Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Polar Foot Pod...does it work in the rain?
Quote | Reply
My long run is Sunday, and it is supposed to rain Sunday. Does it work in the rain or does it get fried?
Quote Reply
Re: Polar Foot Pod...does it work in the rain? [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used mine in the rain. Didn't have any issues with it (other than the usual accuracy stuff.)
Quote Reply
Re: Polar Foot Pod...does it work in the rain? [Norm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do I correctly calibrate it? I just got it and it seems to be about 3-5% off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a calibration procedure - either check out the manual or just fiddle with it (it's fairly intuitive). You'll need access to a track, or some other measured distance (~400m). Then set it to calibrate, start, run the specified distance, stop, and you're golden.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
How do I correctly calibrate it? I just got it and it seems to be about 3-5% off

I'm the wrong person to ask that. I was never able to get mine calibrated successfully. The best I was able to do was to get it so that it was dead on at about a 7:30 pace (my avg training pace), but if I ran faster it thought I was significantly faster (e.g.: at a 6:30 pace, it thought I did ~6s), and vice versa at slower paces.

But, the theory behind calibrating it is to do a run a set distance, and then correct the value that it thinks you ran. You can also manually modify the factor that it uses to correct itself. I don't remember the details offhand, but they're in the manual.

(for what it's worth, I assume that the issues that I had with calibration were due to changes in my stride as I ran faster or slower.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that is the trick i did with mine. Used the track initially, then manually corrected it over time with other runs. Mine seems more accurate the longer the run. Got it down to about .5% to 1%.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine works fine in the rain. I also have the same issues as Norm though. It works perfectly at the speed you calibrate it at. On my faster, interval days, it read too fast and on my long run, slow days, it reads too slow. After a while though, you start to know what speed you are going based on the accurate reading.

Quote | Reply
Mine has gone in the water and its perfectly fine, i wont forsee any problems with rain. I followed the calibration procedure in the manual and 400m and it seems to be around 1-2% off most of the time, which for training purposes is fine. You also have to take into account that the unit has some weird rounding for the final distance so i.e if you run 3.46mi it will show 3.4 when you retrieve the info. Polar claims calibrated is 99% accurate so i guess 1-2% will be acceptable.

Peace

Team Aquaphor 06-08
Last edited by: ivansie: Dec 30, 05 10:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It works fine in rain and snow. Calibration - check Yahoo's Polar 625x group - http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/S625x/
lots of discussion about calibration. FWIW - mine was off but it also self adjusts over time as it figures out your stride and I would suggest going a longer distance than reccommended.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine works in Seattle and I am currently running ~40-45 miles a week (it is almost always raining and dark with puddles).

I would suggest calibrating it on 800 meters minimum.

John Teeters
866-508-4676
john@triumph-multisport.com
http://www.triumph-multisport.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To answer the first question, yes it works just fine in the rain. It's not only fairly water-proof (I've had times where I had to pour water out of the shoes, but the foot pod still worked just fine and stayed sealed from the water).

Regarding the calibration.. I've found that you have to run a bit further to get a correct calibration. I did 2000m and have next to no error... Ran a half-marathon and a 10K and my Polar S625X was in perfect sync with the milage markers at both events. If you feel as your calibration is a bit off, then go back to the track and run a bit further during the calibration.

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply