Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Big Bellies Tied to Mental Decline
Quote | Reply
I know it sounds like a flabby hypothesis, but there's apparently some evidence tying plus-sized waistlines to mental decline once you hit your senior citizen years (age 60 or older, for purposes of this statistically significant study, which was conducted by Trinity College Dublin, in Ireland).

The US Centers for Disease Control estimated, a couple of years ago, that more than 40 percent of Americans are obese. Even Americans in their 20s are suffering from the obesity epidemic, with 36 percent of that age cohort hauling around far more weight than they should.

Americans age 60 and older have an obesity rate of about 41 percent. This study found that once you're in your sixties and carrying around too much belly fat, the worse your mental acuity became, including for memory as well as for judgment. Additionally, study participants were found to have had problems with clear thinking.

This from Conal Cunningham, associate professor of medical gerontology at Trinity (I love the school's library, BTW):

"While we have known for some time that obesity is associated with negative health consequences, our study adds to emerging evidence suggesting that obesity and where we deposit our excess weight could influence our brain health. This has significant public health implications."

Collectively, the issue is known as MCI or "Mild Cognitive Impairment," which is a condition separate from NCD or "Normal Cognitive Decline." The latter is oftentimes a consequence of becoming elderly. MCI is classed as an intermediate stage between NCD and dementia, which is a serious and irreversible mental decline. Experts estimate that by 2040, some 81 million people worldwide will be living with dementia.

Get the lead out? No. Get the weight off and stay away from those sugary drinks, for starters. NOW.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Big Bellies Tied to Mental Decline [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I watched a short video yesterday about people following a calorie restriction diet (calorie restriction with optimal nutrition). They refer to themselves as CRONIES.

There have been numerous studies showing that calorie restriction in mice and monkeys dramatically increases life expectancy but I don't think it's been shown in adults, it would be a difficult thing to actually test. However, the people I saw are very lean and when tested, they show the cardio-vascular health of someone far younger.

It makes sense to me since I don't think I've ever seen someone over 80 years old that is overweight, they just don't exist.
Quote Reply
Re: Big Bellies Tied to Mental Decline [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
I watched a short video yesterday about people following a calorie restriction diet (calorie restriction with optimal nutrition). They refer to themselves as CRONIES.

There have been numerous studies showing that calorie restriction in mice and monkeys dramatically increases life expectancy but I don't think it's been shown in adults, it would be a difficult thing to actually test. However, the people I saw are very lean and when tested, they show the cardio-vascular health of someone far younger.

It makes sense to me since I don't think I've ever seen someone over 80 years old that is overweight, they just don't exist.

I think some form of intermittent fasting (though not for more than 20 hours, and I can't see the efficacy in those 1 to 3-day fasts) and caloric restriction makes a little sense. Personally, I try to go at least 12 hours between my last meal and the next day's first meal, whenever it's possible to do so. No sugary drinks, including those so-called "energy drinks," either. I packed some pounds on when I retired from the triathlon stuff and when I was doing the political correspondent and deskbound-writer thing, for a time. It was HELL getting it back off at my age. But I did it and I'm extremely glad to have done so.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

Tell both my grandmothers that. They lived into their 90's and one smoked constantly.

I may be cursed to live way too long.
Quote Reply
Re: Big Bellies Tied to Mental Decline [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knewbike wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

Tell both my grandmothers that. They lived into their 90's and one smoked constantly.

My mom is 86 smokes and is healthy, it's all about genetics some get lucky most smokers don't, but as stated above, I have some relatives in homes and the one thing every single resident has in common weather mentally healthy or not, there is not one single overweight person, I believe once you hit a certain age being obese is more dangerous than smoking.
Last edited by: 50+: Aug 9, 18 5:46
Quote Reply
Re: Big Bellies Tied to Mental Decline [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knewbike wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

I seem to recall reading that as bad as smoking is for you, only about half of smokers die prematurely from a smoking related disease.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

I think that depends on where you live. I see them all the time. But I live on a lake and a high percentage of the people in the area are over 60. I know several that are over 80 and have a laaarge belly. I see them often in the public around here too. There is a huge demand for the handicapped parking spots and the motorized shopping carts.
Quote Reply
Re: Big Bellies Tied to Mental Decline [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was in Disneyland a number of years ago and saw a lot of people in wheelchairs. I asked a man at one of the places that rented the chairs if there was a special gathering of people with a certain disease and he said no, most of them are in wheelchairs because it's too hard for them to walk because of their weight.

I think that was a pretty good sign that things are a little out of balance.
Quote Reply
Re: Big Bellies Tied to Mental Decline [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

I think that depends on where you live. I see them all the time. But I live on a lake and a high percentage of the people in the area are over 60. I know several that are over 80 and have a laaarge belly. I see them often in the public around here too. There is a huge demand for the handicapped parking spots and the motorized shopping carts.

Dude, do you live in The Villages? C'mon, fess up. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
I was in Disneyland a number of years ago and saw a lot of people in wheelchairs. I asked a man at one of the places that rented the chairs if there was a special gathering of people with a certain disease and he said no, most of them are in wheelchairs because it's too hard for them to walk because of their weight.

I was sitting next to a woman at some function and she was talking about her and her husband selling their house to move into a one story home because they were almost 60 and going up and down the stairs was just too much for them.

Which is of course how you end up in a scooter when you're 70.
Quote Reply
Re: Big Bellies Tied to Mental Decline [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

I was sitting next to a woman at some function and she was talking about her and her husband selling their house to move into a one story home because they were almost 60 and going up and down the stairs was just too much for them.

Which is of course how you end up in a scooter when you're 70.

Unbelievable. But I see it constantly around here, especially when I hit the local Walmart supermarket. They have 20 of those electric carts with baskets on them and every one of them is out and being used, oftentimes by people who are nowhere near the age where such a cart might be called for (such as in your late-90s or so, right?).

Just the other day, I was near a women who looked to be in her mid-40s, at most. She was obese and using a cane to ambulate, a device she probably wouldn't need if she'd just drop the weight. Her cart was full of junk nutrition, including two of those 12 packs of Pepsi, sugary breakfast cereals, Hot Pockets, all the bells and whistles. Her daughter was pushing the cart and was beginning to approach "maximum density," to quote Bender from "The Breakfast Club."

We are in trouble in this country. Public health trouble. Adult onset diabetes at ever earlier ages. Heart disease, kidney maladies... you name it. SMDH.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not another thread trying to explain Trump...

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So THIS is the explanation for my in-laws...
Quote Reply
Re: Big Bellies Tied to Mental Decline [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
Not another thread trying to explain Trump...

This is when I usually drop out of a thread. When politics is dragged into it. ;-)

Quote Reply