Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is Low Body Temperature normal?
Quote | Reply
About 10 days ago my long brick left me wiped out - more than usual. I took my temp and it was 96.5. Since then I have taken my temp daily and it is always between 96.0 and 97.5 . My wife reads 98.6 on the same thermometer. In the old days when I didn't train long I was at 98.6.

Does low body temp go hand in hand with a lowered resting heartrate?

I have also been fighting off a sinus infection but have reduced my training considerably and don't feel overly tired. I have made an appt with my doc but he does not have experience with endurance training.

Thanks for any input.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Low Body Temperature normal? [DanP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My temp has been in the 97-97.5 range for as long as I can remember. Fitness - or lack thereof - has not shown any effect on it. Whenever it's shown up that way in a doctor's office, no one treats it as an issue. On the other hand, if it reaches 98.6 we start treating it as a low grade fever. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Low body temperature can be caused by a lack of oxygen in your blood. Your sinus infection could be causing the difference in your body temp. To be safe I would check with your doctor.

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Re: Is Low Body Temperature normal? [Hid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have always had low body temp,i guess i got it from Mom shes low also,mine is anywhere from 92 to high of 96
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
98.6 is used because it is an AVERAGE temperature. Mine has been 96 since I was a child, and although I would often try to fake being sick, my dad was a pediatrician and declared my fit every time.

http://irondad06.blogspot.com/

http://irondad.blogspot.com/

Quote Reply
Re: Is Low Body Temperature normal? [IronDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As irondad said 98.6 is an average temp arrived at by taking the temp of a large group of people and you have the average temp which most people call "normal" which is a misstatement. Everyone has their own nl temp but since yours has changed it could be your sinus problem a hydration problem etc.

Instead of worring just keep an eye on it and it will probably normalize for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Low Body Temperature normal? [randall t] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
98.6 is an average, but the standard deviation is very, very small. Almost everyone who thinks they run low temperatures, takes their temp wrong.

Core temperatures are almost uniformly within a half a degree of 98.6 (taken at the same time of day...everyones temperature varies by 1-1.5 degrees on a regular cycle throughout the day). In the age of tympanic sensors, forhead strips, and even temporal artery laser sampling, the old standard is still the gold standard...

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Is Low Body Temperature normal? [smartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
98.6 is an average, but the standard deviation is very, very small. Almost everyone who thinks they run low temperatures, takes their temp wrong.

Core temperatures are almost uniformly within a half a degree of 98.6 (taken at the same time of day...everyones temperature varies by 1-1.5 degrees on a regular cycle throughout the day). In the age of tympanic sensors, forhead strips, and even temporal artery laser sampling, the old standard is still the gold standard...

Mean human body (oral) temperature is 98.25 F. Normal daily variation is 0.9 F. Standard deviation for this figure is 0.73 F, standard error of the mean is 0.064 F.

Original research: http://jama.ama-assn.org/...abstract/268/12/1578

Statistical analysis http://www.amstat.org/...asets.shoemaker.html

Given that, I would say almost everyone who thinks that they run an oral temperature lower than 98.6 F is right, and almost everyone who thinks that they run a normal temperature of 98.6 F is wrong, or perhaps taking their temperature rectally.

Ray

--

Ray
Quote Reply
Re: Is Low Body Temperature normal? [Ray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the input.

I find this more interesting than worrisome - kind of like a science experiment.

If I leave the thermometer in for 3-4 minutes the temp is never above 96.5. If I leave it in for 8+ minutes it stabilizes at 97.0. Why so long? I always take my temp at about 6pm - when it should be highest.

I think the best solution is to stop taking my temp unless I feel really bad.
Quote Reply