Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Slowtwiki?
Quote | Reply
I have been meaning to add an article on yoga for triathletes to the wiki but can't figure out how to start an article. A little help please.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwiki? [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. you've got to create an account, much like you did when signing up to post in this forum.

2. to EDIT a page, you just click the EDIT tab at the top of the page, and you're off and running.

3. to ADD a page, embed links, etc., that stuff requires a bit more help. we don't have a wiki markup help page, but our pages work exactly like the wikipedia pages do. here's their wiki markup help section:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:How_to_edit_a_page

you'll find links on this page that take you to other pages that deal with specific issues, such as starting a page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:How_to_start_a_page

there's a slight learning curve, but it's MUCH easier than html. it's sort of html lite. within 20 minutes you're starting pages, editing pages, linking stuff, and so forth.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwiki? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan, I have an account, when I follow the help route it take me to a Wikipedia site that says to start a page enter the subject here and click.

I can't find that page on slowtwiki? I understand the rest of it I just can't get started

Jim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same here... A little lost right now.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I understand the rest of it I just can't get started"

yes, we need to build out our "help" section a bit better. but, how 'bout this. if you go the "search" utility on Slowtwiki and you type in YOGA you'll get a page that gives you your search results.

you'll find that no page with THIS EXACT TITLE exists. and that phrase THIS EXACT TITLE is linked. if you click that link you'll generate a new page entitled YOGA and you can start typing. then click SAVE PAGE at the bottom, when you're done, and voila, new page. then, you can go back and embed your links, etc.

let me know if that works for you.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that worked Dan
thanks

Jim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
" that worked"

goody. now, let's home tom can make it hum for him. that'll vault slowtwiki into the big time, and we can battle it out with wikipedia.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are we not able to upload images? It tells me i am not logged in but I am

Jim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Are we not able to upload images?"

as it now is, no, you can't. that's the one thing i didn't enable, because i'm still a bit afraid of people uploading copyrighted images. a lot of people just don't understand that you can't just lift and image and stick it up on a site. they're a bit more hip to something that is written and copyright protected, but they just don't think about where that image came from that they're getting ready to upload.

but i, as a sysop, can upload them. why don't you email me your images and i'll place them? (just make sure they're, you know, not copyright protected :-)).

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, I will be working on this article for a couple of days. I will send the images along as I shoot them. All images will be properrty of me, and probably of me.

Jim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"Are we not able to upload images?"

as it now is, no, you can't. that's the one thing i didn't enable, because i'm still a bit afraid of people uploading copyrighted images. a lot of people just don't understand that you can't just lift and image and stick it up on a site. they're a bit more hip to something that is written and copyright protected, but they just don't think about where that image came from that they're getting ready to upload.

but i, as a sysop, can upload them. why don't you email me your images and i'll place them? (just make sure they're, you know, not copyright protected :-)).

you mean like me and KJGrog don't you.

I am starting to get a little hip to this now that there are some articles there, it could be cool.

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwiki? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I added some more information in the help section on adding new articles... As I get questions, I keep refining to it so hopefully it will become more and more helpful.

Take a look at http://slowtwitch.com/...ex.php/Help:Contents and see if it is making more sense...

If anyone has a question about editing or adding and need a little help, feel free to pm me. I'll be glad to help in any way that I can. A couple of folks have started and then gotten stuck so I helped clean it up (with links, categories, cleanup/markup) so they could see a sample. Once you do it once or twice you will realize that everything is the same after that. You can also just click edit on one of the pages 'like tri 101' for example to see what the wiki markup looks like. The most important thing is *don't be afraid to make mistakes*, we can always revert back if you fat-finger something. No problem... ;)

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwiki? [jtaylor1024] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh one other thing, if you want a good place to experiment, just click on your user name after you log in. That is your personal page that you can play with all you like without having to worry about affecting content on existing articles...

If you have a question, feel free to add it here http://slowtwitch.com/...x.php/Help:Questions

----
Don't hold back
Last edited by: jtaylor1024: Jan 1, 06 12:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who do we contact about suggestions for what labels are shown under the 'user-edited directories'.

For example, I'm not sure if the 'Triathlon 101' section is intended to be a resource for training articles, or some FAQ of what triathlon is all about for those who are just getting into the sport. Right now, I'm not sure where the best place to put an artcle for "Training with Powermeters" is. I think there should be a separate directory for Training vs. general information that can be found in the Triathlon 101 section.

Also, I think there should be a directory for Lifestyle/General Well-being or something to that effect. This could be a home for articles on nutrition, injury prevention, yoga ect. There is a great post on the forum today about how to help with insomnia, and I think it would be a valuable post on slowtwiki, but I wouldn't know where it would go.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwiki? [shaner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I think there should be a separate directory for Training vs. general information that can be found in the Triathlon 101 section."

you're right. i'm going to have that changed in the navbar above, and we'll create a separate category.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan did you get the pics for my yoga article? I wasn't sure if my email went thru.

Jim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
" Dan did you get the pics for my yoga article?"

yeah, i got 'em, i'm getting to it. thx for sending.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwiki? [shaner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan, if I can make another suggestion.

Along with Athlete bios, how about Coach bios-summaries.

One central location to be able to look for and compare coaching services would be huge.

Thanks

greg
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwiki? [Train in Vain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here you go...

http://slowtwitch.com/...index.php/Coach_Bios

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply