Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: First ever solo-female super hero??? [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
To refute the bolded, I give you the heroes from the Batman series - (Batman, the various Robins and Nightwing, Batgirl,) Green Arrow. IronMan, and some others (eta - all of the Watchmen - great series).

I don't really think of Blade or Kate's Beckinsale's character as really "superheros" either. They're more "badass fighters out for vengeance" types. Superheroes I tend to think of as the ones who swoop in to save innocent victims at the last second, not really the "lets go on a killing spree to eliminate the bad guys" types. Anti-heroes.

au contraire mon ami

Dammit, totally forgot about Dr Manhattan. I stand corrected and hereby hand in my nerd card. (It’s a Pokémon)

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: First ever solo-female super hero??? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really question why there is such an emphasis on female superheroes and the push to have more women leads in superhero movies. It strikes me, ever the cynic, as a push by the SJW types and less about little girls needing movie heroes. First, there HAVE been female superhero leads as illustrated in this thread. Second, there's a reason most superheroes are men: the comics were written by guys, targeting an audience of boys and young men...they're attracted to the genre, period end of story. There's also a reason most barbies and dolls are girls/women, dollhouses and play kitchens and tea sets are bought for little girls--they love them! Give my little nephew a tea set and he'll turn it into a battle between tea cups. My younger cousins growing up, my nieces and nephew, they were/are all attracted to the stereotypical products aimed to them, because SPOILER ALERT boys love superheroes and toy cars and trucks and building things, girls love dolls and playing dress up and house. Guess what: Frozen was aimed at little girls and they fucking LOVED it, there was music and princesses looking pretty and doing cool things to ward off evil men...I don't see a similar push for cartoon musicals aimed at little boys.

People care more about the NEED for diversity in superheroes and less about the actual DESIRE to have that need met. They really should be asking why boys and girls naturally like what they do. Hint: women have babies and are biologically more nurturing, men feel a strong desire to meet their families housing and monetary needs and protect their family. Without any prodding or coaxing boys will gravitate to certain things, girls to others...and that's FINE, in fact it's human nature!

Sorry for the rant, been up all night with my new baby boy, who I'm sure will love superheroes and causing mayhem because that's what most boys do...
Last edited by: Brownie28: Sep 19, 18 3:06
Quote Reply
Re: First ever solo-female super hero??? [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
SPOILER ALERT boys love superheroes and toy cars and trucks and building things, girls love dolls and playing dress up and house.

congrats on the new baby!

the thing is, girls don't love dolls and playing dress up exclusively.

I hated them, especially Barbie. Instead I wanted to swing on ropes, climb trees, beat my brother across the pond. Girls like us love a kickass heroine.
Quote Reply
Re: First ever solo-female super hero??? [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
Brownie28 wrote:
SPOILER ALERT boys love superheroes and toy cars and trucks and building things, girls love dolls and playing dress up and house.

I hated them, especially Barbie. Instead I wanted to swing on ropes, climb trees, beat my brother across the pond. Girls like us love a kickass heroine.
Thanks! And of course, I'm not saying it's an either/or situation, there's no one-size-fits-all for this. But generally speaking little girls are attracted to different things than boys, there's a need to fill in the gaps - and to me, a movie like Frozen does fit that mold, it's a musical about princesses but they're badass princesses who fight and battle with evil men. That's great, 100% agree we need stuff like that. Wonder Woman was awesome, and again it's a badass woman and it's great for little girls to see that in movies. But again, most little boys love comic book movies, most little girls love dolls...there's nothing wrong with that, but there's a very good reason there's a big imbalance in the number of male superheroes, just like there's a big imbalance in the number of female dolls. Doesn't mean it's exclusive, only that the majority are geared to one sex.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
Brownie28 wrote:

Also, serious question here: as a little girl would you rather have watched Frozen, with a badass heroine who was also pretty and sang songs, or watched Captain Marvel, a fairly dark action movie? I know what my nieces would rather watch (and my sisters growing up), and what my nephew and I would rather see.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Captain Marvel all the way. And I like dresses and makeup. Go figure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
...Girls like us love a kickass heroine.

Here ya go: :-)

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Re: First ever solo-female super hero??? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Dammit, totally forgot about Dr Manhattan. I stand corrected and hereby hand in my nerd card. (It’s a Pokémon)

No worries. It's totally easy to overlook a 40-ft tall, glowing blue dude who can walk on the sun. ;-)

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Re: First ever solo-female super hero??? [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:
kiki wrote:
...Girls like us love a kickass heroine.

Here ya go: :-)

Hit Girl was one of the best action characters (hero?) put to the big screen in the last decade. Loved that movie, but especially her.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
Wonder Woman was awesome, and again it's a badass woman and it's great for little girls to see that in movies.

I enjoyed the Wonder Woman movie and it's certainly the best of the DC movies to date (apart from the Dark Knight films). Have to say though that a movie featuring one of the most attractive women on the planet kicking ass in a skimpy outfit always struck me as being at least much a male fantasy as it is a blow for feminism.
Quote Reply
Re: First ever solo-female super hero??? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like a lot of folks out there are making fun of Brie Larson's "woman of many face" (singular) non-acting in this one, where she only wears one face, that of dead-eyed contempt.

Ethan Van Sciver (who illustrates superhero comic book covers, mostly for DC but also for Marvel) is the go-to guy, for me, when it comes to gathering early intel about whether I should spend my hard-earned bucks at the local cineplex for one of the Marvel/DC movies. He's live-reacted to the Captain Marvel trailer, and when he saw Larson's scowly face, he remarked; "I feel like I owe her child support." ;-)

(During my youth, I was a hardcore comic book kid and always had my 25 cents (yes, that's what they cost back when I first started reading them ;-) lined up to purchase this-or-that superhero comic. I have to admit that I was never a big Captain Marvel reader (and CM is actually supposed to be the most powerful of all the Marvel superheroes, if memory serves), for some reason. Just never got into him/her/it. But I'll probably go see the movie, because it definitely won't be the worst of the Marvel extravaganzas, and that's reason enough for me.)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply

Prev Next