Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cycling around Lake Tahoe
Quote | Reply
I will be in San Jose for 2 weeks for work and i will bring my bike. looking to do a long ride in the weekend, I have seen I can drive 3hrs to Lake Tahoe and cycle around it for about 70miles (not only for the ride but to stay for the weekend)
Is this loop on a safe road during the day on a Saturday? I had bad experience cycling in US in the past...so I ask
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling around Lake Tahoe [Plissken74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It will take you around 4 hours 15 minutes to drive to Lake Tahoe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have spent a lot of summers up in Tahoe and love it up there, but have never cycled around the lake and doubt I ever will. There are a lot of cyclists that do the ride, so you will get varying opinions, but to me, it is too dangerous unless you really know the area. It is a busy road with narrow to no shoulder in many parts. Mix in tourists not paying attention, general traffic congestion in the south and north ends of the lake along with cars zipping by well past the speed limit. In my opinion it just won't be fun, not to mention you are at 7000 feet of elevation so altitude is also an issue. Again, I love Lake Tahoe, I just don't bring my road bike when I go. Also, it is way longer than a 3 hour drive.
For epic cycling, head north to Marin, Sonoma or Napa.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plissken74 wrote:
I will be in San Jose for 2 weeks for work and i will bring my bike. looking to do a long ride in the weekend, I have seen I can drive 3hrs to Lake Tahoe and cycle around it for about 70miles (not only for the ride but to stay for the weekend)
Is this loop on a safe road during the day on a Saturday? I had bad experience cycling in US in the past...so I ask
Riding around the lake is awesome, but not in August -- too many tourists/cars. Unless you really want to drive 3-4 hrs to the mountains, I would highly recommend riding locally. Many world class rides near San Jose. PM me if you want more info and I can give you some detailed ride suggestions. Honestly the riding near San Jose is just as good as Tahoe, just as hilly, pretty, etc. The mountains are not as high, but the climbs are just as long, and the coast is beautiful too.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling around Lake Tahoe [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
It will take you around 4 hours 15 minutes to drive to Lake Tahoe.

Unless your driving Friday afternoon. Then it's measured in days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plissken74 wrote:

I did some around lake Tahoe riding on a rented bike from South Lake Tahoe about 4 years ago. I rode up the eastern side, on the "major" road. I went about 20 miles before turning around and going back the opposite way. There is are shoulders, but the cut down narrowly, in some areas. There are also long, steady climbs and descents, so don't expect flat terrain. There are a couple tunnels on the eastern side that have signals that you can activate to warn drivers that a cyclist is in the tunnel, since the tunnels are narrow and dark. Overall, it was an OK experience. You will see people riding bikes on this road, even though it's a rather fast road and does have traffic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now that we're nearly in September, you'll be hitting shoulder season so traffic should die down a bit, but I'd wait until AFTER Labor Day weekend to go. Agree w the poster who said Friday traffic will be terrible on 680 + 580, it'll easily take 5 - 6 hours to get there if you go Friday afternoon.

Other notes:
  • it's chilly in the AM in Tahoe, expect temps to be in 40s until about 8 AM or 9 AM, maybe later
  • 89 is a good stretch w smooth roads and generous bike lanes, same with each side of Brockway Summit, though the rest of the road around the lake can be dicey (two lanes with zero-to-little passing area and a lot of auto traffic)
  • if it were me, I'd ride a loop of the old Ironman Lake Tahoe course, those roads are probably fine this time of year, DM me if you need Garmin/Strava files of the loop
  • lastly, riding in Tahoe is divine and I'm super-jealous...don't worry about the alittude, it doesn't hit you badly on the bike, but DO wear sunscreen + chapstick w SPF...intense sun at 6-7K ft is biggest issue I have up there

If you just want to do climbing in the Bay Area, you could check out Mt Hamilton, Mt Diablo (my fave) or Marin (Alpine Dam + Seven Sisters + Mt Tam), I also have Strava and Garmin files for all these rides if you need
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stay away from tahoe for road bikes. I go every year and stopped bringing my road bike no shoulder anywhere... GO MOUNTAIN BIKING INSTEAD! seriously awesome mountain biking around there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of good advice here, I have done the ride dozens of times, mostly off season and without too much traffic. My only suggestion is if you do go for it, go clockwise if you want to set a good PR, a few miles shorter hugging the coastline(and better views)..(-;
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling around Lake Tahoe [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to sound like a broken record, but riding around the lake on the weekend in summer is sketchy as hell. There's some pretty tight sections where there is little to no shoulder, plus there are often cars parked on said limited shoulder trying to get to beaches.

That being said, doing the 50ish+ loop around Truckee, Kings Beach, Tahoe City via the 89, 267 and 28 is a much better call.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve done the America’s Most Beautiful Bike around the lake with an out and back to Truckee for a 100 miler. It was in early June and an organized ride so probably more traffic control. Fun and scenic ride.

I’d listen to the locals though as they clearly have more experience.

I live at 6000ft in CO so the altitude was normal.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve ridden it on a weekend. Yes the shoulder disappears but don’t let that stop you. I would only caution you to dress for the occasion. Temp swings. Also start early if you can.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Tahoe it's fine to ride just go early and clockwise .after this holiday weekend the traffic won't be bad .message me I'll go around with you just depends on the day you want to ride
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drive down to San Luis Obispo and ride north up to the Hearst Castle area and back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for all the inputs
I looked at the Ironman Lake Tahoe course and probably it would be safer (as somebody suggested)

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/10174239

what do you think?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plissken74 wrote:
thanks for all the inputs
I looked at the Ironman Lake Tahoe course and probably it would be safer (as somebody suggested)

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/10174239

what do you think?

It's pretty safe. You only have to watch the parts through Tahoe City (lots of cars trying to park) and similarly be careful in central Truckee. Sad to see that course go.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've lived in the Tahoe/Truckee area for over twenty five years. I'm an avid cyclist and road racer and train 8 to 12 hours per week. I avoid riding around Lake Tahoe due to the high danger from tourist, motorhomes and distracted drivers. There are are sections between Tahoe City and Kings Beach that have decent shoulders and other good rides in the area. But Lake Tahoe get's a thumbs down from me. There are great rides in the area, but be careful. Stop in Paco's Bike Shop in Truckee for more information.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling around Lake Tahoe [hopperagent] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hopperagent wrote:
I've lived in the Tahoe/Truckee area for over twenty five years. I'm an avid cyclist and road racer and train 8 to 12 hours per week. I avoid riding around Lake Tahoe due to the high danger from tourist, motorhomes and distracted drivers. There are are sections between Tahoe City and Kings Beach that have decent shoulders and other good rides in the area. But Lake Tahoe get's a thumbs down from me. There are great rides in the area, but be careful. Stop in Paco's Bike Shop in Truckee for more information.

Where in Truckee? Families got a place in Schaffers Mill, we head up often. Would love a riding partner!

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply