Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Swim Training Similar To 'Run Less Run Faster' Program [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
domingjm being you highjacked my post :) .... how are you interpreting this for a 2:00/per 100 guy like me.

realistically I'd like to work towards even becoming a 1:40/100 while holding on to my bike/run.

What should workouts look like base off 3 swims a week?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Training Similar To 'Run Less Run Faster' Program [thunderdouble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thunderdouble wrote:
domingjm being you highjacked my post :) .... how are you interpreting this for a 2:00/per 100 guy like me.

realistically I'd like to work towards even becoming a 1:40/100 while holding on to my bike/run.

Thanks!

I'm certainly no swim coach, but I don't see why you wouldn't benefit, probably to an even greater extent than me. The pace that works me is about a best-effort 250. I've been doing these in sets of 100 with 20sec rest. It took two workouts before I determined that pace. That said, your goal distance is about 3x longer than mine, so presumably your repeat distances will be greater. But as Eric said somewhere in here, it's probably a good strategy to mix in a variety of distances with a variety of rest. I would definitely give it a shot. As a side note, over the distance that you're a 2:00/100 guy, I'm definitely a DNF guy. Haha.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Training Similar To 'Run Less Run Faster' Program [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HA! Thanks domingjm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
domingjm wrote:
thunderdouble wrote:

Thanks!

I'm certainly no swim coach, but I don't see why you wouldn't benefit, probably to an even greater extent than me. The pace that works me is about a best-effort 250. I've been doing these in sets of 100 with 20sec rest. It took two workouts before I determined that pace. That said, your goal distance is about 3x longer than mine, so presumably your repeat distances will be greater. But as Eric said somewhere in here, it's probably a good strategy to mix in a variety of distances with a variety of rest. I would definitely give it a shot. As a side note, over the distance that you're a 2:00/100 guy, I'm definitely a DNF guy. Haha.

So you're using your all-out 250 yd time as a pace per 100 yd for your 20 x 100 yd on 20 sec rest intervals??? That's different, usually people aim to hit their 1000 yd or 1650 yd pace in a relatively long set like 20 x 100. How does your 250 pace compare to your 1650 pace??? For me, i'd be about 5-6 sec/100 slower in the 1650 than in a 250, which is obv a pretty sig diff.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Training Similar To 'Run Less Run Faster' Program [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
domingjm wrote:
thunderdouble wrote:

Thanks!

So you're using your all-out 250 yd time as a pace per 100 yd for your 20 x 100 yd on 20 sec rest intervals??? That's different, usually people aim to hit their 1000 yd or 1650 yd pace in a relatively long set like 20 x 100. How does your 250 pace compare to your 1650 pace??? For me, i'd be about 5-6 sec/100 slower in the 1650 than in a 250, which is obv a pretty sig diff.

I've never done a time trial (in a pool) for anything over 500 so I'm really not sure how they relate. But yeah, my effort on the 250s was a pretty solid effort and I've been able to do 100s at that pace, having not failed until the 14th rep with 20sec rest. It was pretty rough but I enjoyed it after I was done.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
domingjm wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
domingjm wrote:
thunderdouble wrote:

Thanks!

I've never done a time trial (in a pool) for anything over 500 so I'm really not sure how they relate. But yeah, my effort on the 250s was a pretty solid effort and I've been able to do 100s at that pace, having not failed until the 14th rep with 20sec rest. It was pretty rough but I enjoyed it after I was done.

OK, so how does your 250 pace compare with your 500 pace??? Also, did you rest for one interval and then continue??? How many more until 2nd failure, or did you make all 20???

Quote Reply
Re: Swim Training Similar To 'Run Less Run Faster' Program [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
domingjm wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
domingjm wrote:
thunderdouble wrote:

Thanks!

OK, so how does your 250 pace compare with your 500 pace??? Also, did you rest for one interval and then continue??? How many more until 2nd failure, or did you make all 20???

Eh, 250 pace is maybe 5 or 6 seconds faster than 500 pace. Yes, I rested for one interval then continued. On that day I made it to 18 and tapped out. They ended up being 1:18/100 with 20sec rest (okay, maybe a couple 25sec). I could *probably* make 20 of them at 1:20/100. I'll probably bump it up to intervals of 125y on the next go-around.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
domingjm wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
domingjm wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
domingjm wrote:
thunderdouble wrote:

Thanks!

Eh, 250 pace is maybe 5 or 6 seconds faster than 500 pace. Yes, I rested for one interval then continued. On that day I made it to 18 and tapped out. They ended up being 1:18/100 with 20sec rest (okay, maybe a couple 25sec). I could *probably* make 20 of them at 1:20/100. I'll probably bump it up to intervals of 125y on the next go-around.

OK, if you keep after it, you should be able to get that down to a 2-3 sec diff, which is the typical diff for good distance swimmers. Just keep working and your pace at all distances will gradually get faster!!!

Quote Reply
Re: Swim Training Similar To 'Run Less Run Faster' Program [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. I understand that it’s a popular prescriptive in the triathlon community because it can have the feel and look of FTP. But I’m not a big fan of “test sets.” I’d rather coach and observe the athletes I coach on daily basis and respond to what they are capable of doing in that workout and not what a test set told me they should be doing from a few weeks earlier. Getting athletes to peak performance is too dynamic to rely that heavily on a single test set to determine workouts moving forward.

My view of a lot of these popular test sets is to give “certified” coaches the illusion that they know what they are doing.

Hope this helps.

Tim

http://www.magnoliamasters.com
http://www.snappingtortuga.com
http://www.swimeasyspeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Training Similar To 'Run Less Run Faster' Program [SnappingT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a great workout Sunday, felt alright Monday, and was crap yesterday. I think if I had a coach watching me who really knew what (s)he was doing, I wouldn’t have got into this hole. Meh. My hunch is that the more intensity based the program the more you need a guiding hand...

That said...

I am offering a money back guarantee swim program. Anyone who does for 4 weeks will make significant improvements.

200-300 warmup build so the last 25 is very intense.

Rest, recover, stretch for 90 seconds.

Mainset:
20 minutes of 50s at the highest intensity you can maintain for the entire duration. Rest interval = work interval. If you can hold 30s, do them on a minute for 20 total.

If you slow down, take one off. If you are still slow call it a day and adjust your expectations tomorrow.

Warm down = 200 easy. But make it smooth and when you are done with the warmdown you need to be able to tell yourself you could do 5 more (but don’t!)

30 minutes, 5 days a week.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Training Similar To 'Run Less Run Faster' Program [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Money back!? Schweet!!! I can't lose!
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Training Similar To 'Run Less Run Faster' Program [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting this. I'll give it a go. In fact, I tried this morning - the equal recovery seemed easy at first (I've never done that long - fast swim sets, yes, but not with that much recovery). I was able to hammer every single 50, and feel like I was barely making it towards the end (no failure though). We'll see how it goes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:

Mainset:
20 minutes of 50s at the highest intensity you can maintain for the entire duration. Rest interval = work interval. If you can hold 30s, do them on a minute for 20 total.

If you slow down, take one off. If you are still slow call it a day and adjust your expectations tomorrow.

That's pretty close to a text book USPRT set for 200 free race pace. It's a little more rest than they prescribe (20 seconds), but I've found a little more rest to sometimes be beneficial (although I'd personally suggest capping it at 30 seconds, regardless of your "work time.")

200 free is kind of a golden distance to work at, with strong up- and down-distance effect. Get better at this set, you'll almost undoubtedly be better at everything from the 100 to the 1500m/1650y/1.2miOW.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Jul 27, 18 10:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
I had a great workout Sunday, felt alright Monday, and was crap yesterday. I think if I had a coach watching me who really knew what (s)he was doing, I wouldn’t have got into this hole. Meh. My hunch is that the more intensity based the program the more you need a guiding hand...

That said...

I am offering a money back guarantee swim program. Anyone who does for 4 weeks will make significant improvements.

200-300 warmup build so the last 25 is very intense.

Rest, recover, stretch for 90 seconds.

Mainset:

Warm down = 200 easy. But make it smooth and when you are done with the warmdown you need to be able to tell yourself you could do 5 more (but don’t!)

30 minutes, 5 days a week.

What is the race distance that you're applying this workout strategy toward?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with what Gary wrote above.

200/500 free in the pool which translates to everything in triathlon (even 2.4).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the strict usrpt version of that in the late spring. Not quite 5x per week. I'm sure I'd have made more advances if I could have done 5x. I dropped from 55s per 50y to 46s in about 6 weeks. But, I plateaued at that 46s.

I've been doing 75y reps for the month of July. It's taken a while, but I just managed 24 reps in a row at 1:36/100y pace.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to know for sure, but my experience with these sets is that they work great for training the neuromuscular side. Pace gains come fast if you just need to get used to quicker strokes or more force. But once you hit a fitness limit, it just takes time to build that fitness.

When I upgraded to the 75y reps, it increased my volume by 50% at the same time. I went from 1600-1800 yards per session to 2600. I think it just took a few weeks to adapt to the additional volume. Dunno. Maybe I'm wrong about that.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Training Similar To 'Run Less Run Faster' Program [thunderdouble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can google USRPT or Sprint Salo. Dave Salo wrote a book about race pace training. I’ve written a bunch on the pro camps I’ve held in Texas. You can find some of it on Slowtwitch, Lava and the Magnolia Masters website.

The one thing I would say is that USRPT isn’t perfect. It’s an idea from an exercise scientist who doesn’t have any swim coaching experience. I’ve spent the last 5 years continually tweaking how I coach a race pace/intensity approach. The past year I’ve implemented another big adjustment. So doing the research on this is a start, but what I’ve found is there is a lot to be improved upon from there.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Tim

Quote Reply
Re: Swim Training Similar To 'Run Less Run Faster' Program [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The vast majority of efficient swimming is the neuro-muscular side.

Quote Reply
Re: Swim Training Similar To 'Run Less Run Faster' Program [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
thunderdouble wrote:

I know a lot of folks aren't a fan of the RLRF approach but I've had a tremendous amount of success with it as a time crunched individual.

It's successful right up until you pick up a chronic injury :)

I know a lot of people who use the RLRF, but they are constantly picking up injuries. You might not have yet, but I'd be conscious of this. Running is one of the most injurious sports out there.

I had the exact opposite experience wih RFRL. I was constantly getting injured half way through a 12 or 16 week marathon build....like every single year. I started RFRL and ran a 3:12 marathon at age 55...injur
y free.
Obviously no program works for everyone...but put me in the RFRL believer camp.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Training Similar To 'Run Less Run Faster' Program [SnappingT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SnappingT wrote:
No. I understand that it’s a popular prescriptive in the triathlon community because it can have the feel and look of FTP. But I’m not a big fan of “test sets.” I’d rather coach and observe the athletes I coach on daily basis and respond to what they are capable of doing in that workout and not what a test set told me they should be doing from a few weeks earlier. Getting athletes to peak performance is too dynamic to rely that heavily on a single test set to determine workouts moving forward.

My view of a lot of these popular test sets is to give “certified” coaches the illusion that they know what they are doing.

Hope this helps.

Tim

Interesting - thanks.
Quote Reply

Prev Next