Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Boulder Travel & Planning
Quote | Reply
Hi Everybody-
I'm inquiring about how to get myself from Louisiana to CO for the 2019 race and how to best plan my time once there.

Would you recommend driving or flying? I do not have an altitude tent, nor am I going to use one (I'm MOP anyway).

I will be able to leave as early as Monday of race week.

What is the transition venue like? Are there places to stay that are close enough to the transition area so that I can walk or ride my bike on the morning of the race?

If I fly, I'd like to avoid the addition expense/hassle of renting a car. Or maybe renting a car is necessary for this particular race venue?

How about flying with my bike? I'm leaning toward driving if I am going to take my bike, but if I fly, then I'd consider renting a bike... what service or bike shop rents bikes and what is your experience with the rental?

I know there are some concierge services for bike transport to/from the race... how are those services? Are their prices reasonable? How is their policy/insurance if they damage your bike? Do they do a tune-up or a bike check before racking the bike to make sure that the derailleur didn't get bent in transit?

Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder Travel & Planning [original] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in Denver, so I'm glad to be corrected by someone that knows more than me. If you're set on not renting a car you can fly in to DIA and ride the Flatiron Flyer, which is a commuter bus that has a route from DIA to downtown Boulder. My guess is the total commute time would be around an hour with stops, but I've never ridden it. Flatiron Flyer website.

If you plan on renting a bike, you can't go wrong with Colorado Multisport in Boulder. The shop is fantastic and they have rentals available. Honestly, this shop is a must whether you bring your own bike or rent. Can't recommend those guys enough. Colorado Multisport rental website.

The swim is at the Reservoir, and I'm sure you can find a hotel somewhat close.

Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hotels are pricey. $143 for Hampton in literally across from the Rez where the race is held. You MAY be able to walk across & onto the Fire Station access road that AM as it is the ONLY time it is open (for the race). Otherwise, you can access via the gravel trail/road around the REZ just a few blocks away behind IBM.

1) You don't need an altitude tent, just start the swim easier than normal, as this is is the sport you'll notice is much harder. Bike/run is not as severe at this *low* altitude as swimming is. So give yourself a little time, before the race--to get in a few swims to learn how to judge your altitude effort.

2) If I were you & had a little time, overall, cost wise, I'd drive. Save on flight, save on expense of flying the bike (plus, you'll have your own machine that fits you). You won't need a car rental or need to worry about being on time for a flight returning home to to Boulder. Additionally, if you have an accident, you're wrecking your car not having to deal with the rental agency (I hope you don't--but I'm just say'n...it's possible). You will not have to pay for parking YOUR car at an off-airport location to hop on that flight either--if that is how you're set up in Louisiana for your nearest airport.

3) I'd check into vrbo, airbnb or other to find a place that may be cheaper overall than hotels & find a buddy to travel with, to split expenses. Get a Safeway or King Soopers grocery discount card [free at the stores] (or buy from Costco in Superior), if you do--it'll save a lot of $$ in the long run.

4) BIke shops--one of the coolest multisport places around is Colorado Multisport in the center of Boulder--great team, they've come a long way over the years under new management & tightened up their org to be way more professional of a set up. Excellent mechanics & one of them was even a Tour de France "Team Garmin" mechanic for a while. They are stacked with a large variety of products. There is also Excel Sports (large catalog online bike shop), or Perforrmance Bikes...all have a store front & in house mechanics. Vecchios is a bit pricey and limited for tri products, but is an option as well. There are others but these are the ones I'd pick first.

5) Do not look just at Boulder for staying...super close and minutes away to Boulder are Longmont, Louisville (like La Quinta and others)...all just over the hill. In fact, you will bike only a couple miles from south Longmont during the course. There are many hotels in south Longmont, just off the Diagonal/Hwy 119.

6) Transition, you will not be able to stay at transition with camper, tent or other. This is a city-county facility & they just don't allow that. Period. There are no campgrounds around the Rez either...

7) Make sure you check out the bike course and know it inside & out. Many got DQ's this year due to the confusing 3-way corner on the Diagonal where you enter, repeat loop and exit the bike course. It was a cluster for many, many people, even locals from what I understand/read.

8) Finally, it will be hot. It always is. No humidity, so an issue will be dehydration. You won't know you're dehydrating at all, you won't be feeling the sweat like in LA. The run has little, VERY little shade at all. It is mostly on concrete bike paths so prepare your body for lots of carnage from the pounding. It is a well run race, but you have to know these above things or it'll creep up & bite ya in the rear during the race. Good luck!
Last edited by: Rocky M: Aug 13, 18 16:22
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder Travel & Planning [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I drove over from MN for this years IM. It's nice simply because it eliminates having your bike flown out and anything potentially going wrong with it. It's always nice to be in control of that IMO. I didn't do a hotel but a Airbnb. That worked out really well as I would rather have a little extra space to spread out vs having everything in a hotel room. I was out there the Saturday before the race and bounced around a bit. For the first week I stayed close to the Rez, but then a couple days prior to the race moved to a different Airbnb (mainly because family flew out so we needed more room then a 1 bedroom). We stayed about 15 minutes SE of the Rez and it worked out well. I wanted to be a little bit away from all the craziness of the race but close enough that it's not a pain in the butt to drive. So that worked out really well.

As was suggested, Colorado Multisport was/is fantastic! I stopped there a couple of times during race week and even though they were extremely busy, they always took care of me.

I was worried about the thin air as well and I honestly can't tell you if being there 8 days early helped or not. I noticed my HR ran quite a bit higher, but it stayed high throughout my stay. Getting in the water is where I was most nervous, but there's a group swim at the Rez about every day leading up to race day so just get there early enough to hit one of those. I started out slow but then was able to build to my normal pace w/out any issues. You can get in the water as well prior to the race and warm up although not a lot of people actually took advantage of that on race day. I'm debating signing back up again next year just to see how I can do with what I hope would be more normal temps......that sucker was HOT last June!

Just to circle back to the drive....I left MN around mid/late afternoon and drove almost straight through. I stopped periodically at truck stops to sleep an hour here and there as I came through Nebraska and then arrived in Boulder the next day. I think it was about a 14 hour drive for me if I remember right. Not a lot of fun, but if you enjoy driving, I'd go that route.
Last edited by: sharkd: Aug 12, 18 15:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everybody. Great input!
Really appreciate your time spent sharing.
Quote Reply