Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Nations Escape Tri Logistics
Quote | Reply
Anyone race this last year and have tips for race morning logistics / parking?

This is my first time at this race and to the DC area in general. The athlete guide makes it seem like parking will be a bit of a hassle Sunday morning.

I was thinking to just park in one of the K Street lots and use the shuttle service like they recommend. Is this going to be my best option or should I do something else? I’m staying at Hyatt Place (400 E Street SW).

Also, am I going to be able to make trips back and forth to the car to warmup on the trainer (separate bike) and put my transition bag away, or will I kind of be stuck at transition once in?

Any tips welcome for tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Re: Nations Escape Tri Logistics [CVH1296] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi there! The shuttles will likely be your best bet. Parking is a hassle, i think if you want to park anywhere near transition you need to be there VERY early, and those parking lots along the run course are blocked off until the race is over (which may or may not be okay with you). I park in a parking garage not too far from where you are staying, but have the perk of being able to rack my bike race morning so i can just ride over from the garage (about 1.5miles).
so i guess your three options would be: a) drive over very early and park near-ish to transition; b) go with your tentative plan of using the shuttle or c) find a parking garage and walk 1-2 miles to transition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done this race almost every year (not this year though). The K street option and shuttle is fine. But if you're relatively comfortable navigating cities, Constitution Av. along the mall, past 15th St. is a good place to park. Either Constitution itself, or you have several side streets to the right - 18th St., 19th St., Virginia Av. If you do that, make sure you locate the specific area on the map and don't miss parking - if you miss those streets, it will be extremely hard to turn around (one way street and Independence is closed). From there it's a 10-15 minute walk to transition. Make sure you pause and check out the Lincoln memorial at that time of the morning.

In terms of the other question (going back to car, etc.), I would discard it. The space is so big and so convoluted that it will be very hard to go back to a car once you're there. I would just take all my stuff and focus on setting up. Good luck and enjoy the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Nations Escape Tri Logistics [kristenm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the response.

How early do you think? Would 4 am be safe?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would think so! I don't get there that early so can't tell you when exactly the parking lots are filled up, but I'm guessing the people who want to park there are arriving around 5am (and probably those lots are full by 5:30, but i'm just making an educated guess). Confirm with the race guide at what time they close the roads too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well they cancelled the race, so I doubt parking will be an issue anymore. Seems kind of preemptive to me. I'm in Williamsburg right now for the Patriots Tri Weekend and so far the sprint is still going on tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Re: Nations Escape Tri Logistics [HeartRN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of my pro's is there and she tells me there is a foot of water on the some of the roads along the course. How many times has it even been a triathlete the past 5 years? 2 times?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Nations Escape Tri Logistics [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, that's what I've heard too. So maybe it's not exactly preemptive. Didn't even know it had already started storming there.

But yes, I was actually just having that discussion with another triathlete. I can't remember the last time they actually held the swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No need to worry about logistics anymore.... I was pretty surprised to hear it was canceled but maybe the parts of the course I was on weren’t as bad as others. Or maybe more rain all morning tomorrow is the issue. Either way...kinda sucks

Me: https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...ever-comes-next.html

Latest: Colorectal Cancer is in the News Again. Don't Blame Red Meat
https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...news-again-dont.html
Last edited by: Birdmantris: Sep 8, 18 16:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HeartRN wrote:
Well they cancelled the race, so I doubt parking will be an issue anymore. Seems kind of preemptive to me. I'm in Williamsburg right now for the Patriots Tri Weekend and so far the sprint is still going on tomorrow.

You just saved me big time. I never received an email from them about the cancellation. I got the Slowtwitch reply email then checked the race’s Facebook page.

I don’t check Facebook often so I’d have woken up at 4 and went right over to find out at the race tomorrow morning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As someone that sat at Nationals Park waiting for a baseball game last night that never happened because of all of the rain I can only imagine that the rain today has compounded the issues. Last night wasn't raining anywhere else but DC at times--having just gone for a ride in that area I can say they didn't need ANY rain never mind this much!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good thing you check Slowtwitch! Glad to help
Quote Reply