Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 80' wave.... [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy is right--it isn't the size but how it breaks, and more importantly what is beneath.

I would have no problem being towed into whatever at Cortes, because the landing is soft, as is the pounding--you might get held under by the size, but you aren't going to be pinned. And unless you tumble from the top...well never been there. And if you are comfortable in the water, you can survive being held under, unless you are pinned or KOA by hitting something. That being said...80'...FM.

Laird once did a wave at Tea' that was almost what Duffy posted---apparently he was jacked for days. There is zero margin for error there. Closed out at Cloudbreak/Tea' at 3-4' is more dangerous than double at most spots--when you are dropping in & all you see is reef the pucker factor is huge.

And Duffy is 10x a better surfer than I am. And I've never seen him surf.....but there is a huge difference between daily & available. I simply have had the privilege of (up until recently) a lifetime on the water or the means to access it, easily (tow) for the big stuff. B/C I was stupid & comfortable & paddled out in a CA El Nino when it was big & I was young/fit, isn't the same as dropping in anywhere where it takes real skill.

FWIW, my reference point for fear is on a boogie board at the Wedge going over the falls when it was big. 20+' to sand and no way out hurt way more than any pounding/scrape I've ever had surfing.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Last edited by: mopdahl: Aug 13, 18 20:42
Quote Reply
Re: 80' wave.... [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
80's wave quote for an 80' wave clip:

"When the wave breaks here, don't be there or you're gonna get drilled."

Hang ten pipeline,
let's go tripping
Hang ten pipeline,
let's go tripping
Hang ten pipeline,
let's go tripping
Every wave is new
until it breaks.

Lots of surfing references on that album from early 80s. Monty will know it. Also has a song about Duffy and Mopdahl, or Mopdahl and Duffy, called "Surfer Joe and Mo the Sleaze."

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: 80' wave.... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
tcotton wrote:
well Charlie don't surf and neither do I ... so I'm interested in why this wave is more impressive than the OP?

Nazare (wave in OP) is certainly a tall wave but height isn’t everything. It is (relatively) soft breaking (crumbling) and slow moving. Also, the angle from which the wave is viewed makes it look even taller.

The wave at Cloudbreak (one I posted) is a freight train, fast moving, heaving, barrelling breaking over shallow, sharp coral reef.

Don’t get me wrong, both are impressive. But if you want a shear, seat of your pants, on the razors edge of distaster/thrill of a lifetime it’s Cloudbreak, hands down.

Nazare is a lay person’s wave because it measures the tallest. It’s easy for a non-surfer to grasp. You’ll see stories about rides there on mainstream news outlets.

Guys that surf (and especially guys that surf waves of consequence) know that Cloudbreak is of more consequence. It’s simply a better wave. But someone who’s never surfed to any degree of competence could never really understand that because it’s “not as big” as Nazare.

I've surfed Cloudbreak at 5 to 6 ft and it is fucking heavy. It is also quite a big area which you don't perhaps realise when you're just watching vids online. So much water moving. So fast. Feels like you're sitting in the middle of the ocean too. You can see the coral at the bottom as you take off.
Quote Reply
Re: 80' wave.... [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

I've surfed Cloudbreak at 5 to 6 ft and it is fucking heavy. It is also quite a big area which you don't perhaps realise when you're just watching vids online. So much water moving. So fast. Feels like you're sitting in the middle of the ocean too. You can see the coral at the bottom as you take off.

Cloudbreak isn't always heavy. Most of the time it is clean, and a lot of glass.

Reef still sucks when you miss though.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Re: 80' wave.... [mopdahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I know it isn't always heavy, but this day it was. On this day, Restaurants was working as well.
Quote Reply
Re: 80' wave.... [mopdahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW, my reference point for fear is on a boogie board at the Wedge going over the falls when it was big. 20+' to sand and no way out hurt way more than any pounding/scrape I've ever had surfing. //

Pound for pound, I think the Wedge is the most dangerous place where anyone has caught a wave. When it jacks and everyone wants a piece of it on those 20'days, I have heard from the guards of up to 5 broken backs and necks in one day, ONE DAY!!!!

And old guard buddy of mine's brother was one of the early chargers there in the 60's and 70's, and he had some awesome super 8 home movies of them hitting it on its biggest. I think his name was Troy Atkinson, his brother was Eric who I used to do mucho Baja surf trips with in the 70's and 80's. The Wedge is just nuts, and for those who have never seen it just google it and you will get all kinds of hair raising vids. Nowadays they do paddle ins, stand ups, and whatever craft you can imagine. Old days was a pair of fins and your head, dropping 20+ feet into 1ft of water if you got pitched...

Quote Reply
Re: 80' wave.... [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Surfed it (The Wedge) for the first time and only time a couple years ago during a big south on a Costco Wavestorm.

Super fun. Probably close to four times overhead on the good wedge sets...

Was full body sore the next day :)

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: 80' wave.... [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

Pound for pound, I think the Wedge is the most dangerous place where anyone has caught a wave. When it jacks and everyone wants a piece of it on those 20'days, I have heard from the guards of up to 5 broken backs and necks in one day, ONE DAY!!!! .

I haven't watched current youtube vids, but last one I saw was 80+ people in the water, fighting for the one spot, on pretty much anything that floats, in big....and couldn't believe the WTF factor as to who was actually out there.

I was a recurrent guard for LA County, and remember one of you old-timers telling me during an El Nino (and this was at MB, not Newport "if they want to paddle out, let them. Job security."

Oh, and btw I owe you a beer...I name dropped you (and a couple of others from the '80s-90s) when I was about to get ticketed for dog off the leash @ Leo last year......still a legend.

Duffy on a Costco California Board Company foamy dropping in at the wedge....how do you stand up with 40lb brass balls?

Last edited by: mopdahl: Aug 14, 18 20:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m way more impressed by this....

Wow! So much water overhead at Cloudbreak!

This was from a few years back - massive Teahupoo slowed WAY down. The power and beauty of the wave is extraordinary - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7woVTuN8k3c

I remember seeing this video for the first time on a small surf video site the week it was released and was absolutely mesmerized by it . . and still am!

Just finished reading William Finnegan's outstanding "Barbarian Days - A Surfing Life" - he was one of the first to discover and surf the waves of Tavaura!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Surfed it (The Wedge) for the first time and only time a couple years ago during a big south on a Costco Wavestorm.

I spent a few summers in Southern California when I was a kid. I had an Aunt, Uncle and Cousins who lived first in Huntington Beach and then near Dana Point. I remember going to Newport Beach, and watching the action at the Wedge - we were too young to go out even for mid-sized Wedge, but to me as a 9 year-old, that looked like one nasty wave!

Quote Reply
Re: 80' wave.... [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was from a few years back - massive Teahupoo slowed WAY down. The power and beauty of the wave is extraordinary - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7woVTuN8k3c

Now that is pretty cool. I'm not a surfer but you are right in that the video is pretty mesmerizing.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: 80' wave.... [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not a surfer but you are right in that the video is pretty mesmerizing.

Neither am I, but because of family ties and a significant amount of time spent in So Cal, I'm plugged in a bit more to surfing and surf culture. That book a referenced in a previous post, by Will Finnigen really sums it all up.

Another surfing mind blower is the "perfect wave" at Skeleton Bay in Namibia:

This was the video that really put it on the map - https://www.youtube.com/...mp;ab_channel=EpicTV

More recently the longest Tube Ride ever recorded was at Skeleton Bay - inside here https://www.youtube.com/...;ab_channel=koasmith and drone view overhead here - https://www.youtube.com/..._channel=ChrisRogers

Of course Kelly Slater has blown all this up with his man-made wave at his Surf Ranch - https://www.youtube.com/..._channel=Vickievodka

Quote Reply
Re: 80' wave.... [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was at Nazare on Sunday past, touristing for the day. Not much going on at the moment.

Big wave time is October/November, when the place is heaving with people.

The little red bump in the picture is the lighthouse on top of the fort in the OP's video.

Quote Reply
Re: 80' wave.... [gahddenbooi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was at Nazare on Sunday past, touristing for the day. Not much going on at the moment.

Looks like a calm and placid day - anyone could go out on a SUP or in a kayak!

What a contrast to those winter swells!

Quote Reply

Prev Next