Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Recently diagnosed with High Blood Pressure [Dr. Triax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Triax wrote:
So I went to see a Professor at the university, MD and PhD in sport physiology. He told me about the new definition of HBP and a bunch of very interesting medical and academic stuff, and he recommended to go on with the treatment as I had maybe not very HBP, but with no room for improvement on lifestyle (no overweight, very little salt on diet, no smoke nor drink, exercise daily, work on shifts on a well recognized stressful job, etc.), he was pretty sure I was a firm candidate to develop HBP without a doubt

Do you recall the gist of the "very interesting academic and medical stuff"?

Do any of the studies control for people with "no room for improvement in lifestyle"?

Was there any interest in discovering and treating the cause rather than the symptom? And if there is no "cause" then are they sure that your natural BP is "too high"?
Quote Reply
Re: Recently diagnosed with High Blood Pressure [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A "natural" blood pressure can absolutely be too high. The data is the data in aggregate. Feel free to not treat. Always room for more people in the hospital from neglected blood pressure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you do go on an anti-hypertensive drug for BP control, be cautious about post-exercise hypotension. I'm on losartan, a drug similar to valsartan, and after a run, my BP sometimes goes down to 100/60 or below.
Quote Reply
Re: Recently diagnosed with High Blood Pressure [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:
A "natural" blood pressure can absolutely be too high. The data is the data in aggregate.

Does that mean (as far as you know) no studies have been done that determine the efficacy of BP treatment for people who have no other risk factors or cause?

iamuwere wrote:
Feel free to not treat. Always room for more people in the hospital from neglected blood pressure.

Why the snark? Are people not entitled to evidence?
Quote Reply
Re: Recently diagnosed with High Blood Pressure [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, a large portion of patients patients don’t have an identifiable cause. The majority of hypertension is idiopathic. Most don’t have correctable factors.

Those that do have correctable factors don’t get treatment.

I’ve been hypertensive for 20+ years. I require medication. Knowing the consequences of non-treatment, I’m not taking the chance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Dr. Triax and All,

https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/...-pressure-monitoring

Omron says should finish FDA trails and be available sometime in 2018.

https://omronhealthcare.com/generation-zero/

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Recently diagnosed with High Blood Pressure [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Dr_Cupcake and All,

My FAA doctor had a standard procedure .... on arrival at his office you would be sent to a dark waiting room and lay on a bed for 30 to 40 minutes before beginning tests.

We called it the 'Bet Your Job' physical and we did it each 6 months (Captains) .... Copilots each year.

Occasionally a pilot would be grounded for high blood pressure ... but diet (weight loss) and exercise usually brought them back.

Those pilots claiming 'Loss of License' insurance benefits were sent to the Pritikin Institute until they lost enough weight eating carrot and celery sticks to bring down their blood pressure .... I don't think the insurance had to pay off many.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Recently diagnosed with High Blood Pressure [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nealhe wrote:

My FAA doctor had a standard procedure .... on arrival at his office you would be sent to a dark waiting room and lay on a bed for 30 to 40 minutes before beginning tests.

That sounds like a fantastic paid naptime to me ;)

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: Recently diagnosed with High Blood Pressure [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

No pay for you ..... Your are going to the Doctor after all ..... and like always .... you pay ....

Yes ... Fantastic is the word ...

When life is go go go ..... and you are put in a dark boring room .... after you get over the boredom ..... it is very relaxing.

Maybe naps (or at least a Faraday bag for our phone) should be mandatory ..... like in kindergarten ... and we would be healthier.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Recently diagnosed with High Blood Pressure [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:
No, a large portion of patients don’t have an identifiable cause. The majority of hypertension is idiopathic. Most don’t have correctable factors. Those that do have correctable factors don’t get treatment.

I don't understand that statement. Over 50% of the population is classified as hypertensive, and the majority of those are overweight, don't exercise, have crappy diets, or smoke (or all of the above). They may be encouraged to change their lifestyle, but few are actually doing it. They are taking medication (or not), and the efficacy of the BP treatment to reduce the incidence of other maladies later in life is based on this population. Yes, no?
Quote Reply

Prev Next