Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Revisiting Tire Presure
Quote | Reply

With my A race for the year rapidly approaching, I have been wondering about how Slowtitcher's deal with a flat tire during the race. I can see that with a mile or two left on the bike leg that we use a CO2 cartridge and take off not really caring about the pressure for that short distance.

How about if the flat is early on in the bike leg?

Do you use a pump with a gauge to measure pressure? Do you know that a 16 gram CO2 cartridge will inflate the tire to the proper pressure? Do you wing it and say 'good enough'? Measure by feel? Do you not care at all?

Thanks!

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Revisiting Tire Presure [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wing it and go by feel.

Someone used to tell me “ride fast and take chances”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The way I see it, the extra time you will lose trying to get the perfect pressure on the side of the road mid-race (compared to slamming a CO2 in and getting on your way), will out weigh the time savings from Crr etc with perfect pressure. That is a completely baseless assumption though so YMMV.

You could pretest what a 16g cartridge will inflate your empty tube/tire to before the race and check with a gauge if that gives you peace of mind.
Quote Reply
Re: Revisiting Tire Presure [CyclingClyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone done this see what PSI one cartridge has done? I've popped tires on short rides before and used the C02 to just get home.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Revisiting Tire Presure [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

There are charts but I think that even the smaller cartridges over inflate:

https://www.bicyclestore.com.au/bicycle-accessories/pumps-co2/what-size-co2-cartridge-do-i-need.html

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
over inflation is definatly somthing to be aware of, I had a tub( conti comp) go on a group ride, swapped it for a spare (vittoria rally), chucked in a co2 cartrige as i would with a conti without paying too much attention... 2 miles and bang front blow out from over inflation, still got the scars....

I should have been paying more attention, a conti will take around 160psi ok, but the Vitoria rallys are only rated for about 120psi.
Quote Reply