Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Police say he just stood his ground [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
[Once the guy backs down the shooter could have done something else, include fire his weapon into the air as a warning.

Newton says that is a really bad option and doesn't recommend it.
Quote Reply
Re: Police say he just stood his ground [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
Nova wrote:
Is it really necessary for them to note the color of the guy that got shot? They didn't say the white guy that did the shooting.

How else do you get the attention of the race baiters?

Just making sure their was a reason.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Re: Police say he just stood his ground [Nova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nova wrote:
JSA wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
Isn’t it up to the DA whether or not the shooter should be charged?

Today he was charged with manslaughter.

The Florida man who invoked the "stand your ground" self-defense law after shooting a black man in a dispute over a parking space was charged Monday with manslaughter, officials said.

Michael Drejka, 48, was arrested Monday morning in the fatal July shooting of Markeis McGlockton in Clearwater, Florida -- an incident that was caught on video which sparked an uproar after its release.

https://www.yahoo.com/...news-topstories.html

Is it really necessary for them to note the color of the guy that got shot? They didn't say the white guy that did the shooting.

Ummm..im just gonna go out on a limb and guess they didnt say it becasue there is a color photograph of him?

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Police say he just stood his ground [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
klehner wrote:
JSA wrote:
mck414 wrote:
I finally watched the video, I cannot put myself in the shooter's state of mind, but from the video there is no way he should even drew his weapon. The other guy was backing away. I think the shooter was just looking for an excuse to shot someone.

I tend to agree. He was definitely looking for a fight. From a prior article, he has engaged in these confrontations before. He was trying to provoke a reaction. He got one. Then, it sure looked like he wanted to shoot someone. I won't pretend to know his state of mind, but, I, personally, cannot see any justification for the shooting based on the video alone. Perhaps there is more evidence to be revealed, but, I cannot fathom what could make this a justified shooting.

As you indicate, we cannot know his state of mind, despite the obvious conclusion that he was looking for the opportunity to shoot someone. This, to me, shows one of the issues with "Stand Your Ground" laws.

I'm not sure it is limited to stand your ground laws (thinking out loud here, not rejecting your premise). For all intents and purposes, California is a stand your ground state in the sense that there is no requirement to flee (although they do not call it a stand your ground law). Even when there is a requirement to flee if possible, we debate what that means. I think the notion of stand your ground gets blurred.

Where I do think there is a problem is how some people interpret those rules. I think some people believe this gives them an "enhanced" right to use deadly force. I think some people get the wild west mentality and believe they now have a right to shoot when then have been "wronged," as opposed to when there is a reasonable apprehension of one's own life.

That is pretty much the attitude the LEO who said he couldn't charge him took. "Well, what can we do?"

As to the time gap at 1:21 in the video, I think they just edited out the actual moment he was shot to reduce the graphic nature of the video.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Police say he just stood his ground [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:

Ummm..im just gonna go out on a limb and guess they didnt say it becasue there is a color photograph of him?

I don't know, looks like he could be one of those white hispanics.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Police say he just stood his ground [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
JSA wrote:
klehner wrote:
JSA wrote:
mck414 wrote:
I finally watched the video, I cannot put myself in the shooter's state of mind, but from the video there is no way he should even drew his weapon. The other guy was backing away. I think the shooter was just looking for an excuse to shot someone.

I tend to agree. He was definitely looking for a fight. From a prior article, he has engaged in these confrontations before. He was trying to provoke a reaction. He got one. Then, it sure looked like he wanted to shoot someone. I won't pretend to know his state of mind, but, I, personally, cannot see any justification for the shooting based on the video alone. Perhaps there is more evidence to be revealed, but, I cannot fathom what could make this a justified shooting.

As you indicate, we cannot know his state of mind, despite the obvious conclusion that he was looking for the opportunity to shoot someone. This, to me, shows one of the issues with "Stand Your Ground" laws.

I'm not sure it is limited to stand your ground laws (thinking out loud here, not rejecting your premise). For all intents and purposes, California is a stand your ground state in the sense that there is no requirement to flee (although they do not call it a stand your ground law). Even when there is a requirement to flee if possible, we debate what that means. I think the notion of stand your ground gets blurred.

Where I do think there is a problem is how some people interpret those rules. I think some people believe this gives them an "enhanced" right to use deadly force. I think some people get the wild west mentality and believe they now have a right to shoot when then have been "wronged," as opposed to when there is a reasonable apprehension of one's own life.

That is pretty much the attitude the LEO who said he couldn't charge him took. "Well, what can we do?"

As to the time gap at 1:21 in the video, I think they just edited out the actual moment he was shot to reduce the graphic nature of the video.

I may be giving too much credit to the LEO, but, I suspect it had to do with a misunderstanding about the elements of SYG. I think many people wrongly believe there is only the subjective element of SYG - i.e., whether the shooter believed he was in danger. They forget there is also an objective element - i.e., whether a reasonable person in the same or similar situation would believe he/she was in danger.

It may very well be true this guy, in the truest sense, really, honestly, believed he was in danger. But, that is not enough to justify the shooting. That is only the first element. A reasonable person must feel the same. That is where is has a losing case.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Last edited by: JSA: Aug 14, 18 11:22
Quote Reply
Re: Police say he just stood his ground [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
Nova wrote:
JSA wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
Isn’t it up to the DA whether or not the shooter should be charged?

Today he was charged with manslaughter.

The Florida man who invoked the "stand your ground" self-defense law after shooting a black man in a dispute over a parking space was charged Monday with manslaughter, officials said.

Michael Drejka, 48, was arrested Monday morning in the fatal July shooting of Markeis McGlockton in Clearwater, Florida -- an incident that was caught on video which sparked an uproar after its release.

https://www.yahoo.com/...news-topstories.html

Does the color of the shooters skin, or the color of the dead guy really matter? Or is it only important if the shooter is white and the dead guy is black? If the shooter was blackand the dead guy was white we wouldn't even be talking about it, it would be murder 1 right away.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
j p o wrote:
JSA wrote:
klehner wrote:
JSA wrote:
mck414 wrote:

I may be giving too much credit to the LEO, but, I suspect it had to do with a misunderstanding about the elements of SYG. I think many people wrongly believe there is only the subjective element of SYG - i.e., whether the shooter believed he was in danger. They forget there is also an objective element - i.e., whether a reasonable person in the same or similar situation would believe he/she was in danger.

It may very well be true this guy, in the truest sense, really, honestly, believed he was in danger. But, that is not enough to justify the shooting. That is only the first element. A reasonable person must feel the same. That is where is has a losing case.

Just curious: does it matter at all what actions were taken by the protagonist and the antagonist that resulted in the shooting?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Police say he just stood his ground [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
summitt wrote:
Why is there a small gap in the video at 1:21?

I saw it too and just assumed it was because the source didn't want to show the victim's immediate reaction to being shot. It appears to me that the pistol recoils at 1:21 (showing the shot) but the immediate reaction has been edited out. That said, look at how far the bystander to the right moved in that time - 15 feet *and* had time to turn and crouch. That's at least two, maybe three seconds.

All in all, though, it seems like the only thing that matters was what transpired before 1:21 when the pistol recoils.

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: Police say he just stood his ground [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:

Just curious: does it matter at all what actions were taken by the protagonist and the antagonist that resulted in the shooting?

Absolutely. It is very difficult to argue SYG justified the shooting if you are the one who initiated the confrontation. Understand, however, those rolls can flip flop.

Shooter initiated the verbal confrontation. Then the victim escalated the situation to a physical one by shoving shooter to the ground. At that point, the victim because the aggressor and the shooter became the person entitled to stand his ground. The fact that shooter initiated the verbal confrontation does not prevent him from asserting he became the victim, entitled to use deadly force to defend himself, once the encounter turned physical. However, after knocking shooter to the ground, we see no evidence of further aggression that would warrant the use of deadly force.

Now, also keep in mind, a jury is made up of regular people - biases and all. So, the fact that shooter is the one who started the entire confrontation, setting in motion to events that then transpired, will most likely sway the minds of the jurors in one form or another.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Police say he just stood his ground [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
There are reports surfacing now that he had at least three similar incidents prior to the shooting.

https://www.cnn.com/...incidents/index.html

Makes me wonder how many other incidents there are that weren't reported.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Now, also keep in mind, a jury is made up of regular people - biases and all. So, the fact that shooter is the one who started the entire confrontation, setting in motion to events that then transpired, will most likely sway the minds of the jurors in one form or another.

Something of an aside: One of the most educational experiences I've ever had was an evening observing (from behind a one-way mirror) a mock jury deliberate after being presented the competing arguments in a high-dollar personal injury and medical malpractice case. I was helping defense counsel. One of the other litigators in the big, Downtown LA defense firm videotaped the plaintiff's anticipated opening statement*, and the lawyer trying the case videotaped the defense's opening statement. The mock jury was shown the videos and was then asked to deliberate the case and render a verdict. It was utterly fascinating to see what they focused on and what they ignored. Frankly, they ignored the most important issues and got themselves wrapped around the minor, unimportant ones.

War is god
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
mck414 wrote:

Easy, put the shooter in a uniform and give him a badge...
Quote Reply
Re: Police say he just stood his ground [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:
jkca1 wrote:
[Once the guy backs down the shooter could have done something else, include fire his weapon into the air as a warning.

Considering the situation I think Newton might have chosen it too.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
jkca1 wrote:

There is not a single instructor anywhere in the world that will ever tell you to "fire your weapon into the air" to scare someone off. You either shoot at center mass or you don't shoot. This is not an old western movie, it is real life, and shooting a weapon into the air is not only illegal, it is stupid and very dangerous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've broken the video down by the second in slow motion.

1:17 violent push to ground
Deceased continues to approach and shooter gains his orientation
1:19 deceased stops and adjust his pants at the same time the shooter starts his draw.
1:19 bystander realizes whats going down before the gun is fully displayed.
1:20 gun is out, aimed, and the deceased takes one small step back
1:20 then you can see the gun recoil which then makes the deceased take another larger step back from impact.

Given one second to determine if it was self defense versus manslaughter, I think the jury is going to have a hard time finding him guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

It's real hard to tell where the first recoil tool place, after the first small step back or after the big step back.
Last edited by: summitt: Aug 14, 18 13:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trial starts today.

The manslaughter trial for a man involved in a deadly dispute last summer involving a handicapped parking spot in Florida, fueling renewed debate over the state's "stand your ground law," was set to begin Monday.
Michael Drejka, a 49-year-old white man, initially was not arrested for fatally shooting Markeis McGlockton, a 28-year-old black man, on July 19, 2018. Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri declined to arrest Drejka, noting Florida's "stand your ground" law, which allows citizens to defend themselves if they fear “imminent death or great bodily harm.’’
Prosecutors ultimately charged Drejka with manslaughter. Pinellas County State Attorney Bernie McCabe told USA TODAY last year he believes Drejka's self-defense claim can be disproved.

https://www.yahoo.com/...egins-144251464.html

Quote Reply
Re: Police say he just stood his ground [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
summitt wrote:

1:19 deceased stops and adjust his pants at the same time the shooter starts his draw.
1:20 then you can see the gun recoil which then makes the deceased take another larger step back from impact.

Given one second to determine if it was self defense versus manslaughter, I think the jury is going to have a hard time finding him guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

It's real hard to tell where the first recoil tool place, after the first small step back or after the big step back.

Recoil or not, the guys FIRST action was to go for his gun. There would have to be a lot more evidence shown for me to let this guy off.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Police say he just stood his ground [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
summitt wrote:

Recoil or not, the guys FIRST action was to go for his gun. There would have to be a lot more evidence shown for me to let this guy off.

Not to mention his history of threatening to kill previous people in very similar situations. Certainly seems like a guy looking for an excuse to shoot someone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
jkca1 wrote:

My doctoral dissertation research used people with spinal cord injuries. One was a kid who got hit by a bullet from people firing guns in the air to celebrate something or another. Talk about shitty luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guilty

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Police say he just stood his ground [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good, this stand your ground shit was just getting out of hand, perhaps this message will get through to some people who still think about this stuff...
Quote Reply
Re: Police say he just stood his ground [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Good, this stand your ground shit was just getting out of hand, perhaps this message will get through to some people who still think about this stuff...

I wonder how it would have come out if the video didn't exist, given that the shooter claimed the victim was coming at him when he shot him?
Quote Reply
Re: Police say he just stood his ground [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is no doubt in my mind that if that video did not exist, he would be a free man today. Thus the absurdity of the law in question that he used to kill a guy over a parking space...The NRA and gun whackos have taken protect your home to the extreme end, and protecting just about anything, anywhere is now fair game...Almost makes me want to go out and get a concealed gun..Wait a minute....
Quote Reply
Re: Police say he just stood his ground [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
There is no doubt in my mind that if that video did not exist, he would be a free man today. Thus the absurdity of the law in question that he used to kill a guy over a parking space...The NRA and gun whackos have taken protect your home to the extreme end, and protecting just about anything, anywhere is now fair game...Almost makes me want to go out and get a concealed gun..Wait a minute....

This is the problem with many laws -- everyone has a particular scenario in mind without considering the gamut of possibilities. In fairness, it is difficult to protect ordinary, innocent Americans when dispersed among them are people that are fascinated with the idea of needing to shoot others at any moment.
Quote Reply

Prev Next