Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Two Big Names at Swim/Run San Juan next weekend
Quote | Reply
Well....Simon Whitfeld is rumored to be on the start line....and....the athlete who shall not be named is toe the line too. https://twitter.com/.../1039942872064131072

I think my buddy Konrad and I will be too awed by the incredible surroundings, the water, the forests, and the views atop Mt Constitution and Mt Pickett to be distracted by a guy with 2 Medals or a guy who used to have 7 Tours. I also think we'll be too wrecked by the elevation to have any energy to give 'em one way or the other.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Two Big Names at Swim/Run San Juan next weekend [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mmmm... popcorn

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Two Big Names at Swim/Run San Juan next weekend [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow I just saw the announcement on facebook! hope they do the solo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's pretty cool, would be great if some of the great teams that are dominating now were also there, just for perspective. There has to be a learning curve for this kind of racing, even for such big engines, although they do have a lot of mileage on them... (-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Well....Simon Whitfeld is rumored to be on the start line....and....the athlete who shall not be named is toe the line too. https://twitter.com/.../1039942872064131072

I had heard about this some time ago. Was waiting to see it go public first. Nice to see Simon Whitfield and Lance Armstrong teaming up here. It will be a good shot in the arm for the whole swim/run scene.

I was with Simon at an event back in July, and he admitted he's not been doing a great deal of swim/bike/run training recently - enough to finish up the draft-legal sprint race at the Toronto Triathlon mid pack! Soccer and SUP and his two young daughters are his focus these days.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Sep 13, 18 10:46
Quote Reply
Re: Two Big Names at Swim/Run San Juan next weekend [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what the guys are telling me, neither had done much running and even less swimming lately. LA mostly mountain biking and Simon with his daily paddling and weekly soccer matches.

Both are up for the odyssey and sharing a day of suffering on the mountain trails and lakes with one another. Certainly going into it with a great mindset.

We'll have the winning men's team from Casco Bay out there, John Stevens and Matt Hurley, but other than Guy Crawford and Kate Bevilaqua no other pro triathletes taking the leap.

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun
Quote Reply
Re: Two Big Names at Swim/Run San Juan next weekend [VALHALLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to miss the show, especially as it's just a quick ferry ride away for me. I wish it was a few weeks earlier so as not to conflict with cyclocross.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Two Big Names at Swim/Run San Juan next weekend [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
definitely worth missing a 'cross race for, since those take place 2x-5x every weekend up in the PNW. the swimrun circus only comes to town a few times a year!

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun
Quote Reply
Re: Two Big Names at Swim/Run San Juan next weekend [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

I had heard about this some time ago. Was waiting to see it go public first. Nice to see Simon Whitfield and Lance Armstrong teaming up here. It will be a good shot in the arm for the whole swim/run scene.

I was with Simon at an event back in July, and he admitted he's not been doing a great deal of swim/bike/run training recently - enough to finish up the draft-legal sprint race at the Toronto Triathlon mid pack! Soccer and SUP and his two young daughters are his focus these days.

They are just like us!....Canada and dope boy already have their pre race excuses lined up by their adoring fans.......
Quote Reply
Re: Two Big Names at Swim/Run San Juan next weekend [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

"They are just like us!....Canada and dope boy already have their pre race excuses lined up by their adoring fans....."

Who's making excuses? I've heard It's all for fun!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Two Big Names at Swim/Run San Juan next weekend [VALHALLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
VALHALLA wrote:
definitely worth missing a 'cross race for, since those take place 2x-5x every weekend up in the PNW. the swimrun circus only comes to town a few times a year!

Yes, but I want to do ALL of them!!!

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not familiar with the type of racing. what does a "team" mean in this race exactly? One does the swim and the other the run?
Quote Reply
Re: Two Big Names at Swim/Run San Juan next weekend [Runguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They both do the whole thing, tied together by a rope.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Two Big Names at Swim/Run San Juan next weekend [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

WTF !? well, good luck with that!
Quote Reply
Re: Two Big Names at Swim/Run San Juan next weekend [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

And paddles.....;-) The next Big Thing....
Quote Reply
Re: Two Big Names at Swim/Run San Juan next weekend [Runguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, hold on..... the two person teams need not be tethered on the run but teammates MUST stay within 10 yards of each other at all times. On the swims it helps especially if there's a disparity in ability the tether keeps teams from being DQed. There are a couple of swims that are SHORT - ~50m and Konrad and I will not be hooking up for those swims but K's a faster swimmer than I so on the two longer swims ~900m I'll hook the carabiner to his thin belt, swim on his feet (shoes!) and if/when he gets a tug he'll know to light up on the pace a bit so I can stay with him.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
By using the tether you'll likely NOT have to tap his feet (except to occasionally signal you're ok back there) or tell him to slow down. The tether serves as "Popeye's spinach" for the slower swimmer and evens out the two. Your teammate can swim as hard as they want, they won't be able to drop you. Biggest responsibility you'll have is to keep breathing (!!!) and to make sure your arms don't get tangled in the tether (why it's important to have it sized properly for your team).
Quote Reply