Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Challenge Turku (70.3)
Quote | Reply
I'm a bit surprised nobody posted anything about this. I just saw that Kienle won this half distance race with an insane bike split and also a fast run. He is however not racing in the 70.3 WC.

Results: http://live.ultimate.dk/...ignoreuseragent=true

I don't suppose many people have ridden faster than 2 hours over a half? From reading the comments in Instagram it might have been "only" 89,5 km but if you look at the difference with the other top guys (this Pablo Dapena guy ain't too shabby so far this year and ran 6 seconds faster) I'm sure it was an outstanding performance.

I've only been to Helsinki for work so have no idea how riding there is, but I generally like Scandinavia so this could be a nice excuse to go back. Anyone here that participated?
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Turku (70.3) [tomdefietsbom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I participated.

The official bike course length was 89,5. My garmin said 89km and people I talked with said anything between 88,8 and 89,5. The weather was very ideal and the course is really flat. The swim was over 100m too long though. Run was about 20,5km so few hundred meters short there as well. Most of the participants I knew broke their records, including me.

I ended up with 35,5km/h average speed with 175W avg / 178W np on the bike course.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Turku (70.3) [Bumbabambuee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Then that still makes for a really fast time, even if you take into account the slightly short distances. I read that it rained which would not sound ideal for a fast ride, but I assume then that there were no difficult corners at all.

Congrats on the race, even with slightly short distances on 2 of the events you still need to actually go out there and improve your PR. It's still not a guarantee :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

The forecasted weather was terrible but the rain stopped just minutes before the swim started. The ground was a bit wet in the beginning of the bike course, but it wasn't that bad. Later on it started pouring again about 5.5 hours after the start, so it only affected part of the age groupers on run course.

It was like 18C warm and only very mild wind. It could have been slightly warmer and totally dry throughout the bike course, but I doubt it would have had any noticable effect on the times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was also there (and last year as well)
Bike course is flat and fast but you have to push all the time. Personally I like more hilly courses. This year we had much lighter winds than last year, so the conditions were great (I also did PB)
It is a very nice contest in the middle of Turku (except the bike). Highly recommended!
Here is link to my Strava file: https://www.strava.com/activities/1767749670/
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Turku (70.3) [Bumbabambuee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is great to see that we have such an International community here
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Turku (70.3) [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raced it last year. The bike is quick but as its on a closed highway most of the time not too scenic. Lähti is slower but prettier.
At lähti I was 12 min slower but 20watts higher.
Turku has a cool swim in the river Aura with old warships to look at.
Quote Reply