Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aeolus XXX 6 for Kona -- Thoughts/experience?
Quote | Reply
Hello ST! Quick question:

I struggle to control an Aeolus 9 on the front in the gusty trades (live in HI). Have tried it on the Queen K a few times and the crosswinds turn the bars and blow me all over the road, once all the way across to the guardrail on the other side (and then I call my husband to come get me). I switched to a shallow wheel on the front, left the Aeolus 9 on the back, and that works fine for me.

Thinking of getting a pair of Aeolus XXX 6 for Kona and going forward. Anyone tried them? I know they were developed with crosswinds in mind, they're 30 mm less deep than my 9s, but I'm still worried about controlling the front. The XXX 4 clincher is unavailable thus not an option in time. I'm about 6' tall and ~130 lbs, and basically look like one of those wind dancers at car dealerships in the wind.

Thanks in advance for any input.

The bike with the scary wheel on, attached.
Last edited by: runlikeamother: Sep 12, 18 17:03
Quote Reply
Re: Aeolus XXX 6 for Kona -- Thoughts/experience? [runlikeamother] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the 9’s & the TLR 5’s. Like you, I think the 9’s can be a nasty beast. I have no problem whatsoever with the 5’s so I can’t imagine the 6’s would be significantly different.
Quote Reply
Re: Aeolus XXX 6 for Kona -- Thoughts/experience? [runlikeamother] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My xxx6 will be here Friday. I will probably race with them Sunday. I also have the Aeolus 5 pro. Those are great so far. More stable than regular wheels.

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: Aeolus XXX 6 for Kona -- Thoughts/experience? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for this, searched first but missed it. Glad I'm not the only one.
Quote Reply
Re: Aeolus XXX 6 for Kona -- Thoughts/experience? [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perfect -- that's what I needed to hear! I am thinking the same re: the 10mm difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Aeolus XXX 6 on a Speed Concept. I don't have a lot of time on them and have not been out on them in really windy conditions, but so far they have felt very stable. I previously had Enve 7.8's on a 2011 9 Series SC and these have been noticeably more stable - although that's to be expected since they're shallower. Breaking seems about the same as the Enve's as well. 6'0", 170 lbs though, so don't get blown around as much as you would.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I definitely recommend going with the 6 up front if it will make you more comfortable and stay aero while racing which in turn will make you faster. I’ve never raced Kona but I went from a Zipp 808 (81mm) in the front to a Flo 60 (~60mm) and love it! I’m much more stable and comfortable on the bike especially on fast decent.

Have you thought about only replacing the front wheel and not the entire set.....although a brand new set is always nice.
Quote Reply