Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: If you are depressed get off social media [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
edbikebabe wrote:

Aaannnddd - this is why I would never say anything to her people. Because they'd react just like you and I'd look like the "bad guy". The problem is she presents herself one way on social media - while she's a different person in real life. For the record - her real life self is awesome.

I don't want to debate - just saying that I agree that social media is not always good for one's mental health.

I don’t see you as a bad guy- you clearly care about your sister-but I am curious what would you say to them? Since I clearly am the person you think shouldn’t be saying nice things. When a friend is clearly down and posting inspirational quotes how does it hurt that I say something nice to them? What would be a better response?

Saying nothing would be a better response (in this case) obviously not all people/situations are the same.

Basically she uses social media to get external validation that she shouldn't need (ie - if she worked on her issues and had genuine self esteem she wouldn't be reliant on other people to tell her she's awesome, cause she'd already know). It just sets her up for these downward spirals where she looks externally instead of just solving her problems, but she never actually gets "happy". All the external validation does is drive her to seek it more often - for the temporary high.
Quote Reply
Re: If you are depressed get off social media [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
Perhaps I don't understand or I'm missing something, but I don't get partners posting about their husband/wives on social media especially re anniversaries, birthdays etc gushing how much they love them.. maybe I'm just not romantic enough, but when you're posting that stuff up whilst your partner is in the other room seems odd.

Even worse one of my brothers and his wife used Facebook like they were emailing or texting back and forth to one another. I had to hide them so I didn’t see it anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: If you are depressed get off social media [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not gonna lie, this is me lately. I have been going through a tough family situation for the last few months and when I get on FB it puts me down further. I continually see happy, vacationing families having the times of their lives and looking tanned and care free. It's childish to compare that to my current situation but honestly it does make me little sad.

The worst posts are the family that takes about 6 vacations a summer to exotic places and takes 20 pictures everyday. Then each time a person comments how beautiful the family is and how much they love them, the mom of said family post back "thanks" so it shows up on the top of my feed each time she comments. So I get the same pictures of them about fifty thousand times at the top of my feed.

I do like the family and they are great people, but seeing others living a great life while you are going through the valley of sorrow is not always easy.
Quote Reply
Re: If you are depressed get off social media [ACE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ACE wrote:
Not gonna lie, this is me lately. I have been going through a tough family situation for the last few months and when I get on FB it puts me down further. I continually see happy, vacationing families having the times of their lives and looking tanned and care free. It's childish to compare that to my current situation but honestly it does make me little sad.

The worst posts are the family that takes about 6 vacations a summer to exotic places and takes 20 pictures everyday. Then each time a person comments how beautiful the family is and how much they love them, the mom of said family post back "thanks" so it shows up on the top of my feed each time she comments. So I get the same pictures of them about fifty thousand times at the top of my feed.

I do like the family and they are great people, but seeing others living a great life while you are going through the valley of sorrow is not always easy.

Unfollow them. They are still your "friend" and you can go look at their posts whenever you want, but it won't show up in your newsfeed. Instagram has this now too, theirs is called "mute".

Sorry things are tough right now.
Quote Reply
Re: If you are depressed get off social media [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
edbikebabe wrote:
ACE wrote:

Unfollow them. They are still your "friend" and you can go look at their posts whenever you want, but it won't show up in your newsfeed. Instagram has this now too, theirs is called "mute".

Sorry things are tough right now.

Or another option,...if visiting Facebook makes you depressed, just don't visit Facebook.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: If you are depressed get off social media [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It doesn’t depress so much as it makes me think that all my friends are idiots.

I don’t visit much these days. Deleted the app from my phone.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: If you are depressed get off social media [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:
zedzded wrote:
Perhaps I don't understand or I'm missing something, but I don't get partners posting about their husband/wives on social media especially re anniversaries, birthdays etc gushing how much they love them.. maybe I'm just not romantic enough, but when you're posting that stuff up whilst your partner is in the other room seems odd.

I know a perfect example of such a couple. She seems to measure her worth by posting about all the racing and training she does. He 'likes' it. She says something like "Concert x was amazing" and he might respond like "Yeah I agree it was awesome". They are probably sitting on the couch watching tv with phones in their hands.

There should be a ban on posting about your spouse. FFS just turn around and tell them!

Ha ha I know.
Quote Reply
Re: If you are depressed get off social media [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
I saw an article or paper on this awhile back. People tend to over-represent the positives in their lives on social media. They post the most flattering photos, talk about the most positive life events, post about their great meals or travels or whatever, etc. They don't post about how their acne is flaring up, or they lost a sock in the dryer, or any of the other stuff that makes for real life. So people who spend too much time on Facebook (for example) get a warped view of how everyone else is living, which can make them feel disconnected and like their life is different and worse for some reason, which can lead to or exacerbate symptoms of depression.

I lost a sock in the dryer. After a few more loads and not finding its mate, I threw it away. A week later, I found the lost one between the washer and dryer. I blame the liberals.

You know what else? It’s messed up that I’m old enough to be bald and have a fair amount of white beard, but I still get zits. I blame white people.

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ACE wrote:

i'm more reluctant now to post vacation or any "look at my amazing life" pics. With FB especially it seems people are over the novelty. Seeing the same faces in the same situations every year is like "oh yeah, you again." It's fun to see the kids grow up though.

Tip -- you remove yourself from a post's updates by clicking on the three black buttons upper right and "unfollow this post". It's a lifesaver when the whole world piles on.

One last thing, I've got a friend who constantly posts on her husband as the hero of her life. She's one of the most positive people I know, and think she manages it by constantly affirming her blessings. Like self-hypnosis.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ACE wrote:

I keep thinking facebook is a criminals fantasy. Knowing when people are gone and if they have pets.
Quote Reply
Re: If you are depressed get off social media [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It sucks when things gang up on you all at once. I hope it gets better for you.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: If you are depressed get off social media [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should go gush to my wife right now how glad I am she's not (nor ever has been) a FBer ~ except since neither of us does FB I don't have anywhere else but here in the LR to shout it from the mountaintops...
Quote Reply
Re: If you are depressed get off social media [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...Although the other day I was visiting an old friend whilst he was house/pet-sitting for some neighbors I don't know, and I happened to see on the fridge they have completely pasted all over with weeks(?) worth of little post-it notes they've apparently left for each other how much they love the other and/or "You Go, Girl!"-type posts how much they're "crushing it" at work/life/etc.

Gotta say it seemed real shallow & weird, but I guess if it works for them...? Although, my buddy told me it was marriage #2 for each of them, so that sorta made them seem more needy to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sucks when things gang up on you all at once. I hope it gets better for you.

Thank you. This has really been a hard one-two punch! Just taking it one day at a time! Staying centered. Enjoying the small things each day.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw a social media post (ironic, I know) that summed up the platforms pretty well:

Facebook: "Look at how awesome my life's highlights are!"
Instagram: "Look at my kids/food/pets!"
Twitter: "WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!"

Of them all, Twitter is the absolute worst.

War is god
Quote Reply

Prev Next