Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kona Camp Day 5 & 6
Quote | Reply
Was feeling pretty good yesterday (after the sick scare... i guess it is allergies), so Tim and I started the day with a 10k down and back on Walua. Determined that it is a 600 foot elevation loss in the 3 mile out and of course (ow!) a 600 foot gain on the return. This route has plumeria all along it and the air is just filled with it's perfume. Devoured breakfast and took it easy in the morning with a little bit of dryland before saddling up around 1230. I had planned on getting out earlier but held off and waited for Tim who was only going one way (staying at his Uncle's in Hawi). All the way up to Kawaihae we had a nice little tail wind and were just cruising along comfortably.

Road to Hawi...

On the climb to Hawi I kept waiting for the winds to start bearing down on me... but they never came. Once in Hawi we parted ways and I headed over to grab some ice cream.

Done with the Peanut Butter Fudge IC I mounted up and started pushing the pace all the way back home... it was time to race the sunset.

Made it back to town with a little bit of daylight to spare... all told 115 miles... I passed the 112 mark at 5.08 on the clock... now I know how this can be a fast course.

Data for the day.... 308 TSS 256 NP best... 30=313, 20=321, 10=340

Needless to say after a day like that... I needed some downtime. :)

Woke up at 9 and feeling the caloric deficit that i placed myself in yesterday... promptly ate everything i could find in the kitchen. After messing around and soaking up the sun and the gorgeous day I headed out for an easy 30 mile ride up the Queen K and into the energy lab.

Looking back from the NELH turnarond at Hualalai...

I then headed back up to the QK and headed north. Cresting the ridge just past the airport Maui came into clear view.

After getting a pickup from J-$$ (on his way back from work) we headed up to the highest road on the west side of Hawai'i... Kaloko... 16 miles long and 6000+ feet in elevation change. I recall a forum a while back that stated that there were no HC climbs in the US... believe me... I think this would qualify as one.

View from the top.... that's the bay and the pier in the center of the pic... it felt like we were looking down on the world from a jet.

Back down to town for a sweet swim at the pool and some shopping... checked in at the church too ;)

Headed home for a great sunset and "oh yeah baby".... Coffee Farmer's RIBS!!!!!!!!

More Tomorrow!!!

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Camp Day 5 & 6 [aus_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool pictures, thanks for sharing. As I write this at 7:20am it's dark and -1.5degC with snow on the ground. Seems like a completely different world.

------------------------------------------------------------
Searching for the bliss of ultimate exertion.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Camp Day 5 & 6 [callidus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wicked cold here too. I'm about to go drive through ice and snow to get to the pool... Hawaii, purrrr.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice camera work!

"God does not play dice with the universe." - Albert Einstein
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Camp Day 5 & 6 [callidus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah but still not as impressive as your MTB ride shots... I've got that bookmarked. :)

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's been fun reading about your Kona Camp. The pics are great, I love the ice cream shot. Congratus on a great ride.
Quote Reply