Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What does securing a rolldown spot at nationals actually get me?
Quote | Reply
Competing in Cleveland this weekend and I'm not sure exactly what I'm competing for.

I understand that the top 18 from each age group are invited to join Team USA with those invites rolling down to 25th if there aren't the people present to claim all 18 spots.

Considering Team USA only ships 2 from each age group to worlds, what does securing one of these rolldown spots get me? Is it just a chance to wear Team USA kit or does that honor only go to those 2 worlds participants?

Side question: How do people that qualify for All-American status fit into all of this? What does an All-American get once one secures that title?

Thank you for all the help. I'm obviously under informed and overly confused.
Quote Reply
Re: What does securing a rolldown spot at nationals actually get me? [BuildingSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only two? US can send up to 18 for age group. All you’re securing is the right to pay for entry and to go to worlds. No one that is an age grouper is getting their entry paid for as far as I know.

Where did you come up with the 2 thing?
Quote Reply
Re: What does securing a rolldown spot at nationals actually get me? [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no idea... I had thought only the 2 fastest out of the pool of 18 who accepted the invitation actually got the invite to worlds. If that is not the case, then I can see where some of my confusion comes form.
Quote Reply
Re: What does securing a rolldown spot at nationals actually get me? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: What does securing a rolldown spot at nationals actually get me? [BuildingSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2018 USA Triathlon Olympic Distance National Championship
August 11, 2018
Cleveland, Ohio
Qualification: Top 18 in each aged up age group rolling down to 25th place after applying the age-up rule. Athletes must be present at the awards ceremony to accept their slot. Failure to accept your slot at the ceremony will result in a forfeiture of your slot.
Rankings: Any athlete who finished in the aged up age group top twenty in their age group in the USAT year end (12/31/2018) rankings will be considered for slots on the team starting with the highest ranked athlete having first option to accept followed by 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc., (through 20th) until we have we reach the first two athletes that accept the slot or until we reach spot 20.

That’s from the USAT website. Maybe you’re combining the two qualifications. They take two from the top 20 annual rankings to make it 20 people. But all 20 can go if they want.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BuildingSpeed wrote:
I have no idea... I had thought only the 2 fastest out of the pool of 18 who accepted the invitation actually got the invite to worlds. If that is not the case, then I can see where some of my confusion comes form.

I think you are confusing two things

One is the fastest 18 at nationals.

The other is the rank of All American which comes from the points accumulated at your best 3 races

USA sends 18 to worlds. It rolls down to fastest 25 at nationals. IF there are still not 18 then the top 2 in rankings All American can go

Make sense ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You won't secure a "rolldown" at Nationals.. that will come after if people don't take their slots. If you finish around 20th or better, go to the awards ceremony and see if you qualified or not... with people aging in and out of categories it can be hard to tell if you made it or not if you're on the edge, say 18th. You then wait for your AG podium and go to a room together to say yes you'd like to accept your slot. That is if you're interested in racing for TeamUSA.

All-Americans get a patch and a certificate... plus a link to the USAT store to buy stuff that says All-American on it... or that's my experience. Not sure about if/when they get offered a slot.
Quote Reply
Re: What does securing a rolldown spot at nationals actually get me? [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Then there's the sprint which takes the Top 8 in each age group at Cleveland. Then next 10 slots are made available at Sarasota in October. Then USAT starts the roll down.

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Re: What does securing a rolldown spot at nationals actually get me? [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for all the thoughtful responses; you guys have made it much more clear to me!
Last edited by: BuildingSpeed: Aug 8, 18 10:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was trying to be funny--I apologize if it came off as snarky. I'll be there as well, hoping to be somewhere in the middle, and will be proud of the medal and T-shirt. I'd buy you a beer if I knew it wasn't going to be an absolute madhouse of people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can afford Worlds, it’s an awesome and really fun experience. It’s damn fast racing, especially with it being in Europe a lot of those counties will have a ton of people there. Some people on here will have a tendency to talk down on Worlds for whatever reason, but it has always been a great experience and met bunch of people who have been my friends since from the US and other countries, particularly Australia. It was worth every penny.
Quote Reply
Re: What does securing a rolldown spot at nationals actually get me? [Per] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No worries my man. It happens. Thank's for clearing it up! Good luck and race faaaaaasssstt!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You too! I sincerely hope you get your spot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Follow up question to everything else - am I reading correct that they give awards to the top ten in each age group?

Quote | Reply
Good luck in Cleveland!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So...how did it go?
Quote Reply
Re: What does securing a rolldown spot at nationals actually get me? [Per] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just back from vacation post race... I did not make the cut but got very close. Maybe another year! How about yourself?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doh..that's a bummer. For me it was a surprise 26th, 24 with age-ups. but...basically the same result!

I definitely benefited from the swim.
Last edited by: Per: Aug 20, 18 11:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my experience you'll get an invitiation. Congrats on exceeding your expectations!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This whole age up thing stinks. 2 or so aged out and seven aged in---left me from maybe in to out. Sad when I saw that sheet.
Quote Reply