Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Positive Test from WTS Bermuda
Quote | Reply
Mexican ITU athlete David Mendoza has just been announced for a 3 year and 6 month ban. His test after the WTS Bermuda race was found to be positive for GW501516, which is classed as a Hormone and Metabolic Modulator, and is a non-specified substance (use is prohibited at all times). He did not request analysis of his B sample and accepted the positive test. He did state that he did not knowingly injest the substance and suggested that it may have been contamination of a B Vitamin supplement he ingested the night prior to the race. The ITU recommended (and WADA accepted) 6 months reduction to his ban, however it would not be reduced any more than that, because he could not provide sufficient evidence as to confirm that ingestion was accidental and to confirm that it was from a contaminated supplement. His Ban runs through Nov 28, 2021... He had finished 33rd I believe in the race (although is now listed as DSQ).

https://www.triathlon.org/...tion_for_three_years
Last edited by: Trauma: Jul 31, 18 10:43
Quote Reply
Re: Positive Test from WTS Bermuda [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love it..... I accept the ban and won’t fight it but it really wasn’t on purpose it must have been supplement contamination.

If I’m innocent, and this is my career I’m gonna fight like hell before I take a 3+ year ban.
Quote Reply
Re: Positive Test from WTS Bermuda [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope he has another career.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GW501516 also causes cancer of multiple organs so if that was in his supps then maybe he should go after them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the reduction is uncalled for. No basis for the claim, but a claim is good enough?
Quote Reply
Re: Positive Test from WTS Bermuda [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't disagree with this statement at all, but I would suspect the reduction was partially because he fessed up immediately (even if said admission was qualified by said lame excuse), and didn't bother turning it into an expensive, long and drawn out process as many others do.

Given that at best he was 4th or 5th on the Mexican depth chart in terms of getting race starts at that level, I suspect that this will likely spell the end of his career... Because of the 3.5 year lay-off, and likely being too radioactive for many sponsors to touch, his prospects of a return are pretty bleak.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you're right. It's worth a lot to the authorities for the athlete to, essentially, plea guilty. He did it and saved them a lot of time, money, and controversy. 6 months was a fair price for that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's gotta be the B-Vitamins...it has too...lol. If it was from a reputable source, that stuff is tested in almost every batch at least the stateside stuff.

What he got a reduction for was pleading guilt, not because he thinks it was contaminated.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mexican ITU athlete David Mendoza

He's a foreign athlete so he's guilty. No chance of error, contamination, not having a TUE etc, etc.

Last edited by: Sanuk: Jul 31, 18 13:56
Quote Reply
Re: Positive Test from WTS Bermuda [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don’t forget that he doesn’t own a clothing company within the sport.

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Re: Positive Test from WTS Bermuda [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
Mexican ITU athlete David Mendoza

He's a foreign athlete so he's guilty. No chance of error, contamination, not having a TUE etc, etc.

He isn't an Olympic medalist, so nope, sorry, we don't cover yours up.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: windschatten: Aug 1, 18 0:37
Re: Positive Test from WTS Bermuda [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You do know what pink text means, right?
Quote Reply
Re: Positive Test from WTS Bermuda [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
It's gotta be the B-Vitamins...it has too...lol. If it was from a reputable source, that stuff is tested in almost every batch at least the stateside stuff.

Fair point (although there are plenty of "stateside stuff" that is also just as sketchy). This is why the conventional recommendation that you will get from any NF will be to not take supplements... If you do, you are A responsible for goes in your body, and B should be looking at the more established and reputable brands (and those with certifications that they clean for sports, and have at least gone through basic testing of their production facilities)... For example,. Triathlon Canada recently published this: https://www.triathloncanada.com/...N-SUPPLEMENT-USE.pdf as guidance for their athletes, coaches, etc.

This is also why if athletes are taking supplements, or even sports nutrition products, the current advice is to record batch numbers off the packaging (or production dates), and to save at least one serving/dose when you finish a package for a couple of weeks after you finish it, just in case you do get caught, so that you have something from the batch you used to send to the lab...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How would this even end up as contamination in a supplement in the first place?

Being cancerous it has no drug approval for any use what so ever so its not like there was a medication production line set up for this, and its not a compound that magically builds when you synthesize some vitamins or mix some calcium and amino acids carelessly together. So unless you buy your supps from an illegal underground chemical lab I don't see how this sort of stuff could even end up in whatever contaminated crap you're taking?
Quote Reply
Re: Positive Test from WTS Bermuda [surrey85] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
surrey85 wrote:
How would this even end up as contamination in a supplement in the first place?

Being cancerous it has no drug approval for any use what so ever so its not like there was a medication production line set up for this, and its not a compound that magically builds when you synthesize some vitamins or mix some calcium and amino acids carelessly together. So unless you buy your supps from an illegal underground chemical lab I don't see how this sort of stuff could even end up in whatever contaminated crap you're taking?

Google USP labs liver deaths

It is a big brand used to be the number one brand at GNC. It happens
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Taking a cancerous substance to finish 33rd in a race....f* that s*.

Not like it was a Kona slot at stake.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Positive Test from WTS Bermuda [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As with most things, there is quite a lot more to the story. The one study that found Cardarine caused cancer used insanely high dosages. At lower doses the drug is actually being researched as a cancer prevention med.

I'm not advocating the use of the drug or doping. Just saying everyone jumps on the "it causes cancer" bandwagon without actually looking into medical research.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...articles/PMC5614479/
Quote Reply
Re: Positive Test from WTS Bermuda [Ralph20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I looked this up I read pretty much only the wikipedia article on it. It cites however two articles on studies that showed that this caused massive cancer in multiple organs of rats and mice in a dosage of 3mg/kg/day. Thats about 150mg per day for an athletic women. I'm sure thats a lot more than you need to see doping effects but is this an insanely high dosage?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, that's super high for this med. There is no known therapeutic dose chart but....a quick trip over to the steroid forums and I saw that many of those guys recommend taking 15-20 mg per day max. No science behind that at all. Just making the point that the doses for the cancer causing claim are very high.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

Fair point (although there are plenty of "stateside stuff" that is also just as sketchy). This is why the conventional recommendation that you will get from any NF will be to not take supplements... If you do, you are A responsible for goes in your body, and B should be looking at the more established and reputable brands (and those with certifications that they clean for sports, and have at least gone through basic testing of their production facilities)... For example,. Triathlon Canada recently published this: https://www.triathloncanada.com/...N-SUPPLEMENT-USE.pdf as guidance for their athletes, coaches, etc.

This is also why if athletes are taking supplements, or even sports nutrition products, the current advice is to record batch numbers off the packaging (or production dates), and to save at least one serving/dose when you finish a package for a couple of weeks after you finish it, just in case you do get caught, so that you have something from the batch you used to send to the lab...

That's my point. I'm talking about supplements that have NSF/GMP, Informed Choice, and Informed Sport stamps on them. I don't touch anything unless it has those.

http://www.nsf.org/services/by-industry/nutritional-products/dietary-supplements-gmp-registration

http://informed-choice.org/

http://www.informed-sport.com/

There's also US Pharmocopeia but that tends to be centered more on your herbal (ie bullshit) supplements. http://www.usp.org/

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply