Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best way to spend $2k on a bike?
Quote | Reply
I'm looking for a tri bike for OLY and HIM, probably used. Budget is $2k excluding wheels, power meter, and fit. What's the best/fastest setup? P2 or IA with upgraded cockpit? Trek speed concept? Also curious about best setups for hydration / storage. Any input appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to spend $2k on a bike? [bigmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bigmatt wrote:
I'm looking for a tri bike for OLY and HIM, probably used. Budget is $2k excluding wheels, power meter, and fit. What's the best/fastest setup? P2 or IA with upgraded cockpit? Trek speed concept? Also curious about best setups for hydration / storage. Any input appreciated.

One of the hydration options to quickly blow your budget:

https://drizly.com/...6EAYYASABEgLCJ_D_BwE
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assuming you can find good used current model examples of those three for $2K, I rank them as:
  1. Felt IA
  2. Trek Speed Concept
  3. Cervelo P2

IA and SC are already fast without an upgraded cockpit. P2 needs a cockpit upgrade just to be competitive, but P2 still has bad cable routing and exposed rear brake. All would benefit from front brake upgrade to something aero.

SC & IA have good draft box storage. P2 has bento box screw holes, and IA has decent top tube storage. There are lots of good behind the seat and between the arms hydration options. I had the XLAB Torpedo on my IA and loved it. I am now using the Torpedo bottle and cage directly mounted to my upgraded cockpit.
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to spend $2k on a bike? [sebo2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL! I like where your head's at. Have to say though, I've had the 25, and it's definitely not worth that price.
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to spend $2k on a bike? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
IA and SC are already fast without an upgraded cockpit.

Does this apply to the double-digit IA as well?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just spent less than half that on a P3-SL that I built up. I bought the frame and most of the parts off of Ebay, for a total of about $700. I already had wheels and a PM. So, very similar to what your asking. I also had a low-end cockpit (PD Ozero basebar / T2+). So, if you are going to get something nicer, that will use more of your budget.

Complete bikes are probably an easier way to get "more for your $$". But, its a bit of a crap shoot, and depends on how patient you are able to be.

The key if you go that way is to have a good idea of your fit coordinates ahead of time. The easy way to do that is to go get a good fit FIRST. Then start shopping bikes and frames on Ebay that are in your "fit window" (stack/reach +/- 1-2cm). The harder way is to try and figure out your frame sizes without a fit, and then get the fit done afterwards. I did it that way. It worked out pretty well for me...but, its a higher risk approach if you don't get the fit coordinates close and end up with a frame that's the wrong size.

The consensus that I came to was that any 2002+ Cervelo with a quality aero cockpit, aero brakes, and a decent job in cable routing (or eTap/Di2) will be very fast....assuming you have a good fit, etc. Other TT frames depends more on model year. Long/low classic Cervelo fits me well, so I stayed within those parameters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saw some new P2s on ebay for $2k, 51 and 54cm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bigmatt wrote:
Does this apply to the double-digit IA as well?
Yes, the IAxx aluminum cockpit is very fast and tests well against the Tririg Alpha X. (Tririg is faster, but the Felt cockpit is faster than many others.) And, if you upgrade the front brakes on the IAxx to an aero brake, it nearly matches the integrated brakes of the single digit bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to spend $2k on a bike? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
The key if you go that way is to have a good idea of your fit coordinates ahead of time. The easy way to do that is to go get a good fit FIRST. Then start shopping bikes and frames on Ebay that are in your "fit window" (stack/reach +/- 1-2cm).

I disagree. If you get adjustable bars you can fit on anything. And if you want to be fast, then your fit is a evolving or constantly moving target. Frame size is a ballpark thing.
Best to err on the long and low side.
Last edited by: rruff: Sep 19, 18 13:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bigmatt wrote:

Have you heard of A2 bikes?
https://a2bikes.com/

Their idea is for triathletes trying to ball on a budget. Direct to consumers the base model is priced at $1,899

I found them on Instagram about a year ago and have been following his progress ever since.
I have no affiliation with them, I met the CEO AJ Alley at a race expo. I asked him why he started this endeavor 2/3 years ago. His response was he wanted a carbon bike that didn't break the bank.

Grow with data: Dynamic Sports Data | eBay store
Quote Reply