Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Is Triathlon Inherently Selfish and Egocentric? [Frankbul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frankbul wrote:
A thought for this forum... maybe people in general are inherently selfish and egocentric...? Why even break it down into triathlon, horse racing, reading, or any other hobby/sport?

Good point!
Quote Reply
Re: Is Triathlon Inherently Selfish and Egocentric? [sjn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sjn wrote:
Sanuk wrote:
There are very few hobbies/pastimes that have any social utility.

Well, if you mean that they are not the equivalent of direct a contribution of labor to social welfare projects then sure. There's more to the well-being of society than that. The idea that all spare time should be devoted to such activities (and I'm not attributing this idea to you) is not only impractical but also short-sighted. The point of human society -- if there is one -- is to enable and encourage human flourishing. Yes, flourishing requires access to food and shelter, etc., but there's more to it than that. If we leave out the 'more', then we're just eating and pooping until we die.

Sanuk wrote:

I agree but there have been a few here mocking the writer because he is involved in horse racing just as he mocked triathletes for our sport.

They were at least also (maybe only) mocking him for being hypocritical.

----
Michael
Quote Reply
Re: Is Triathlon Inherently Selfish and Egocentric? [Experior] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most sport and hobbies are useless and futile but many are occasions for people to enjoy things together. Take Soccer/football or sailboat racing for exmaple (i was lucky enough to enjoy this sport for many years, now i live too far from sea). People drink and smile and laugh.
Triathlon is selfish, expensive but it's also brutal, most of the training is done alone, especially when one is working full time job. Look at all the time we spend on home trainer to be better at cycling on a short timeframe. That is crazy.
Every year i can't help but wonder why i spend all this money, all this time and all this energy pursuing abstract and meaningless goal. But i'm still doing it, still giving some of my money to IM when i know it's not a good company that they're making me pay for my false pride.

But hey, in the end racing is living, i know it, i lived it, i can't stop it.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Triathlon Inherently Selfish and Egocentric? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
What a load of crap. The same could be said about someone into restoring cars or gardening. How is that bettering society rather than fulfilling their own self interests in a different way. Some people crave competition and some just like the fitness aspect. Tell me any competitive sport that is any different?

It's funny that you say that. I took the year off from triathlon and got heavily into gardening. I missed the adulation of the crowds, so I used to invite family and friends over to watch me tend to my plants. When I was hot, tired, sweaty, and covered in dirt, hearing someone say " you got this!" or "looking strong!" would give me the boost I needed to keep weeding. I used to love running past everyone giving a muddy handed high fives. Not getting a race medal sucks, but I have tomatoes.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Triathlon Inherently Selfish and Egocentric? [nickwisconsin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly I'd rather have tomatoes than a race medal. Maybe you're on to something
Quote Reply
Re: Is Triathlon Inherently Selfish and Egocentric? [nickwisconsin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwisconsin wrote:
Shambolic wrote:
What a load of crap. The same could be said about someone into restoring cars or gardening. How is that bettering society rather than fulfilling their own self interests in a different way. Some people crave competition and some just like the fitness aspect. Tell me any competitive sport that is any different?

It's funny that you say that. I took the year off from triathlon and got heavily into gardening. I missed the adulation of the crowds, so I used to invite family and friends over to watch me tend to my plants. When I was hot, tired, sweaty, and covered in dirt, hearing someone say " you got this!" or "looking strong!" would give me the boost I needed to keep weeding. I used to love running past everyone giving a muddy handed high fives. Not getting a race medal sucks, but I have tomatoes.

You can buy tomatoes. Oh, wait. You can buy race medals too. Now I understand.

----
Michael
Quote Reply
Re: Is Triathlon Inherently Selfish and Egocentric? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Every athletic endeavor that an adult does when they have children is selfish. From Adult Rugby, Hockey, Soccer, Softball etc.

The single most impactful factor when it comes to children being sufficiently physically active is if their parent is active themselves. So no, you being active is actually for the benefit of your child!
Quote Reply
Re: Is Triathlon Inherently Selfish and Egocentric? [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So when you spend 20 hours away from your kids, how is that not selfish and egocentric?

I'm a triathlete and rugby player...so at some point some fat on my adult hobbies is gonna have to get cut so I can be a father effectively.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Triathlon Inherently Selfish and Egocentric? [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RBR wrote:
Did not read

I’m too important

I’m a triathlete

That was funny! LOL
Quote Reply

Prev Next