Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Service life of HRM strap [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you talking about replacing the HR unit or just the strap?

My HR has suddenly started randomly reading >200 mid run. (I had to stop and manually count my beats to make sure i wasn't just about to die).
Quote Reply
Re: Service life of HRM strap [JRC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JRC wrote:
.....essentially, what happens, is over time the conductive strip inside breaks down and gets more resisitive, the more you use it the faster it breaks down (duh!) , but I think certain sweat types speed it up, as does frequent machine washing, and especially tumble drying (if you forget to pull it out at the end of a wash)

as mentioned, the best bet is probably a hand wash and rinse.
People are putting these in the washing machine and surprised they don't last forever?
I'm not saying they have superb lifespan, but if you wash them with detergent and/or in a washing machine, you can't have many complaints if it fails!
All a strap really needs is to prevent lots of salt build-up. Rinsing the strap in warm water for a few minutes every so often should take care of that. I used detergent on the elastic only portion of the band from time to time too (again by hand) but avoided getting detergent on the electronics. My Tri strap that came with my 920XT tri bundle is still working fine - it was heavily used for a year or so and occasional use since. My 10 year old hard strap that came with a 305 back in 2008 still works too after having been used a lot for several years, but it's not comfy and so is sitting in a box for a long time now. I've moved on to the Scosche Rhythm+ and find it both reliable and comfortable. It's just the device plus a simple velcro strap to hold it on which can be washed any way you like. First one got a bit ragged after 18 months so I replaced it for about €10.
Quote Reply
Re: Service life of HRM strap [RCCo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RCCo wrote:
Are you talking about replacing the HR unit or just the strap?

My HR has suddenly started randomly reading >200 mid run. (I had to stop and manually count my beats to make sure i wasn't just about to die).

I replaced the elastic strap last year.
Quote Reply
Re: Service life of HRM strap [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I moved from Polar to Garmin late 2016, and already on my third HRM strap. First was a cheap (new) stud-fasten transmitter on a Polar strap (lasted 6 months) second was a Garmin HRM (red one) which lasted just under a year, now on to a HRM Tri which at £80 I do not consider consumable! The fact that the Garmin HRM is integrated into the strap means there's no redundancy like the modular style straps.

Not impressed tbh.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Service life of HRM strap [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scosche Rhythm+
With the new one just released you can find the older version at reduced prices. Much cheaper than the Garmin and much more comfortable IMO. The only problem for me is battery life which is marginal for some long events, and insufficient for IM at 7-8hrs. The new version (Scosche 24) addresses that.
Quote Reply
Re: Service life of HRM strap [Iron Dukie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My third Garmin HRM strap has failed me inside 2 years; my current HRM Tri lasted 6 months before dying today. They really are sh!t.

It's like Garmin design them as expensive consumables....

29 years and counting
Quote Reply

Prev Next