Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Do I really need a TT/Tri Bike? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
so, when you talk about opening your hips, etc., yes, but what tom and i are talking about is whether you can retrofit a road bike to duplicate your tri position exactly. and, yes. you can. but most of our ass-over-teakettle crashes stopped taking place once we moved to bikes made for the position, and there is one thing i've always wondered which tom can help with: what happens to Crr when you add an extra 20lb to the wheel? and i don't mean the drive wheel, but, what happens when you add payload to the wheelbarrow. i'd like to see the results of that test.

Since by definition the Crr is the ratio of retarding force to wheel load, the Crr of each tire is unchanged. However, the retarding force attributable to the front wheel is increased by Crr (front tire) x 20lb...then again, the rear wheel retarding force is reduced by Crr (rear tire) x 20lbs. If one is running the same tires front and rear, then it all "comes out in the wash", and the total retarding force attributable to both wheels together is basically unchanged.

In fact, if one is running the same Crr tires front and rear, then one can estimate the total retarding force by just multiplying the Crr by the total bike+ rider weight. The distribution of retarding forces front and rear will be proportional to the weight distribution percentages.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Do I really need a TT/Tri Bike? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Slowman wrote:

so, when you talk about opening your hips, etc., yes, but what tom and i are talking about is whether you can retrofit a road bike to duplicate your tri position exactly. and, yes. you can. but most of our ass-over-teakettle crashes stopped taking place once we moved to bikes made for the position, and there is one thing i've always wondered which tom can help with: what happens to Crr when you add an extra 20lb to the wheel? and i don't mean the drive wheel, but, what happens when you add payload to the wheelbarrow. i'd like to see the results of that test.

Since by definition the Crr is the ratio of retarding force to wheel load, the Crr of each tire is unchanged. However, the retarding force attributable to the front wheel is increased by Crr (front tire) x 20lb...then again, the rear wheel retarding force is reduced by Crr (rear tire) x 20lbs. If one is running the same tires front and rear, then it all "comes out in the wash", and the total retarding force attributable to both wheels together is basically unchanged.

In fact, if one is running the same Crr tires front and rear, then one can estimate the total retarding force by just multiplying the Crr by the total bike+ rider weight. The distribution of retarding forces front and rear will be proportional to the weight distribution percentages.

i hear you bro. i would still be interested in seeing it tested.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
Slowman wrote:

i hear you bro. i would still be interested in seeing it tested.

My suspicion is that if there are any effects outside of what I described above, it would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to "tease them out" in any sort of measurement, especially in field testing.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Do I really need a TT/Tri Bike? [Changpao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Changpao wrote:
I think one of the more overlooked benefits of switching from a road bike, even one diligently set up to resemble a tri-bike, to an acutal TT bike is the run. When considering a TT bike, we all ask "how much faster will I be on the bike?". I definitely got faster on the bike when I switched from my road bike (which had aerobars), but I also improved on the run. I'll defer to the experts on this forum, but my general sense is that having my hips more open and being less scrunched up in an aero position saved me energy on the bike that I could devote to the run. It's something to consider when deciding whether to make the switch. (By the way, I would never recommend getting a TT bike without first getting a fitting).

worth considering: if you do an IM in a road position vs. tri bike position and the tri bike position is 30mins faster, that's also 30mins less you have been working out by the time you get to the run.
Quote Reply
Re: Do I really need a TT/Tri Bike? [Blabelzabel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blabelzabel wrote:
Hi Forum,

being a runner I started Triathlon two years ago with an Aero-Roadbike with Clip-Ons. Over the past months I "converted" this bike to a Tri-only bike by:
  • a forward seatpost giving me 76° seat angle
  • a split-nose saddle (ISM PN3) making it possible to sit on it´s front in aero-position
  • removing all spacers and change to -17° stem
  • change the dropbar to a Syntace Stratos CX basebar with PD Supersonic (J5) bracket and 35a extensions
  • upgrade to SRAM eTap (to be able to shift in both positions)
  • change front brake to TriRig Omega and modify cableing to make it "cleaner"
  • planned for winter: change stem and hydration to PD Aeria Ultimate

IMHO this is now pretty close to a Tri Bike... or not? The only parameters I cannot change is the seat-angle (76° is max - can´t make it steeper) and the tall headtube. About the seat-angle I am not sure if I would need/benefit from anything above 76° - though that would at least give me more options. The tall headtube also seems to be no problem as I could still go lower should I wish (different stem, undermount bracket). Besides, in real life I see a lot of short-headtube bikes that then use all kinds of spacers and risers anyway.

As much as I would like to apply rule N+1 I cannot find reasons to justify that. Or what am I missing? What would a proper Tri-Frame give me? Better position, more comfort, ease of use/ride? I currently do HIM and OD (no LD plans), and ride approx 3,3W/kg which usually means between 36 and 38km/h average.

I attach a pic (sorry for the bad quality) and appreciate your feedback. Let me know if you need more information.

Do you need one? No

Is money an issue? Enjoy your road bike stress free, you have a lot of room to grow from 36km/h

If money is not an issue, yes go and get it, go for the most pimped out ride out there, plus disk and all you can think about, why second guess yourself if equipment is stopping your from winning KONA ;) Get equipment question out of the training, but I must warn you: you will not have anything to blame for for your bad performance, if you stil lgo 37km/h it will not be your bike, frame, wheels etc, it will be you :)
Quote Reply
Re: Do I really need a TT/Tri Bike? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Valid point, but the set-ups we are comparing here are not nearly so drastically diffrerent as to create a 30' gap--this isn't comparing full road set up to full tri set up. Since your set-up has been posted here, you cannot possibly understand the discomfort and misery that my tri bike is bringing me for a position far less aggressive than yours. There is zero fun in riding it and it isn't that much faster, if at all, because its uncomfortable and I'm out of the bars so often. And, yes, I have put in the time to let my body try to adjust. I laugh at people who say they can sit in aerobars all day long. That must be nice. I can't even sit on a fluffy couch all day long and stay comfortable. So, for me, my journey has led me to the decision that this is the best plan to maximize my enjoyment and come close to maximizing my speed as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Do I really need a TT/Tri Bike? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok fine. 15 minutes. whatever. the number itself is somewhat irrelevant, the point is that with an improved, and sustainable position you save yourself a fair amount of working out.

sounds like you have other problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the feedback so far!

Suppose you didn´t persuade me to not get a Tri-Bike (or Frame in my case), what would (or wouldn´t?) be the information I can get out of the geo-data?

The left is the current frame, and the three right columns are potential Tri options. Those three look quite alike, don´t they? I am 187cm with 88cm inseam.

Any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much did you spend on those upgrades?

A decent Cannondale Slice, QR Lucero, Older P3 run about $750-1,200....I don't see the big "hurdle" here... just buy one, use it on the trainer / outside, and have two bikes...I like riding my tri bike and road bike equally...and happy I have both....save yourself the hours you're doing right now researching and trying to make something fit...
Last edited by: triczyk: Jul 19, 18 5:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aero bars predated frames with more forward geometry by a year or two. At the time, TT bikes had pretty laid back seat tubes with real low front ends and bullhorn bars.

The modifications you made were typical of the approach many riders used to adapt to the new technology. And it works very well.

The one issue that others have pointed out is the center of gravity is all kaflooey and the bike handles for crap and will send you over the bars more easily. For a TT event on a flat road with a turn around, not a big deal. If you race more hilly and technical events you will need to take some extra care going around corners and bombing down hills.

I guess if I get a vote, my feeling is that if you get gung ho into individual start events, then buy one of the many cheap TT bikes people are selling used after figuring out the size issues. Used aluminum TT bikes seem to go for very reasonable prices and a low end machine will be a great value for you
Last edited by: jroden: Jul 19, 18 7:05
Quote Reply

Prev Next