Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How much do you drink on a "long" ride? I think I am a camel
Quote | Reply
Yesterday I did a 70 mile ride (solo) in moderately cool weather (low 50's) and only went through about 3/4 of a standard size water bottle of Accelerade. This included some moderate climbing from northern Sonoma County into northern Napa Valley. I also had a cliff bar. Does that seem like too little fluid? I never did feel very thirsty and had to remind my self to drink. Even in the summer I never carry more than one bottle even on 50-65 mile rides. Am I just a camel or others like this ?

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you drink on a "long" ride? I think I am a camel [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Camel. Definitely camel.

What about when you are racing? Do you race long or short course?

On a related issue, what animal has an exceptionally large bladder? I said, bladder. During my IM's, the only time I need to go from an hour before the start to about 2 hours afterwards, is during T2. On typical long training rides, everyone else will go 2 or 3 times and I may go once. I drink tons. Anyone else like this?
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you drink on a "long" ride? I think I am a camel [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weigh yourself before and after a ride like that and see how much you loose. If you loose a more then a few lbs you should drink more.

I usuallt finish 2 large bottles (22oz) on a 40-50 mile ride during the summer so I am not like you.

Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw a sports dietician last year and was told to aim for about 70gms carbs per hour, which equated to one bike bidon of sports drink per hour plus a gel or bar etc. This was for races though so when going easy I don't believe I need as much but usually aim for the 1 bottle per hour rule...plus whatever snacks I consume along the way. When it's cold it's hard to get one bottle per hour down and then when I make the mistake of 'breaking the seal' too early I constantly feel the need to go. I'm the opposite to J..I believe I have NO bladder!

I think the one bottle per hour is a good guide though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Often I'll do early morning training rides of 40-50 miles without drinking anything at all, except for a couple glasses of water before I leave. When its warmer and humid (think 90 deg and 90% humidity), I'll go through 3 bottles every 2 hours, or more in races. So I don't think you are that unusual
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wow ... thats very little water - I generally go through one bottle per hour during warmer rides.
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you drink on a "long" ride? I think I am a camel [Gary Tingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
on long rides 3.5-5hrs in cold (sub 55 F) I might finish 1 large bottle. In the summer temps in AZ even starting at 5am I will go through 4 and have gone through 7 to 8 bottles

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Weigh yourself - before and after [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would lose about 7 lbs under the conditions of your ride - about 3.5% of total weight. I sweat like pig. I believe anything over 2% is considered detrimental to performance/health. I have heard kidney stones (DeBoom?) are believed to be caused by chronic dehydration.

Weigh yourself before and after - if you aren't losing weight then you are indeed a dromedary.
Quote Reply