Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

So who is using the Affordable Care Act
Quote | Reply
I was under the impression anyone who's employer does not provide H.C. is using the Affordable Care Act? So I guess if your coming to work here on a green card you better make sure your employer offers insurance?

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/trump-administration-may-seek-to-limit-citizenship-for-legal-immigrants-2018-08-07

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: So who is using the Affordable Care Act [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me, yeah and it is not like I have a choice. Both states where my employers didn't offer insurance you can only buy on the exchanges.
Not like I haven't dumped 350k plus in various.taxes to the US government since I have been here.
Definitely feeling not welcome here.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
I was under the impression anyone who's employer does not provide H.C. is using the Affordable Care Act? So I guess if your coming to work here on a green card you better make sure your employer offers insurance?

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/trump-administration-may-seek-to-limit-citizenship-for-legal-immigrants-2018-08-07

I have not read the proposed legislation, but I'm guessing what the general news sources are not stating is if you are receiving a subsidy in the public exchange. You can use the public marketplace and not qualify for a subsidy.
Quote Reply
Re: So who is using the Affordable Care Act [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
DavHamm wrote:

I have not read the proposed legislation, but I'm guessing what the general news sources are not stating is if you are receiving a subsidy in the public exchange. You can use the public marketplace and not qualify for a subsidy.

This is all I could find.

Quote:
Details of the rulemaking proposal are still being finalized, but based on a recent draft seen last week and described to NBC News, immigrants living legally in the U.S. who have ever used or whose household members have ever used Obamacare, children's health insurance, food stamps and other benefits could be hindered from obtaining legal status in the U.S.

But I ran the numbers (I have employer provided so doesn't impact me) but I make about $100k a year with wife and 3 kids, I would have qualified for a subsidy. So even using a subdsidy as the bar, your still going to catch most engineers who are here with there family.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not entirely sure I see the connection between your subject line and the substance of your post, but, I'll address the subject of your post.

I won't say this proposal from the Trump Administration is the dumbest thing I have ever heard (not by a long shot), but, it certainly deserves one of my famous "asinine" designations. It makes no sense. If an immigrant is here legally, working legally, he/she is paying taxes and is entitled to certain programs. Legally participating in one of those programs should not disqualify the individual from citizenship. We should be making the path to legal citizenship easier, not punishing law abiding immigrants. The Admin claims it is "protecting the taxpayer." Huh? Aren't these folks "taxpayers?"

Now, that said, before we go off the deep end, recognize this was an idea Trump floated over 6 months ago and got no traction. So, it is unlikely to come to fruition now.

Here (note the date): https://www.reuters.com/...nefits-idUSKBN1FS2ZK

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: So who is using the Affordable Care Act [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

That is a very poorly worded article, you don't "use the ACA or Obamacare". As we know the ACA was a far reaching law that affected all facets of health insurance, so the vernacular in the article is very poor. What they should have said was take the premium subsidy through the ACA. There are a ton of people who don't have employer provided health care that also do not qualify for a subsidy. I am one. My wife and I make okay money but we are by no means rich, we are way off from qualifying for a subsidy. Maybe if she pushed out 3-4 kids we could get some o dat gubmint money.

Sounds like a stupid idea to me. I am on board with curbing illegal immigration and not spending so much money on illegal criminals. But I don't have a problem with the people going through the legal channels. I don't see a great reason to make it harder for them.
Quote Reply
Re: So who is using the Affordable Care Act [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
it certainly deserves one of my famous "asinine" designations. It makes no sense. If an immigrant is here legally, working legally, he/she is paying taxes and is entitled to certain programs. Legally participating in one of those programs should not disqualify the individual from citizenship.

But is it as asinine as his other proposals of re-vetting all green card holders/PRs and exiling them?
I know quite a few green card holders - licensed Architects and Professional Engineers - that would have to be vetted. Lots have brown skin (Indians and Singaporean-Scots), they might have problems even though almost all are married to Americans...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I was under the impression anyone who's employer does not provide H.C. is using the Affordable Care Act?

Every single person uses the ACA ;) . It modified all plans.

But to answer your question, I haven't. But 6 years ago, I used the precursor - MassHealth. Got free health care when I was unemployed for 9 months. MassHealth was more or less done away with when the exchange came to Mass. The exchange is inferior.
Last edited by: scorpio516: Aug 8, 18 8:43
Quote Reply
Re: So who is using the Affordable Care Act [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scorpio516 wrote:
JSA wrote:
it certainly deserves one of my famous "asinine" designations. It makes no sense. If an immigrant is here legally, working legally, he/she is paying taxes and is entitled to certain programs. Legally participating in one of those programs should not disqualify the individual from citizenship.

But is it as asinine as his other proposals of re-vetting all green card holders/PRs and exiling them?
I know quite a few green card holders - licensed Architects and Professional Engineers - that would have to be vetted. Lots have brown skin (Indians and Singaporean-Scots), they might have problems even though almost all are married to Americans...

No, it is not, which is why I said it wasn't the stupidest thing I have heard from this Administration ... ;-)

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: So who is using the Affordable Care Act [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>Every single person uses the ACA ;) . It modified all plans.
>>

By George, you seem to understand the ACA in more depth than many, sir.

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply