined it for me...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crank wrote:

I can see why former military types don't do it. They have been there done that. Former MLB baseball players don't join softball leagues. Former formula one drivers don't go to the amusement park and ride the go carts.

But for regular folks, why can't it be fun? I did paintball once in college in the 80s. Being in the woods being hunted and hunting was a real thrill. My heart was racing. Very much fun.

Would someone please explain triathlon to me?? Or better yet, spending hours reading and composing statements about current politics which are dust in the wind 24 hours later?

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd prefer that over video games. At least they get outside and get some exercise.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Would Someone Please Explain Airsoft and MilSim to Me? [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:

Yeah, that's it. Always lead with your head, dude. Nice and slow, so the bad guy can draw a bead on your coconut. Nothing like cover and concealment around, eh? You deserve what you're gonna get in that case.

On a side note: nice head shot. Way to put it right in the brain housing group. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Would Someone Please Explain Airsoft and MilSim to Me? [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Crank wrote:

I can see why former military types don't do it. They have been there done that. Former MLB baseball players don't join softball leagues. Former formula one drivers don't go to the amusement park and ride the go carts.

But for regular folks, why can't it be fun? I did paintball once in college in the 80s. Being in the woods being hunted and hunting was a real thrill. My heart was racing. Very much fun.

Would someone please explain triathlon to me?? Or better yet, spending hours reading and composing statements about current politics which are dust in the wind 24 hours later?

Do guys in the military get to play these sorts of war games where they actually shoot one another?

If not I would think the actual percentage of people in the military who have actually seen much if any combat along these lines would be pretty small?
Quote Reply
Re: Would Someone Please Explain Airsoft and MilSim to Me? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
H- wrote:
Crank wrote:

Do guys in the military get to play these sorts of war games where they actually shoot one another?

If not I would think the actual percentage of people in the military who have actually seen much if any combat along these lines would be pretty small?

We used Miles gear on our weapons. Miles gear shoots a laser and is triggered by the air pressure from firing a blank. You wear sensors on your body and helmet. Nothing would piss us of more than watching the Op-For cover up the sensors. LOL.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_integrated_laser_engagement_system
Last edited by: orphious: Sep 20, 18 9:24
Quote Reply
Re: Would Someone Please Explain Airsoft and MilSim to Me? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
H- wrote:
Crank wrote:

There are varying degrees of military training, depending on your service branch as well as career field (MOS, NEC, designator, etc.), that would deliver far more realistic training than what these Airsoft/MilSim folks are seeing. These include live-fire exercises (for example, on occasion, we used to crawl on our backs under barb wire, all while crew-served automatic weapons (Ma Deuce and M60s) were cooking off rounds inches over our heads. Then there were other simulations that used MILES ("Multiple Integrated Laser Engagement System") gear, which was of a less-intensive aspect when it came to preparing for war. Immediate action drills were still another way to get ready for when it was time to grab your war bag and go.

From what I remember, artillery folks had TOT or "time on target" stuff they would work through, along with the troops on the ground. Same for live-fire tank exercises (also with infantry and other ground troops moving around them). Air power was the same thing. You can't move out in the field in a combat-effective manner, in the real thing, unless you're exposed to it in training. This may even include walking between a stream of rounds fired from a ground support aircraft during a strafing run (that was actually in our field training manual, by the way).

As to how many military folks are actually exposed to the real-deal combat thing, that all depends on the nature of the conflict and the size of it. Folks like Mr. Brandon and Mr. Hawley, I'm guessing, saw quite a bit of it, as have many Marine Corps (and their Navy Hospital Corps sailors) and Army troops and Air Force PJs (Pararescue) and CJs (combat air controllers) and Navy SEALs and Special Boat and SEAL delivery vehicle troops, especially if they're part of one of the combat arms branches (infantry/SOF/specwar/special operations, armor, artillery... leaving aside air, because it's so diverse).

The traditional ratio of infantry-type troop to support troops was 6 support troops to every infantry troop, meaning it took six non-infantry soldiers (supply, admin, intelligence, etc.) to support the in-field efforts of one infantryman. The nature of today's modern battlefield (which often isn't even on what we think of as a battlefield), however, where the "rear" can become the "front" at any time, may mean that far more or far less troops are seeing at least low-intensity combat than ever before. But I'll leave it up to the current Soldiers, Marines and others to fill in the gaps on this one.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
H- wrote:
Crank wrote:

The aforementioned MILES gear is one, which uses lasers and sensors. Lots of close quarter training involves non-lethal training rounds like this:https://simunition.com/en/

Quote | Reply
Yep, as mentioned MILES, simrounds, and blanks (god i hated cleaning weapons after firing blank rounds). But we also used good old fashioned paint ball.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Would Someone Please Explain Airsoft and MilSim to Me? [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just another tool in the toolbox. It has its place if used correctly as training. Weapons manipulations, movements, etc.

Cheap to clean-up (vs say Simunition) and much cheaper to outfit. Not as much issues regarding backstops.

As to ex-mil playing...I'm sure there are more, but this popped up in my feed a couple of days ago. Not a fanboy, but he has gone over the pro vs con's on his webpage before.

Travis Haley playing airsoft with his kid(s) recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEgfFKeQxi8

If you don't know who Travis Haley is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYCMIJf4zSM
Quote Reply
Re: Would Someone Please Explain Airsoft and MilSim to Me? [Cafe Lactate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This doesn't really bother me at all.

What DOES bother me is the magazine selection at somewhere like a Tractor Supply or any farm supply warehouse.

We've got goats and chickens and frequent such stores. When I was growing up the magazines were about deer hunting, fishing, boats, maybe some sports.

Now, when I go through the checkout line I see magazines like "tactical urban combat methods" and stuff like that. Why on God's green Earth do we need magazines showing military style tactics to some redneck civilians in a farm supply store.

It rubs me as both very irresponsible and super childish.

If you want to have some airsoft and paintball magazine tactics, sure. But we're talking real weapons and real people here.

I find that kind of sick.
Quote Reply
Re: Would Someone Please Explain Airsoft and MilSim to Me? [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
The aforementioned MILES gear is one, which uses lasers and sensors. Lots of close quarter training involves non-lethal training rounds like this:https://simunition.com/en/

We've use simunition for training in LE and I'm not a fan. It doesn't provide enough pressure to cycle your weapon properly so you're constantly having to clear it. MILES sounds much more interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: Would Someone Please Explain Airsoft and MilSim to Me? [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Durhamskier wrote:
spot wrote:
The aforementioned MILES gear is one, which uses lasers and sensors. Lots of close quarter training involves non-lethal training rounds like this:
https://simunition.com/en/

We've use simunition for training in LE and I'm not a fan. It doesn't provide enough pressure to cycle your weapon properly so you're constantly having to clear it. MILES sounds much more interesting.

You use actual blanks in MILES gear training. There's a scene in that STUPID Eastwood movie "Heartbreak Ridge" where his Recon Marines light up an opposing unit. They're all wearing (older style, because this was in '86 or '87, IIRC) MILES gear. Here it is:

(Note: they filmed most of this out in Camp Pendleton (not Lejeune), up in my unit's garrison and training area. Fun times watching all that. ;-)

Quote Reply