Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Replacement windows???
Quote | Reply
We need new windows and there are too many choices. Anyone have good advice?

Are the lowE ones as dark as they look? I really like my sunshine and natural light.
Quote Reply
Re: Replacement windows??? [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anderson or Marvin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know about brands but I got inserts because you save a little money doing it that way. I wish I hadn't done that.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IOS or Linux?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was looking into replacing the windows in our condo recently (project is on hold) I was also concerned about the low E being dark, but I don’t think they are that much darker and if we do go ahead and replace I think they will be fine.
I started with Angie’s list to look for companies with a supierior service record (I was hesitant to go to Home Depot, wasn’t sure about how good their installers would be. Maybe someone has more experience with them) then I got on the Neighborhood App and got recommendations from neighbors. Anderson were expensive.

Moonrocket wrote:

Are the lowE ones as dark as they look? I really like my sunshine and natural light.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I don't know anything about them, but be careful going cheap. We live in a nice custom home but they cheaped out on the windows. Just about every damn one of those things is broken in one way or the other. Can be a real PITA.
Quote Reply
Re: Replacement windows??? [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had to replace a friends Anderson window recently due to a soccer ball incident. House was built in the 80's double glazed but an old style that you can't buy now EXCEPT you can still order an Anderson window in any style they made back into the 50's. They make these custom to order. This was a large 3 paned picture window. Replacing the whole thing would have been $$$. I ordered the one pane and it was a perfect fit. $300 vs $1000+

I replaced all the windows in my house in 2000. Marvin on the front. Pella on the back. Guess which ones look brand new still and which ones I need to replace a couple?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I replaced windows last year with Jeld-Wen and having broken the internal window, days later a new one was replaced and installed. Took all of twenty minutes. I don’t know if the other two companies will replace as part of the warranty.

Quote | Reply
TropicPlace wrote:
IOS or Linux?

No-one has acknowledged this yet. But it made me laugh so I appreciate it haha.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:

My wife and I just did windows and a french door. We went with Andersen and we are super happy. Great quality, and great warranty.

Be careful and don't go with one of the sub-companies. We get a lot of notices for "Renewal by Andersen" and its not the same. Our good friend told us that.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Replacement windows??? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
I don't know about brands but I got inserts because you save a little money doing it that way. I wish I hadn't done that.

What do you mean by inserts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.andersenwindows.com/...-window-replacement/

Quote | Reply
If you have any that do t need to open/close, consider having a custom double pane made. I did that and built my own frame for a transom window. Was 2/3 the cost and a far better window than what I could order from Lowe’s.

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Re: Replacement windows??? [lunchbox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We went with Paradigm windows. Made in Maine. My uncle worked at a lumber yard, was an Anderson salesmen and recommended Paradigm as a replacement. The window frame stays and the Paradigm fits inside the existing frame. They will custom make based on the size of your existing frames. If you replace the whole window with frame, you need to re-shingle around the window outside and re-finish around the inside. They've held up well for 12 years so far. By installing an insert, you lose about 1.5" on each side, top and bottom. At first it bugged me and I felt the windows looked small. After a while I don't even notice anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Installed the low e doesn’t look as dark. We do have a problem with birds flying into the large bay window since replacing.

We replaced all our windows 2 years ago. We went with Window Nation which is a large chain. The windows are ok and probably not top of the line. We choose them for 2 reasons. They make and install the windows plus guarantee them. The main reason is we could only get one contractor to agree to install. He couldn’t give us a labor cost until he took one apart to see what was involved. Window nation gave us a price with a contract up front.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shop around and find a good installer. I just replaced my windows with custom vinyl insert replacements from an online window retailer. The material cost was half of what I was quoted from my local lumber yard for custom vinyl and I ended up with double hung color matched windows. Quality appears to be significantly better than anything I have seen at box stores. IMO the low E glass appearance is insignificant inside the house.

Why are you replacing the windows?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much does an average window replacement cost? This appears to be another one of those high pressure high margin things
Quote Reply
Re: Replacement windows??? [wakinglife] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for the advice!

wakinglife wrote:
Shop around and find a good installer. I just replaced my windows with custom vinyl insert replacements from an online window retailer. The material cost was half of what I was quoted from my local lumber yard for custom vinyl and I ended up with double hung color matched windows. Quality appears to be significantly better than anything I have seen at box stores. IMO the low E glass appearance is insignificant inside the house.

Why are you replacing the windows?

They keep leaking and ruining the siding below them. We have three that have done it now. A few lost their seal and are fogged and the aluminum spacers are working their way loose in a lot of them.

We are getting a new roof (hail damage) and my husband wants to replace the windows on the front and the warped siding before putting the new roof on so he doesn’t risk getting paint drips on the new roof. Second story windows above first story roof. He did fix the leak for now is not confident in it long term. The sills are filling with water and my daughter’s room gets mold on them if we don’t clean after every rain storm.

They are 20 years old and looking around our neighborhood it looks like about 40% of homes have at least some replacement windows- so i’m Guessing they were not that high quality to start. There is one in the living room that nobody will sit on the couch in front of it in the winter because it’s chilly.

We are not sure if we are going to do them all at once or just those that need it- any perspective on this?

What store did you use?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That doesn't sound like much fun. I would definitely bring that up with potential window installers. There are different methods of replacing windows, some being more extensive than others, and the issue could be missed on the install. Sounds like you know where the leak is at though. For example, a retrofit "insert" put into an existing window that was improperly flashed will continue to have water issues.

Think the decision to replace all or do partial replacement comes down to preference and financial resources. We did a partial replacement and new trim / energy upgrades on the old windows that still functioned well. No one notices unless I point it out.
Quote Reply