Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Gravel Bike - Optimal Tire Size [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
What are your thoughts on this tire assuming one could fit it in their frame?

https://www.continental-tires.com/...tires/speed-king-2-2

I once bought a set of those for use on easier mountain bike trails . . . but I never mounted them. I would expect them to give huge shock absorption benefits, but to be rather slow and wallowy on dirt or paved roads.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Bike - Optimal Tire Size [HVP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just tried my first combo gravel ride starting in Calabasas (Rivet Raid, July 21) and while it did not end well for me, the problem was definitely not my tires. I ran a WTB Nano up front and a Schwalbe G-1 All around on the back. It was about 65 pavement and 35 dirt. I tested a 25c Conti tire at 70 psi vs the G-1 at 45 and could not tease out any difference in speed. I really thought I was ordering the G-1 Speed, but I like the look of the allround and mounted it anyway. On the dirt they were great, I just should have lowered the pressure. On the fire roads I bombed past the guys on the 28c mostly road-ish tires. There were a couple of short, squirrelly single track sections that I nearly crashed on before I was reminded I was not going downhill on a mtb. I think for that ride, I would prefer the G-1 Speed, but I have a fire road 100k coming up where I think the 41mm and 36mm tires are going to be perfect.
And as others have said, don't overinflate. I went as low as 25psi today and really liked it better than at 40 or 50. I rode the same loop twice, once at 35 and once at 45psi in the same time and watts. It was windy, so I am going to do more testing, but that was a 50/50 dirt/pavement loop.
Chad
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Bike - Optimal Tire Size [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
but you should know that Compass’ compound is inferior. Check out how their new “road race” tire stacks up against the usual suspects in that category (same compound used in all their other tires fyi).

Are you talking about the bicyclerollingresistance test of Panaracer's Race A Evo 3? I was actually surprised how well that tire scored, considering what Panaracer's protection layers are like.

Tom A. wrote:
Going narrower on tires for the more pavement oriented rides doesn't really gain you much speed, but adds to the discomfort over the rougher sections. By contrast, a smooth treaded, wide tire will have you traveling just as fast on pavement as a narrower tire, but will be way more capable off road, mostly due to the extra "suspension" and lower tire pressures allowable.

Ironically, when I ride my Rat Trap Pass ELs on mixed-surface rides, I notice the biggest advantage on paved sections.

When people err narrow, they need to run more extreme drop to get the tire well-behaved enough to ride the rough stuff, and then they need sidewall protection so that resulting high sidewall exposure doesn't result in cuts... you can end up with a tire that rolls quite poorly. On mountainous double-track that's not always noticeable because speeds are limited by trying to not die, but on the smooth road, efficiency is bared.
Last edited by: HTupolev: Jul 31, 18 15:13
Quote Reply

Prev Next