Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: So who went to the gym today and how was it? [carboner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry. I would have just gone around back and peed on the dumpster.
Quote Reply
Re: So who went to the gym today and how was it? [randymar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He actually went around back and took the dump. We joked about doing it right outside the back door but did not. Plenty of desert and large bushes just a few yards away.
Quote Reply
Re: So who went to the gym today and how was it? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
went x-country skiing, it was fine ;-)

not looking forward to the next month in the gym, though. The weight room fills up with slow-moving vacillating cud-chewers..

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went to the YMCA on Monday, not too crowded, more kids than adults. I think tonight will be more crowded.

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife got a 6 month pass to Healthworks in Boston as a X-mas bonus. ($600) Unfortunately, she can't use it as it doesn't fit with her schedule at all. She went in and asked if she could get a refund as she would never be able to take advantage and they said "Sorry, you are screwed. We don't do refunds." I'm all for screwing the resolutionaries, but it seems kind of mean to stick it to someone like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got back from the office gym, and it was a little more crowded with a few new faces, but very manageable. We'll see about swimming when I hit the 'Y' tomorrow AM, I haven't had to split a lane at 5:30am for a while but methinks that might change for a month or so.

On a sidenote, someone asked me if I was a resolutionary, after I showed up at a non-local Masters practice last night. I said no I was a triathlete trying to improve my swim splits, although I'm not sure that answer was any better in their eyes :)

-------------
"Knowledge is good" - Emil Faber
Quote Reply
Re: So who went to the gym today and how was it? [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
My wife got a 6 month pass to Healthworks in Boston as a X-mas bonus. ($600) Unfortunately, she can't use it as it doesn't fit with her schedule at all. She went in and asked if she could get a refund as she would never be able to take advantage and they said "Sorry, you are screwed. We don't do refunds."
Is the membership transferrable??? She could transfer it to you or sell it off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the one gym I go to is the classic "pickin'-n-hookin'" up gym - I go there to lift and run the treadmill in front of the 12 foot TV screens - I can watch sports center and run for hours. It is always packed at this place - but also comical - chicks in full make-up and hair, guys doing like three super heavy reps to try and "pump-it-up" and then walking around. Hell there is more milage piled up by the daters walking the gym floor than the folks running the treadmills. And yes the traffic has really pick up - unless I go real early (ie. before the singles with hang overs wake up and the dating game begins) there is no way to go - just a waste of time.

the other gym is 180 degrees the opposite - family and old folk friendly. this gym too has been PACKED for the past 2 weeks with all the college kids home, HS kids off school and family guys like me with extra time to kill because of being off work. The old people are there ALL THE TIME no matter the time of year - so no diff because of them.

Feb won't get here soon enough

http://www.clevetriclub.com

rob reddy
Quote Reply
Re: So who went to the gym today and how was it? [Reddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>The old people are there ALL THE TIME no matter the time of year - so no diff because of them.<<

Ha! Yes, I lift with the old dudes in the afternoon at the Y.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was at our local rec center around 5:30 this morning for a swim. I've been exclusively run training for the past few months and haven't been in the pool. I panicked when I saw that the parking lot was almost full. Luckily, all those folks were in the weight room; I had a lane to myself. I did feel like a goober standing in line to check in, though. I kept wanting to say -- "Hey, I work out all the time, all year round!" I didn't, of course, much like I never scream out to other runners "Yes, I can run faster than this. Really."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I wish. It is an all-women gym. Plus, I don't use gyms. Trying to figure out if it is possible to "officially or un-officially" transfer it to someone else's name.

It's too bad, as my wife liked the gym when she had been a member (before we moved away) and would have rejoined had they ever opened one near us, but now they are blacklisted...I thought this was the kind of stunt Bally's pulled.
Quote Reply
Re: So who went to the gym today and how was it? [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Yeah, I wish. It is an all-women gym.
Does it rhyme with "Swerves?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, it rhymes with "Healthworks."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's a gym? ;-)

Just kidding, we have one in our building at work, where I change & shower for my lunch time runs, and it is busier than usual, that's for sure. Most of them will be gone within 2 weeks, but I'm trying to be positive and helpful - maybe one will stick around. We tend to accumulate one new "regular" every year...

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting -I'm very spoiled @ my pool. I always get a lane to myself. The corollary to that, of course, is that people think splitting a lane is as taboo as sharing a treadmill so I was curious how it would go today. I've used this pool for three years so I'm used to the january rush. Anyway got to the pool and sure 'nuf the three lanes all have someone in them. I gotta admit I have no qualms about splitting a lane with someone. Anyway two had "noodlers" and one had a new swimmer, drilling. He invited me to share with him so I did. Swam for 25" and then while resting watched him do a catchup drill. I then ended up spending 30" discussing swimming technique and trying to help him with his form. I felt kind of nervous offering him suggestions cuz I'm pretty slow and certainly no expert. Nonetheless he seemed grateful. I hope I did the right thing. It felt good to welcome him to triathlon.

Pat
Quote Reply
Re: So who went to the gym today and how was it? [Sojourner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everybody is trying to get a start on their new years resolutions. They'll dwindle by the end of the month.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hti the gym on Monday, the first real day of the year, at 8:30 am. It was packed. There were lines for treadmills ellipticals. I came at the same time on Tuesday, and there were 10% as many people. I hope they didn't give up that fast!
Quote Reply
Re: So who went to the gym today and how was it? [BenDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
30-40% of the newbies to the gym will make it through Sat-Sun and then they'll get hammered on Sat-Sun night and not make it back to the gym next week. The remaining newbies will make it for 4-6 weeks until they get the first hint of Spring...then they'll bag the gym.
Quote Reply
Re: So who went to the gym today and how was it? [strongontherun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sunday I hit the gym for a nice solid workout with a buddy. It was nearly dead and we had a great workout.

Monday I did a nice outside run to avoid the crowds.

This morning I hit the gym again to see the madness and it wasn't bad at 5:30am when I started, but between 6:30-8 it was kinda busy. Nothing too crazy though as there were plenty of machines to go around until I left ~9am.
Quote Reply
Re: So who went to the gym today and how was it? [Trillini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
... people think splitting a lane is as taboo as sharing a treadmill ...
Sharing a treadmill??? That could get REAL interesting REAL fast.

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At the pool today....I asked our gym manager about the New Year's rush, and she said it has not been nearly as bad as in recent years. Today is Wed. Through the course of about an 80 minute swim workout, there were maybe 10 other swimmers in and out of the pool - about a 10 lane pool....so it was nice, we had our own lanes the whole time.

People I've loved, I have no regrets
Some I remember, some I forget
Some of them living, some of them dead
All I want is to be home ".....Foo Fighters, Home

Quote Reply
Re: So who went to the gym today and how was it? [FooFighterFan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The YMCA that I USED to belong to got mad-crazy-nutz every year in Jan-Feb. Like 30+ minute waits for treadmills, no chance of a consistent weight routine and FORGET about swimming. Even the 6:00am open swim sessions had 8-10 people PER LANE. Bad craziness. It's one of the things that forced me to build out my home gym in the basement.

[url]http://www.aknobforbrightness.com/gallery/HomeGym[/url]

The equipment has been around for some time (except the CompuTrainer, that's new) but we finished out this section of the basement just last fall specifically to avoid the madness in the gym.

Now, if I can only figure out a way to put in the Endless Pool.... hmmmmm...

Prev Next