Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Can a bike be set up too steep? (now with pic)
Quote | Reply
I have searched to forum, but there are too many steep/slack post to sift through. I ride a Giant T-mobile TT size small. The nose of my seat is a cm or two in front of the bottom bracket center. I don't know enough about fit to guess the angle, but could it possibly be too steep. I have had a hard time getting comfortable on the aero bars and have had some hamstring problems that is not normal for me. I have been in this position for about 3 months now and have raced it once (SOMA HIM top 10 bike split). I am in good shape so fitness or weight is not an issue.

I
Last edited by: MStein: Dec 31, 05 11:02
Quote Reply
Re: Can a bike be set up too steep? [MStein] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One more thing, the nuetral position of the bike is set at 75. The seat post has three bolts at the top of it. The middle one is 75...I have mine in the bolt farthest forward and have the seat slid all the way forward. I never moved it from when I discovered the other bolt pattern.

Matt

Mat Steinmetz

51-SPEEDSHOP.com - instagram - @matsteinmetz - facebook
Last edited by: MStein: Dec 30, 05 19:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like the saddle may be too high or too low.

A bike that is "too steep" would likely be really squirrelly in the front end (too much weight up front), and that is how you'd know. It likely would not manifest itself in terms of comfort.

I'd start with saddle height. A trip to a good fitter is a good idea. You have a really nice bike, so take advantage of it...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't say anything with the info you've given. There is a lot of bias towards very steep positions on this forum but for many people a 75/76 "multisport" position as you are riding may be more powerful and/or comfortable for them.

If you have long femurs you may be more comfortable in a more slack position on that frame. You've got the fitness so the problem with comfort seems to be more of a problem of fit. Try experimenting a bit and find out what works best for you. Either that or go to a high end bike fitter and get an opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you really want to go steep try a unicycle.

"When I first had the opportunity to compete in triathlon, it was the chicks and their skimpy race clothing that drew me in. Everyone was so welcoming and the lifestyle so obviously narcissistic. I fed off of that vain energy. To me it is what the sport is all about."
Quote Reply
Re: Can a bike be set up too steep? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I originally had a P2sl, but totalled it in a crash, I had that fit to me at bikesport. I was set up steep, but not sure how steep. So when I got this bike, I sat it up as low and steep as I could get it. I am pretty fast this way, but wonder if I could be faster and maybe a bit more comfortable. I dont have any problems with my back, it is just the feeling of holding a lot of weight on my arms and shoulders. And the hamstring problem...It may be from something that has nothing to do with bike fit.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Can a bike be set up too steep? [Tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I almost feel like I am on a unicycle, especially when I ride with no hands.
Quote Reply
Re: Can a bike be set up too steep? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

A bike that is "too steep" would likely be really squirrelly in the front end (too much weight up front), and that is how you'd know. It likely would not manifest itself in terms of comfort.
I have to disagree with you... it depends on the geometry of the bike, for (hypothetical) example on a bike designed with a steep seattube, really short chainstays and a long toptube, set up too steep for you at 85 degrees you could have less weight (i.e. front/rear weight bias) on the front than on a shallow road bike with long chainstays and a short toptube and set up properly for you at 78 degrees...
Last edited by: Diablo-Advocato: Dec 30, 05 22:12
Quote Reply
Re: Can a bike be set up too steep? [Diablo-Advocato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I have to disagree with you... it depends on the geometry of the bike, "

And I'd have to disagree again. There is a reason why road racers don't race on steep angle bikes - they just don't handle as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"I have to disagree with you... it depends on the geometry of the bike, "

And I'd have to disagree again. There is a reason why road racers don't race on steep angle bikes - they just don't handle as well.
That's a non-sequitur... read the posts again... carefully...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a reason why road racers don't race on steep angle bikes - they just don't handle as well.
UCI racers don't ride steep now because of the silly UCI rulebook. I ride a bike in the 83 degree range and it handles very well in all conditions. Handling is a question of bike design and if you design a bike correctly, then it can be ridden very steep and not be squirelly. Many tri bikes are squirelly when ridden steep--I owned two that were terrifying on descents--but my present bike handles mountain switchbacks with ease and I have total confidence in my ability to corner.

Chad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
75 degree seat angle (on chart), 73 degree head angle, short top tube, not very short head tube, probably pretty short front center.

The bike is not made to be ridden in a steep set-up. Something with a 78 degree seat angle, slacker head tube angle, and longer front center would work better for a steep set-up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The one thing that I will disagree is that I'm not sure you could properly set up a shallow road bike at 78*. A shallow bike with a short top-tube is a recipe for disaster. I agree that there are all kinds of theoretical "what-ifs," but speaking in terms of traditional geometry (especially with regards to the bike here), the likely scenario for "too steep" would be too much weight on the front end.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"That's a non-sequitur... read the posts again... carefully... "

My bad. Sorry.
Quote Reply
Re: Can a bike be set up too steep? [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is a reason why road racers don't race on steep angle bikes - they just don't handle as well.
UCI racers don't ride steep now because of the silly UCI rulebook. I ride a bike in the 83 degree range and it handles very well in all conditions. Handling is a question of bike design and if you design a bike correctly, then it can be ridden very steep and not be squirelly. Many tri bikes are squirelly when ridden steep--I owned two that were terrifying on descents--but my present bike handles mountain switchbacks with ease and I have total confidence in my ability to corner.

Chad
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chad

Am looking into tri geometry hoe steep is your design? What sort of angles and rake do you have at the front end? Am intrigued by the design of your bike.

David

David T-D
http://www.tilburydavis.com
Last edited by: tilburs: Dec 31, 05 9:17
Quote Reply
Re: Can a bike be set up too steep? [tilburs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
David,

I am riding a Yaqui with DE geometry. It is close too, but not exactly like the one he describes in "And experiment in geometry" on this website. For me the seat tube is 81.5 degrees. I don't know the exact head tube angle, but the fork does have 50mm of rake. Ves has a site at yaquiusa.com, but the details of that particular geometry are not on the site. It's a great bike. I rarely even touch my road bike because I can ride it all day.

Chad
Quote Reply
Re: Can a bike be set up too steep? [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
75 degree seat angle (on chart), 73 degree head angle, short top tube, not very short head tube, probably pretty short front center.

What are the recommended measurements.

Mat Steinmetz

51-SPEEDSHOP.com - instagram - @matsteinmetz - facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you post a pic of the bike? or you on the bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Can a bike be set up too steep? [df] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is some pictures, I dont really have any good ones with me on it in regards to position, but through one in from HIM.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you flexible? If you are having hamstring trouble maybe you need to work on hamstring flexibility. It may be that your position is a bit aggressive for your hamstrings. Alternatively you could try raising your stem 1-2cm to see if that relieves the discomfort. If it does then again flexibility is the problem and you can work on your flexibility over the next few months to get back down to your current position.

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Re: Can a bike be set up too steep? [Justin in OK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel like am am very flexible, but I'm not sure if it is lower back flexability or hamstring. I can touch my palms to the floor and when sitted touch my wrist on my toes. I just rode 25 hrs in 5 days and the my biggest complaint would be comfort on my arms while in the aero position. I moved the pads farther apart on the aero bars, but have not tried it out that much yet.

I was just curious if you can be too steep on a bike. I know from previous post that you can be too steep on a road bike, but how about a TT bike with a nuetral angle of 75. I have no clue what angle I am at and if anyone can guess that would be good to know.

If I moved the seat back on the rails a bit would that make much of a difference?

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Move the saddle back and see if it helps. That is the easiest way to test that. If you move it back, move it down a hair (use a tape measure to make sure the BB-to-where you sit distance remains the same. Back 1cm would probably mean down about 1mm or so.

Quote Reply
Re: Can a bike be set up too steep? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Back 1cm would probably mean down about 1mm or so.

You really do use a micrometer to set up your bike...
Quote Reply
Re: Can a bike be set up too steep? [caleb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What can I say? :)

Quote Reply