Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Orbea M20iTeam i9 or BMC TM01 Three
Quote | Reply
Got the new bike purchase narrowed down to this. Both run the same Di2. Orbea requires an upgrade from vision brake levers to Ultegra to get shifting on the brake lever. 2019 TM01 so no fork concerns. Not really concerned about UCI legal. Both bikes fit. Don't care about the wheels, will sell on arrival.

What would you buy and why?
Quote Reply
Re: Orbea M20iTeam i9 or BMC TM01 Three [cmd111183] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One bike is more expensive and more integrated. The other is cheaper and accepts more standard components. It all depends on what you are looking for.

Note on BMC TM01, the V cockpit comes default. if your fit requires a flat bar, you will need to special order it. My LBS quoted me $1,000 additional plus labor if I asked for the flat bar (I don't have the BMC, was just asking).
Quote Reply
Re: Orbea M20iTeam i9 or BMC TM01 Three [bloodyshogun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bloodyshogun wrote:
One bike is more expensive and more integrated. The other is cheaper and accepts more standard components. It all depends on what you are looking for.

Note on BMC TM01, the V cockpit comes default. if your fit requires a flat bar, you will need to special order it. My LBS quoted me $1,000 additional plus labor if I asked for the flat bar (I don't have the BMC, was just asking).

I thought part of the fun of that v cockpit was adjust-ability. At least that's how it's billed. Sounds like you're saying there wasn't much movement. Maybe I should say bike is adjustable since seat has a lot of movement fore/aft.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wanted to buy the bike when it came out, but it didn't go low enough for my desired fit utilizing the V bar. The manual on BMC's website has an example for their size M-S bike https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/...sembly_Manual_EN.pdf

I also think that adjusting the V cockpit might be slightly more tedious. The risers extend diagonally. As a result, when you raise the pad, you'll also extend pad / extension reach. Which means, if you are raising the bar, you'll likely have to move the pads and extensions back. This seems less straightforward to me. This might or might not bother you.
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Aug 3, 18 14:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bloodyshogun wrote:
I wanted to buy the bike when it came out, but it didn't go low enough for my desired fit utilizing the V bar. The manual on BMC's website has an example for their size M-S bike https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/...sembly_Manual_EN.pdf

I also think that adjusting the V cockpit might be slightly more tedious. The risers extend diagonally. As a result, when you raise the pad, you'll also extend pad / extension reach. Which means, if you are raising the bar, you'll likely have to move the pads and extensions back. This seems less straightforward to me. This might or might not bother you.

Good to know. So bring an extra 6-pack as tip for my fitter...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What kind of movement is there for adjusting the arm pads out, if any at all? So increasing the spacing between arm pads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Horizontally, the pad can move in and out around 80mm in 10 mm increments. Vertically, the pad can move up and down 70mm in 5mm increments.

Range is good, just not that Y and X are not independent, Min X in lowest stack is 80mm shorter than min X in the tallest configuration.

Disclaimer again, I didn't end up buying the bike (mostly due to cost of the flat bar), but did a lot of research when I was looking. I ended up buying an Orbea Ordu during end of year stock clearance, and upgraded to DI2 for under $4k.

A note on the Ordu, the draft box attachment mechanism is very annoying, I had to buy an extra long ball end hex tool just for attaching it.
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Aug 3, 18 14:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been looking at that Orbea...

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Orbea M20iTeam i9 or BMC TM01 Three [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s slick. Bothers me that I have a $300 upgrade right out of the gate to replace the brake levers. Love some of the stock components though. I’m torn.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Orbea Ordu. I own one. I have raced it the last two years, and I would not hesitate to buy another one. If you'd need to upgrade the Di2 and sell the wheels on the Ordu you're looking at, would it be more beneficial to just buy the frameset and build it up with the aero bars and electronic shifting you want?
Quote Reply
Re: Orbea M20iTeam i9 or BMC TM01 Three [geauxTT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’d buy the Di2 model. Problem is their Di2 cockpit uses Vision brake levers which don’t have shifters on them like the Ultegra brakes do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also the wheels on the M20i9 Team are stock where as the BMC are mavic carbon. So resale value on wheels levels the price of the bikes out.

Here’s what we’re comparing:

https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/...imemachine-01-three/

https://www.orbea.com/...les/ordu-m20-team-19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently got an orbea ordu, and I'm really happy with it. I like the flexibility that comes with standard/non-integrated bars and brakes. But, be aware that if you spring for the custom color (orbea won't charge you any extra for that), the lead times are quite long. I was promised to get mine withing 4 to 6 weeks, but it took close to 4 months.
Quote Reply
Re: Orbea M20iTeam i9 or BMC TM01 Three [minimalist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Daaaaaaaamn. That’s almost a deal breaker right there for me. That’s brutal.
Quote Reply
Re: Orbea M20iTeam i9 or BMC TM01 Three [minimalist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
minimalist wrote:
I recently got an orbea ordu, and I'm really happy with it. I like the flexibility that comes with standard/non-integrated bars and brakes. But, be aware that if you spring for the custom color (orbea won't charge you any extra for that), the lead times are quite long. I was promised to get mine withing 4 to 6 weeks, but it took close to 4 months.

Well I'm not riding anytime soon...so I'll be able to get a bike fit at the end of August and then make that decision...anyone know of places that make vinyl for bikes in Phoenix if I go with something else?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply