Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

PSA - Make sure you bike & trainer are properly setup
Quote | Reply
I climbed onto my trainer early Saturday morning in preparation for 3 hour ride. About 3 pedal strokes in I was all of sudden horizontal and falling to the right, crashing to the floor. Long story short, my frame is toast due to a cracked seat stay and area about the derailleur hanger. The quick release skewer was bent so bad I had to cut it off to remove it from the Kickr properly.

I have been racking my brain trying to figure out exactly how it happened, as I probably have a thousand hours on the trainer without incident. My only two guesses were that the rear dropouts weren't secured, or that my new low profile wheel block didn't do a good enough job of stabilizing the front wheel (doubtful). I had just come back from vacation and had ridden right before leaving, so there's no obvious reason why the dropouts would have been released. As for the front wheel block, who knows (I've gone back to a deeper one out of superstition).

Anyway I'm talking with Specialized now about a crash replacement frame, but just thought I'd share my experience in case it could save someone else's bike!

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: PSA - Make sure you bike & trainer are properly setup [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That really sucks. I had a friend did something very similar ended up with pins in his wrist.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA - Make sure you bike & trainer are properly setup [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you get on from the right side?

In my experience, the torque from getting on the bike moves the skewer in the dropout and causes this to happen.

It's also why I only use internal cam skewer on trainers.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would like to see pics of the aftermath once you can post them (assuming you are holding back to sort things out on the crash replacement).
Quote Reply
Re: PSA - Make sure you bike & trainer are properly setup [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:

Is that something you're supposed to do? I always mount my trainer bike from the non drive side.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA - Make sure you bike & trainer are properly setup [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
xtrpickels wrote:

Is that something you're supposed to do? I always mount my trainer bike from the non drive side.

Not necessarily, the OP just stated that he "fell to the right".

If he mounted from the non-drive side and fell to the right, my theory goes out the window.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why are you using a wheel block for your front tire w/ a Kickr?

Mine sits even so I never thought to use one.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA - Make sure you bike & trainer are properly setup [RBeck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always used one with my old trainer, so just kept the habit. Figured it added some stability

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once I didn’t tighten down my trainer....tumbled over and my ribs slammed against rails on an elliptical. Had to miss a race. But no broken ribs at least. Who said the indoor trainer is safe???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:
I always used one with my old trainer, so just kept the habit. Figured it added some stability

all it is doing if you are using the correctly sized rear rear pin spec for the position of the entire flywheel/axle assembly is you are elevating your front tire. the kickr is designed with multiple engagement points along the straight horizontal lower bar to allow you to choose the correct wheel size and then not be req'd to run a front wheel block.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pics or it didn't happen!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did this once years ago when I didn't have the bike locked down enough. A few minutes in and it popped out and I luckily got launched into a couch, would have landed on a hardwood floor if I had fallen in the other direction. I tacoed my rear wheel, took it to the LBS and the guy laughed his ass off when I told him how it happened.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:
I climbed onto my trainer early Saturday morning in preparation for 3 hour ride.
!

So the "3 hour ride" part really didn't add anything to the story, just a back door brag?
Quote Reply
Re: PSA - Make sure you bike & trainer are properly setup [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:
It's also why I only use internal cam skewer on trainers.

What is an Internal can skewer? For the last 10k miles on the trainer I’ve just used the same kind of skewer I use on my road bike. It might actually be a flo skewer now that I think about it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t need to worry about this, but about other things... I case it off the rollers frequently...
Quote Reply