Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Something is wrong with my Kickr (help greatly appreciated)
Quote | Reply
Something has gone totally haywire with my Kickr. I've had it for about a year (got it last Sept) and it's definitely seen some miles in that time. Up until now it has worked flawlessly.

Yesterday I was doing an easy ride (TrainerRoad), and at about the 45 minute mark, the kickr totally cut out. The TR app could still see the device, but the resistance just went to zero, my P1 pedals were recording about 50 watts. I paused the workout, got off, calibrated the pedals, tried again, still nothing. So I tried to do a spindown, and it wouldn't register any speed for the kickr. It seemed that the app was just sitting there, waiting to register a speed for the calibration to begin. While I was pedaling, the speed jumped from zero to 20+ and back a few times. I tried this again and again. Finally I told TR to forget the device, then I paired it again and was able to finish the last 15 minutes of my ride (after about 30 minutes of standing there swearing).

I figured that was the end of it, but then pretty much the same thing happened today. This time it was the 48 minute mark of the ride (different TR ride). Today I immediately forgot the device and repaired, but that trick didn't work this time. So I opened up the Wahoo app (I never use that app) and updated the firmware to the latest version. Then I couldn't do a spindown on the Wahoo app either (it could see the trainer and the signal was strong, but wouldn't register any speed, just like in TR). Tried the spindown in TR again to no avail. Finally I just started pedaling again. It worked fine for a couple minutes, then the resistance cut again, then it came back on and my power went up again, then it cut out, etc, etc. I did the last 12 minutes of my ride and the power profile looks like a sine wave. It was supposedly steady at 172 watts, but it would drop to 60-70, then climb back to 200-220, fall off again, etc.

Since the issue happened at about the same time of each workout, I would think it's something to do with temperature. But I've done a lot of long, hard, hot rides on this trainer (many very recently when it was super hot here a few weeks ago) and never had an issue. Since it's happening in both the Wahoo app and TR, I have to think it's something with the unit itself and not with the app or the connection.

Any help you might have would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Colin

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Something is wrong with my Kickr (help greatly appreciated) [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Colin,

First step is to make sure that the Kickr isn't paired to more than one device. This may well not be the source of the problem you're encountering, but the symptoms you would experience if the Kickr were to be paired to multiple devices are exactly as you describe.

M

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Something is wrong with my Kickr (help greatly appreciated) [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fredly wrote:
Hey Colin,

First step is to make sure that the Kickr isn't paired to more than one device. This may well not be the source of the problem you're encountering, but the symptoms you would experience if the Kickr were to be paired to multiple devices are exactly as you describe.

M

Yeah, that was the first thing I checked. Is that really expected behavior when connected to multiple devices? Complete loss of resistance in the middle of a ride? That's a weird bug.

You gonna be at Lake Samm this weekend?

Quote Reply
Re: Something is wrong with my Kickr (help greatly appreciated) [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im not going to be much help, but i own 4 kickr and have seen a few things so here you go.. first, i will swear that nothing else is connected i mean i am positive, and then i will turn off my phone and after turning off my phone TR will work on the computer, or vise versa.
But really what i did that helped the most is i stopped using my phone. i only run off computers, I had terrible luck with my phone (android)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As per the post /\ you really need to make sure you're not connected to anything else. I found this out the hard way when I had the same (exact, identical) symptoms and thought the trainer had s**t the bed, only to discover that my running watch had spontaneously paired itself to the Kickr.
When this happens, the unit loses resistance as it switches control of resistance between the multiple of paired controllers. There's a zero state as it swaps, and it can get caught in a loop where it keeps switching back and forth.

No CX for me this weekend, I'm going to the beach :)

M

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Something is wrong with my Kickr (help greatly appreciated) [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fredly wrote:
As per the post /\ you really need to make sure you're not connected to anything else. I found this out the hard way when I had the same (exact, identical) symptoms and thought the trainer had s**t the bed, only to discover that my running watch had spontaneously paired itself to the Kickr.
When this happens, the unit loses resistance as it switches control of resistance between the multiple of paired controllers. There's a zero state as it swaps, and it can get caught in a loop where it keeps switching back and forth.

No CX for me this weekend, I'm going to the beach :)

M

Interesting. Thanks for the explanation. I've never connected my watch nor my computer to the kickr, but that's not to say something didn't wig out and suddenly pair (my watch was on my wrist but not in any kind of recording mode, my computer was on and I do have a BLE trackpad). Just more things to try next time!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
have you got garmin express running in the background as that sometimes conflicts?
Quote Reply