Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me with a 2019 goal race
Quote | Reply
Once again I call on the wisdom of the Slowtwitch universe to help me figure out my life.

I need a 2019 goal race or something race-like as my 2019 goal.
In 2018 I did 2 Olympic distances, 1 HIM, and SOS. Plus a week-long bike trip of 500 miles and the trans-Tahoe relay swim. Whew, it was a good & exhausting summer.

Criteria for 2019 race:
  • Must be fun/different/interesting
  • Not Ironman branded
  • May involve swimming, or biking, or running, or a combination of any 2 or 3 of those disciplines, or possibly something else (but not one of those silly Spartan things)

Non-options: Iron-distance triathlon (done it), Lotoja, swimming 10K straight, or anything else that I consider not fun.

What ya got?
Quote Reply
Re: Help me with a 2019 goal race [140.6chick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
140.6chick wrote:
Once again I call on the wisdom of the Slowtwitch universe to help me figure out my life.

I need a 2019 goal race or something race-like as my 2019 goal.
In 2018 I did 2 Olympic distances, 1 HIM, and SOS. Plus a week-long bike trip of 500 miles and the trans-Tahoe relay swim. Whew, it was a good & exhausting summer.

Criteria for 2019 race:
  • Must be fun/different/interesting
  • Not Ironman branded
  • May involve swimming, or biking, or running, or a combination of any 2 or 3 of those disciplines, or possibly something else (but not one of those silly Spartan things)

Non-options: Iron-distance triathlon (done it), Lotoja, swimming 10K straight, or anything else that I consider not fun.

What ya got?

It seems like Savageman ticks all the boxes. I was just there this past weekend (the race was cancelled). The area is beautiful, the course is rugged and challenging. The WEsternport Wall/Brick is unique and bad-ass.

They also have a multiple distances, so you can race on Saturday (I was signed up for a 20/20 double sprint) and one of the "big" ones on Sunday (60 or 80).

I'm really sorry it cancelled but this event really does seem special (based on the scenery that I saw). I will warn you, that a 20/20 + the 60 or 80 is equal in challenge to a 140.6. After seeing the course/courses first hand, I firmly believe this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SwimRun? Some of them have solo options (San Juan comes to mind, i think another one in Jersey if that's more your hood)

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
American TTT. New venue for 2019, 2 distance options, and early enough in the season to use for racing or as a training camp. Great vibe, well-run and good people attend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what about a gravel bike race? Obviously Dirty Kanza sets the bar but there are tons of gravel bike races popping up all the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you done Alcatraz swim, Dipsea (or 2 or 4), Maui Channel?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Barrelman 70.3 in Niagara Falls?

- Great location with great scenery (running by the falls, twice),
- Well done point to point in a scenic tourist area
- Smooth swim that is great for spectating
- Flat, Fast Bike Course (my PR by far)
- Last year was the largest non IM 70.3 event
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
140.6chick wrote:
What ya got?

Support a local race series. Depending on where you live there are probably a few local race production organizations. Race all of their races, maybe even as a "series". Volunteer as some of them also. Help build grassroots racing that isn't feeding "the machine"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
- Qualify for ITU Worlds
- Do 'Escape From the Rock' (same swim as Alcatraz Tri, but like 1/4 the price)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So often trail running will take you to some stunningly beautiful places that you would be unlikely to experience otherwise. The races tend to have a friendly, welcoming and laid-back vibe.

Plenty of events to choose from, ranging from short races through to the Tahoe 200 Miler.
Last edited by: satanellus: Sep 18, 18 18:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lobsterman? Great post-race party.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Swim Run races look pretty epic. Check out the ones here http://www.swimrunusa.com/. They look scenic and challenging.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me with a 2019 goal race [Jason AZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all! Some great ideas in here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1)Sea to Summit in Maine and New Hampshire - a point to point tri with non-standard distances (1.5mi S, 93ish mi B, 6-7ish mi "run") that has a nice grass roots feel with the "run" taking you to the summit of Mt. Washington. <100 participants the year I did it (2017). Price was reasonable and area was gorgeous. Doing this race sparked an interest in summiting some of the 14er's in Colorado.

So the 2nd recommendation is climbing some 14ers in Colorado. And you will appreciate the fitness bump you get coming off of climbing a series of those over 4-5 days. Vigorous hikes at altitude taking 4-8 hours depending on how much elevation gain you're going for, hiking distance, and how fast you want to go. Climbing Mt. Elbert, I ascended at an ongoing effort that felt equal to pacing the bike for an IM distance event (with WAY better views!).

3)The gravel tri that Dan wrote about a couple of weeks ago looks appealing to me. Haven't done it, so can't provide firsthand commentary.

4)There are some epic organized "rides" in the NC/GA/TN mountains ("Blood, Sweat and Gears", Bridge to Bridge, Six Gap Century, Cherohala Challenge) that are fairly challenging (10k+ of climbing, 100/100+ miles long). Most folks treat these like races (I'm told because they have a clock), but you don't have to. I did BtoB in '03, BSG in '07 and CC in '16 and would gladly do each one again, but also want to discover new races/venues.

5)Create your own Epic Camp with some friends or do one of Starky's training camps.

Tad

It took awhile, but I finally discovered that its not the destination that's important, but rather the journey.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe a 200miler trail ultra run.. or maybe all three (The Tripple Crown).

http://www.bigfoot200.com
http://www.tahoe200.com
http://www.moab200.com

Just an idea...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Escarpment Trail Run.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me with a 2019 goal race [Jon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Er, American Zofingen long course. What else?????

Amazed nobody else has suggested it yet. Best (and hardest) race ever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alligator Lighthouse Swim in Islamorada Florida. 8 Mile Swim
Quote Reply