Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Boston Slowtwitchers! Food & Beverage Recommendations
Quote | Reply
Taking a business trip in September and won't have a lot of free time but a few opportunities to take in the food scene etc. I will be staying in the Boston Commons area.

Best Seafood Joint =
Best Burger Joint =
Best Patio =
*Not looking for the ritzy style place

Please feel free to mention anything else someone should check out quick :)
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Slowtwitchers! Food & Beverage Recommendations [thunderdouble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve been lucky enough to race the marathon there for the last few years. I make a habit of visiting Tenoch Mexican and mikes pastry in the north end. Tenoch is consistently the best sandwich EVER and there is nothing bad at Mikes. My opinion is likely skewed by the fact that I’m always eating there post-race, which makes all food better.

Neither place meets anyone’s definition of healthy , macro, whatever , but they’re authentic.

Brian
“Eat and Drink, spin the legs and you’re going to effin push (today).” A Howe
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Slowtwitchers! Food & Beverage Recommendations [thunderdouble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Best Burger Joint = jm Curley

Also, walk over to the North End and eat pretty much anywhere.

--Chris
Last edited by: chriselam: Aug 1, 18 20:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
(1) don’t eat Mexican in Boston
(2) I hate seafood but those that like it still
Rave about legal seafood despite its touristy status
(3) patio—joes American on the water; it’s a chain restaurant but great location
-eat Italian in north end, skip dessert at restaurant and go to mikes pastry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thunderdouble wrote:
Taking a business trip in September and won't have a lot of free time but a few opportunities to take in the food scene etc. I will be staying in the Boston Commons area.

Best Seafood Joint =
Best Burger Joint =
Best Patio =
*Not looking for the ritzy style place

Please feel free to mention anything else someone should check out quick :)

The best seafood joints aren't anywhere near Boston. But within city limits I'd say Legal Harborside (for sushi/general high-end seafood), Yankee Lobster (fast food) and Island Creek (oysters).

Best burger joint is RF O'Sullivan's on the Somerville/Cambridge line. Not very close to where you're staying but the best is the best.

Best patio: IMHO Legal Harborside/Temazcal (next door to each other in the Seaport District). There are a lot of great patios and roof decks in Boston so it's hard to go too wrong.

If you do end up in the Seaport, Harpoon Brewery is worth the time if you like beer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carmelina's in the North End for Italian
Legal Seafoods remains consistently good despite the hype, but I think Neptune Oyster (also in the North End) is better
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best seafood IMO is out in the burbs at Turners in Melrose. Pretty much anywhere in the North End is good for dinner (my favorites are LoConte's and Euno) - skip the line at Mikes and go to either Bova or the Modern for dessert.

I'll throw a few other options out there - take the Red Line to Davis Sq. and hit Redbones for some awesome BBQ. Good Irish pubs are either Mr. Dooley's, the Black Rose or JJ Foley's downtown, or Doyle's out in JP.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thunderdouble wrote:

Best Seafood Joint = Avoid Union Oyster House like the plague. Atlantic Fish Company is pretty good, and also right at the Boston Marathon finish line, which is there all year, for a good photo op.
Best Burger Joint = Depending when in the week you're there, either the Gallows in the South End, or head to the Bristol Lounge in the Four Seasons for Burgers and Burgundy on Wednesday. That is the best burger I've ever had in my life.
Best Patio = Rock Bottom Brewery in the theater district. It's excellent for people watching.

Other than that, definitely head up to the North End and walk the Freedom Trail and see important revolutionary war venues such as the Old North Church and Paul Revere's house, and then go to Mike's Pastry and stuff your guts with the best cannoli ever.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seafood = Island Creek Oyster bar or Row34, reserve ahead. For just a lobster roll go to James Hook; check out their tanks to see some of the biggest lobsters ever.

Burger = Delux kind of divey, but all the food is fantastic; cash only but they have an ATM with only a $1 fee. Very unique décor as well...

Patio = depends on what you're looking for, but for just beer, Trillium beer garden is insanely popular and the beer is tasty and we'll reviewed.

Other: since you'll be in the commons, the best coffee is probably George Howell, might want to grab a bag of beans to bring back; the guy is pretty famous in the coffee world.

Modern pastry over Mike's. The Smoke Shop has better BBQ than Redbones, it's still menu order BBQ (blasphemy) but in my experience the brisket is much better and closest I've found to what grew up on in Texas.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Slowtwitchers! Food & Beverage Recommendations [stumpyx13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Co-signing Island Creek. You can't go wrong here. If you like a late lunch on the weekend when the Red Sox aren't in town you can usually walk right in - more limited menu, but a tray of oysters and a bottle of wine to share goes a long way.

Patio - anything out by the Seaport is worthwhile.

Mike's versus Modern is just asking for trouble.

Bodega up by TD Garden is also excellent.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oddly enough, despite working downtown I haven't gotten out to eat much (I tend to go to Roche Bros or Whole Foods to grab something). But one place I do go to, and which has a couple of locations, is Falafel King. I get the falafel, which I find to be excellent, so I can't speak to the other items on the menu. For a genuine gyro, Zo is a good option. I'll have to 2nd carmelina's for italian, definitely need a reservation for that spot though, but it's definitely good, and I tend not to gravitate toward Italian food.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not a big seafood eater, but when my parents visit they always go to Bell Isle Seafood in Winthrop for the Lobster Pie. Not near the Common, but very close to Logan if you are renting a car.

I really like The Paramount on Charles street, and Tatte Bakery down the street a bit is pretty good for coffee and pastries.

For BBQ I like Blue Ribbon personally, but it's out by me in Arlington.

Modern over Mike's.
Last edited by: JDinMA: Aug 2, 18 6:49
Quote Reply